LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

The Niners won despite Roman's best efforts once again. Playcalling in the redzone was a joke. Example the handoff to Boldin was embarrassing. Seriously that's the best play you can come up with off a timeout? Also by constantly pulling both Boldin and Crabtree off the field at the 30 yard line accomplishes what exactly? A 2 yard dive? Roman is a joke and hopefully Dawson stays healthy since we're going to ride him as far as he'll take us

I'm certainly not a fan of taking Crabs and/or Anquan off the field.
Here's the Whitner play:

Here we run cover 3 with blanket zone underneath. We had cover 3 zone a lot in this game, and up to this point, it was working very well.
I've highlighted Tampa's route combo at the top. They, what should be a hi/lo read, but Glennon will recognize the coverage lapse early.

Whitner keys in on the TE Wright. Leaving his curl/hook zone vacated. The TE screens Willis from being able to attack the route, while the corner has to respect the corner route from the inside receiver. Whitner needs to remember that he has Reid over the top on the inside receiver as well as Brown to the outside on the corner route.

Whitner abandoning his zone leaves a lot of room for Willis and Brown to cover before the ball gets there. Tampa gets a 9 yard gain.

Working on some more in this series.
Originally posted by thl408:

what is VD doing here.

my first guess is he is setting up to later release on a pass play.
So NOW I know what Singletary was talking about. He really DID have to look at the film.
The play after the last one I broke down, tampa got a 6 yard gain. We went man coverage and Rogers took a poor inside technique and the receiver got a comeback.

This is the next play after that.

Here we run a cover 3 zone, this time we take Brooks out and bring in Spillman as another DB. This time they're trying to take away the deep curls and comeback route to the bottom of the screen.

You see as the play develops we have everyone covered

farther in you see we still have everyone covered.

From the endzone you see we came with only a 3 man rush to drop 8 in coverage. Justin Smith for some reason though, decides to abondon contain to take an inside rush.

Because JS abandons contain, when AS flashes, Glennon is able to escape the pocket and buy more time.

You see Glennon has moved out of the pocket but still, no one is open.

The play falters when Whitner slips in the backend. The buc's get a 26 yard gain. This was the breakout play of the series.
You don't expect a rookie QB with less than 10 starts to have the presence of mind to escape the pocket to his left and find a receiver downfield like that. that's a good play by Glennon and poor contain by an all-pro(another anomaly on this series.) So far we've seen 3 different all-pro's make poor decisions)
Originally posted by BrianGO:
So NOW I know what Singletary was talking about. He really DID have to look at the film.

HAHAHA! That's exactly what I thought when I first saw myself type out, "I have to look at the film". I thought, "wow, that sounded just like Singletary...."
This thread is ADDICTING!!! So legit
Here's how the td happened:

Here we go with another cover 3 coverage. This time we rotate Reid down while sending Whitner to the middle. Tampa had a good route combo called with the skinny post coming off the deep in route.

You see how, initially, we're in good coverage, the guys are dropping well into their zones.

The inside Receiver forces the attention of Whitner, giving Jackson inside leverage on Brown.

You see how the inside receiver's deep in has opened a small hole for the skinny post. However, the hole isn't that big.

You see how Brown even held on the play, but Jackson had too good of leverage on the play. Glennon threw a great ball, he dropped the pass right over Willis' leaping, outstretched arm in a place where only Jackson could get it. That's a heck of a throw.

The play was set up after Tampa had an incomplete pass, then a 4 yard gain, but a penalty on Whitner for hitting a receiver in the head(the penalty was kind of ridiculous IMO), if not for the penalty it would have been 3rd and 6 from the 23 not 1st and 10 from the 11.

As you can see from the sequence. There were a lot of different things happening there. We had 3 really good players make bonehead moves, a goofy penalty, and one heck of a play from a rookie. I don't look on this with too much concern, these things are correctable and not systemic problems.
I'll have more stuff in the morning, I'll work on showing the other TD we gave up.... that was a friggen weird play. Someone totally busted their coverage. It's really hard to tell, because the play looks so weird from the replay, but, I think it ended up being Whitner who had a mental lapse on if they were in a cover 1 lurk or cover 2 zone....I'll break it down tomorrow.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by thl408:

what is VD doing here.

my first guess is he is setting up to later release on a pass play.
Yeah IIRC they ran play-action off it for the Vernon TD. Miller was to Kaep's left but the action up front was almost identical.

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Ok, I'm sorry for the long post but there's no other way to show this than with the multitude of pictures. Roman is a good OC, I'll show you how he saw what Tampa was doing and set up VD's huge play.

Early in the game the Buc's showed they wanted to double team Boldin - meaning, they have told their guys to pay special attention to where he goes.

After we ran some inside power plays, Tampa started slanting their line in(I"ll show this later). So, Roman ran a few outside plays sprinkled in. In counter, Tampa started to run a cover 2 zone to keep their outside DB's closer to the LOS, also, Kaep's running forced tampa to stop running man coverage as much. Here you see how Tampa is running a 2-zone D.

Here, Roman went into an unbalanced TE formation. He had ran a couple outisde runs out of the 2 TE formation. You see the safeties move to a 2 deep loock with the corners playing zone. 2-zone D

Crabtree is at the top of the screen on this play with Boldin at the bottom, again a 2 TE look with Tampa going to a 2 deep safety D.

After seeing that, Roman brings Miller in, motions him out to a 2 TE look and runs a corner/DIG combo with Boldin and Crabtree at the top with Davis running and out/in Post.

Davis gets the safety to turn his hips out before breaking in. At the top you see Goldson jumps on Boldin's corner route because of the 2 zone. This leaves a void for Davis to run to

Vernon is open but the pressure from Tampa's D(Staley got beat) forces Kaep to have to throw the ball while running forward to it's barely incomplete to Davis.

On the next drive, we again go with a 2 TE set. This time we line Miller up outside Staley to help chip. We get the 2 deep safety look again, this time Baron creeps down just a little more in case of the run.

We run PA to hold the safety up just a little bit. Boldin's gonna run a deep curl route to bring Goldson down.

Goldson bites on the Deep curl vacating his 2 deep zone. Davis has a great angle on the backside safety who has no chance of running with him.

You see here how Roman used all the attention Tampa was giving Boldin to set up this long TD to Davis.

That is excellent OC stuff right there!

Will any of Roman's stuff work in Seattle when we are limited to silent counts and shotgun formations?
Great thread keep up the awesome work guys!
Excellent post. I enjoy your breakdown of the games and pointing out the stud players. Our D looks very good for the future (TJE, Bow,et al) but we have got to get some WR's w/size and speed. Our upcoming draft has got to be focused on getting a couple cats who can stretch the field and make the db's in Seattle worry
all great work, hope your dad's prognosis improves.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

HAHAHA! That's exactly what I thought when I first saw myself type out, "I have to look at the film". I thought, "wow, that sounded just like Singletary...."

But while Singletary was watching the film and trying to figure out why it wasnt like Madden, Jimmy Raye was back in the corner fast asleep.
Share 49ersWebzone