LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

KNBR should get someone else to interview harbs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just listen to podcasts online of interviews or shows you like from KNBR or 95.7 The Game. That way you can weed out all the s**t. I have the 95.7 phone app, it's great.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by sacniner:
no its not, its mainly concentrated in the city where the transient fake fan base exists........the surrounding bay is 9er empire, always has been always will be

c'mon

You're REALLY underestimating the Giants fan base throughout Nor Cal. Its as big as the Niner fanbase. Also, similar to the Niners, Giants have a presence throughout the nation.

Absolutely correct. The Giants fan base in Norcal is freaking enormous

eh, its mostly bandwagon..its not a rabid loyal following. when they fall off, the following goes with them.

my sense has always been the 9ers have the strongest fan base in the bay area..its a football area, the city is different, its transient but the surrounding bay is 9ers going back decades....it ain't the giants

Giants baseball fans right now >>> 49ers football fans, easily

Most of the city wasn't even watching the Super Bowl in January.

The truth is that all the losing years with Erickson, Nolan, & Singletary took the shine off the 49ers. Meanwhile, the Giants won two World Series championships and have a friendlier and better overall stadium, located in the actual city (where Gen-Y lives and works). There's also the notion that baseball games are cheaper and therefore easier to attend more frequently, which probably makes them more appealing to females.

Add into this that the 49ers didn't really have a face of the franchise until very recently. Look at the marketing efforts during the Singletary era... it was all about the head coach. Now, the 49ers are essentially Kaep & Harbaugh, which sells more mech and generates more interest than Sing & a bunch of defensive players only the true fans know a lot about (you could argue Patrick Willis & Vernon Davis are stars, but they don't generate interest and jersey sales like Kaep).

So now that the 49ers have a star quarterback, a new stadium on the way, and they're winning games to boot, I think you'll see the pendulum swing back a bit towards the 49ers. But the SF Giants have been kings of this city for a good while. All of their little sayings and characters go a long way to generating interest... Timmy the Stoner, Zito the Stoner Panda, torture, the beard, Brian Wilson, Posey, etc. Meanwhile, the 49ers JUST came into the bicep-kissing Kaep era... that's been the most marketable thing to happen to the 49ers since Singletary said, "I want winners!" (ignoring "Who's Got It Better?" which just came around last year).

Trust me... I'm not even a Giants fan really. I just call it how I see it. My Facebook friends who are passionate Giants fans greatly surpasses that of 49er fans right now.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

The truth is that all the losing years with Erickson, Nolan, & Singletary took the shine off the 49ers. Meanwhile, the Giants won two World Series championships and have a friendlier and better overall stadium, located in the actual city (where Gen-Y lives and works). There's also the notion that baseball games are cheaper and therefore easier to attend more frequently, which probably makes them more appealing to females.

Add into this that the 49ers didn't really have a face of the franchise until very recently. Look at the marketing efforts during the Singletary era... it was all about the head coach. Now, the 49ers are essentially Kaep & Harbaugh, which sells more mech and generates more interest than Sing & a bunch of defensive players only the true fans know a lot about (you could argue Patrick Willis & Vernon Davis are stars, but they don't generate interest and jersey sales like Kaep).

So now that the 49ers have a star quarterback, a new stadium on the way, and they're winning games to boot, I think you'll see the pendulum swing back a bit towards the 49ers. But the SF Giants have been kings of this city for a good while. All of their little sayings and characters go a long way to generating interest... Timmy the Stoner, Zito the Stoner Panda, torture, the beard, Brian Wilson, Posey, etc. Meanwhile, the 49ers JUST came into the bicep-kissing Kaep era... that's been the most marketable thing to happen to the 49ers since Singletary said, "I want winners!" (ignoring "Who's Got It Better?" which just came around last year).

Trust me... I'm not even a Giants fan really. I just call it how I see it. My Facebook friends who are passionate Giants fans greatly surpasses that of 49er fans right now.

i go back home often, again in the city its different, its a transient city and that fan base is def more giants but you go around the rest of the bay its OWNED by the 9ers...this whole giants thing is a blip due to recent success that'll fade away

i go back home often, again in the city its different, its a transient city and that fan base is def more giants but you go around the rest of the bay its OWNED by the 9ers...this whole giants thing is a blip due to recent success that'll fade away

Eh... I used to live in Belmont, have friends in the city and on the Peninsula. I think a lot of it has to do with what season it is, but the Super Bowl ratings don't lie. I expect the popularity of the Niners to surge even more when the new stadium happens, but the Giants still own the Bay Area. It's just easier to go see games, and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Part of it is that the 49ers winning ways came on super-suddenly... we're only two years into this new golden-era. So as long as they keep winning and the stadium provides that new sheen for em, I think it will swing back the other way soon.

This post must be from a person born after 1990. The losing years during Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary DID NOT take the shine off the 49ers, especially for the hardcore Faithful fanbase. This true fanbase, which is large and consists of both older and younger fans, has stuck with the team through thick and thin...just like any true fan would. I started pulling for the Niners when I was old enough back in the later '70s coming off their 2-14 years - I stuck with them then and going forward. Then, Walsh entered the picture. The NFL is king, no doubt about it.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
95.7 The Game >>>>>>>> KNBR

yes
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This post must be from a person born after 1990. The losing years during Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary DID NOT take the shine off the 49ers, especially for the hardcore Faithful fanbase. This true fanbase, which is large and consists of both older and younger fans, has stuck with the team through thick and thin...just like any true fan would. I started pulling for the Niners when I was old enough back in the later '70s coming off their 2-14 years - I stuck with them then and going forward. Then, Walsh entered the picture. The NFL is king, no doubt about it.

yeah i get the sense the very young people in the bay area and those that have now moved into the actual city of SF have all gone nuts over the giants but there is no doubt the bay area is expansive and there are generations of 9ers fans..its huge family traditions dating way way back

this doesn't exist w/ the giants, never has and i doubt it ever will, its a fleeting fan base
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Just listen to podcasts online of interviews or shows you like from KNBR or 95.7 The Game. That way you can weed out all the s**t. I have the 95.7 phone app, it's great.

i live on podcasts so ill have to check that out. currently i have only knbr
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Incorrect. Born in 1982.

Read the article I posted. Why was no one in the city watching THE SUPER BOWL?

If you want to pretend the fanbase is as strong as it was during the Walsh-Montana-Young era, be my guest. But you're lying to yourself.

There will always be casual fans... a lot of em. The 49ers simply don't have a full bandwagon right now like they used to in the 80's and 90's. That's just a fact.
Incorrect. Born in 1982.

If you want to pretend the fanbase is as strong as it was during the Walsh-Montana-Young era, be my guest. But you're lying to yourself.

There will always be casual fans... a lot of em. The 49ers simply don't have a full bandwagon right now like they used to in the 80's and 90's. That's just a fact.

The most-watched events in U.S. TV history were last year's Super Bowl, seen by 111.3 million, and the 2010 game, with 111 million viewers.

Football viewership in general declined this year. But with a thrilling finish, this year's game did become the fourth Super Bowl to record more than 100 million viewers. Overnight ratings initially indicated that Sunday's contest may have been the most-watched program in history.

Baltimore had the highest rating of any individual city, Nielsen said. San Francisco was not among the top 10 cities in ratings.

SAN FRANCISCO is a very small area, they measured their ratings by the city of san francisco...the 9ers fan base is minimal there, its a transient city.

their fan base is in the surrounding bay area

hogwash

Originally posted by sacniner:
The morning guys are too soft to interview any head coach. I remember the interviews with Nolan which were horrendous. They never asked him anything tough and kissed his ass for the most part. Razor did the best interviews on KNBR. That fool asked whatever he damn well pleased.

I am sure Barbieri interviewed Harbaugh at least a few times before he was canned. I never heard one, but it seems like that could potentially be combustible.
ann killion is full of sh!t w/ that garbage, she changed the wording to "bay area"....neilsen measured the city of san francisco not the bay area as a whole
Incorrect. Born in 1982.

The most-watched events in U.S. TV history were last year's Super Bowl, seen by 111.3 million, and the 2010 game, with 111 million viewers.

Football viewership in general declined this year. But with a thrilling finish, this year's game did become the fourth Super Bowl to record more than 100 million viewers. Overnight ratings initially indicated that Sunday's contest may have been the most-watched program in history.

Baltimore had the highest rating of any individual city, Nielsen said. San Francisco was not among the top 10 cities in ratings.

SAN FRANCISCO is a very small area, they measured their ratings by the city of san francisco...the 9ers fan base is minimal there, its a transient city.

their fan base is in the surrounding bay area

hogwash

San Francisco is the 14th biggest city in the US, but was #28th in ratings for the Super Bowl... a game featuring the 49ers.

Not sure how that doesn't strengthen my argument.
49ers Friday on 98.7.

KNBR...if you want Warriors and SF Giants
San Francisco is the 14th biggest city in the US, but was #28th in ratings for the Super Bowl... a game featuring the 49ers.

Not sure how that doesn't strengthen my argument.

again, this is like measuring the ratings of the giants superbowl w/ just the borough of manhattan...meanwhile all the real new york giant fans live in and around in the other boroguhs and out lying areas

if you're from the area you're aware of that..the fan base isn't in the city

i can agree that number is low, but that just lends more credence to how much the city has changed now, its more transient than ever b4
Share 49ersWebzone