LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Officiating in Falcons Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pickle:
All Personal Foul/Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties should be reviewed. The replay to show that Whitner's hit was legal appeared almost immediately on the tv and could be quickly pushed upstairs for review. Throughout the year, these are the penalties that I find frustrating.

NO, this would really slow the game down. But what I suggested that a coach should be able to throw his red flag if he deems that a personal foul was not called for, just as they can questionable plays. The rules remain the same as far as how many flags they can throw and penalized with a timeout if they're wrong.

If they can review questionable plays they should also be able to review questionable calls. No additional time added and or additional anything.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I really dont understand why people stew on this s**t especially after a win. Its kind of petty.

Because it easily could have been a loss. That 15 yd roughing call made the on side attempt from the 50, and when it was recovered by Atl they were already in FG range. If the 49ers had lost I would be you would have a little more ire. But the officiating in all games is terrible, not just this game. It affects outcomes of games and that is a fact. Perhaps the breaks all even out, but not in the course of one game.

No i wouldnt. If we had lost that game it would have been because we came out flat to start, then let off the gas in the second half after we got comfortable with the lead. The game was not decided by the refs.

Just like i dont/didnt blame the NO game on the refs.

There are a lot of plays through the course of a game and a lot of opportunities. It is a collective, and to boil an entire game down to one or two plays has never and will never make sense to me. Especially when you are boiling it down to flags.
  • Liono
Ok, so what exactly was Whitner penalized for? Hitting a defenseless reciever, or helmet to helment contact would be a personal foul right? Unneccessary roughness is another type of pentalty. But he was flagged for "unsportsman like conduct". That makes it even more WTF. Was he actually flaged for something he said, or for taunting?
Yes it was bad, but they have to get the illegal hit to the head or "defenseless player" down. Right now either one is what an official thinks it is...and that is not good.
I guess you guys missed the miserable 3rd and 19 PI that resulted in what, a touchdown for Niners?
Originally posted by Liono:
Ok, so what exactly was Whitner penalized for? Hitting a defenseless reciever, or helmet to helment contact would be a personal foul right? Unneccessary roughness is another type of pentalty. But he was flagged for "unsportsman like conduct". That makes it even more WTF. Was he actually flaged for something he said, or for taunting?

He was flagged for both. Two flags to Hitner on that play.
Originally posted by NinersGiants:
I guess you guys missed the miserable 3rd and 19 PI that resulted in what, a touchdown for Niners?

shhhh. this is a bash the refs thread.

Look i dont like the zebras any more than anyone else, but these threads are getting ridiculous. Every week there is a new one, then half the posters posting in them go and bash the seahawks fans for complaining about refs and bad calls.
  • Liono
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Now, to be fair about things ... how about the PI by the linebacker on Boldin that extended a drive. That call was atrocious. To be honest, I was sort of glad the 49ers got a FG only, because if they got rewarded with 7 points on such a bad call it just would have felt wrong.

I'd like to see another replay on that, at first glance it seemed like a bad call, but the 2nd time I saw it, it looked like the LB was face guarding Boldin without looking at the ball, and he hand his arms in Boldins space, interfering with Boldin's ability to make the catch, if you do that without turning around it's often called PI.
I think it's becoming more and more of a problem. A single PI call can change the game - we saw it with the saints- if the penalty isn't blatant then keep the flag in your f**king pocket
They need to have a referee in the booth who is reviewing every play. When a flag is thrown, he has final say on the penalty. Simple solution.

FG
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Liono:

He was flagged for both. Two flags to Hitner on that play.

yeah this was what got me. to me, yes, the overall officiating seems to be kinda sloppy this year. obviously we're not experts but even a guy who is (mike pirerra) has made comments agreeing to that. seems to be getting worse. but hey, bad calls happen, good teams overcome.

but more importantly, i am going nuts with the explanations on these so called "illegal hits". the thing that drives me most crazy is when people defending the call say "well thats just gonna get called now so live with it". If thats true, then make the rule "you cant hit guys too hard". hiter got him right in the friggin strike zone. i mean right perfect on the ball, no helmet, a marine sniper couldnt have hit it any better.
(then jackson gets right in his face and starts yapping, and hitner gets flagged for UC??? )

but this stupid BS explanation of "you cant hit a guy in the head, but if its a big hit and it sounds bad, then were gonna throw a flag! even if it was perfectly legal, and when you complain about it were just gonna say well, tough s**t, thats how it is now"...its totally bogus, and i worry about that level of hypocritical stupidity
[ Edited by GreenReaperTT on Dec 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
We had big calls go our way too. Stop crying
Originally posted by midrdan:
If any other QB in the league was hit in the face by another guy's helmet it would have been an automatic call. Kaep was still in the pocket and it was a very violent hit to his chin - that should have been called.

Whitner's hit was clean and should not have been called.

That's two plays.
Again that hit by the rules is a flag but I don't think it should be thrown to many time the defender starts a tackle and just by the way each player is moving (Falling,ducking ect) the helmets hit. Should be a no call. Brooks hit on Brees should have been a no call but since Brees tried to duck the arm came up in into the helmet area and they threw the flag. Both should have been non calls.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

No...if you followed the thread you would have seen numerous references to the one bad call we benefited from. It resulted in a FG, not in a TD.
Share 49ersWebzone