LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by verb1der:
To be fair..

The Colts game, no VD, no Crab.

The Panthers and Saints game....in reality both offensive coordinators struggled in those two games, it really could have swung either way.

#romanxcuses

2 of those games we did have gore though and 2 of those games he was running for major yardage. colts game is the one that hurts. Panthers, that's just silly to not run him when you can just call quick plays get into field goal range and win

but the colts game? we run with power for 1 drive, go 90 yards and get the td..and then never do it again...when the colts at that point were giving up 5yards per carry and a few games later we saw the chargers run the colts into submission, as if we couldn't have and shouldn't have done that.

instead we lose by a WIDE margin because of academic td's at the end.

FRUSTRATING

saints game they just simply let them get away with several pass interference calls and a couple in the end zone just blatant ones
and then called brooks for touching brees too hard. though roman didn't help refusing to go into passing formations against 9 man fronts on non predictable downs the colts is still the one. that's the difference between us being 1 game back of the seahwaks

realistically with a decent plan we'd be 13-1

IIRC, after that 90 yard drive, Colts put 9 guys in the box to take away Gore, and then Marlon Moore, Aj Jenkins, and Kyle Williams couldnt get open for their lives!
IIRC, after that 90 yard drive, Colts put 9 guys in the box to take away Gore, and then Marlon Moore, Aj Jenkins, and Kyle Williams couldnt get open for their lives!

colt's couldn't stop the run with 11 men in the box at that point in the season

that and the niners just can't seem to handle ahmad bradshaw...

Boldin played 50 snaps, Kyle Williams played 44, Moore played 20, Patton had 5.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

in his defense kyle and a.j. play exactly alike
#verb1derexcuses

K well maybe not AJ.

Still that's the worst set of WRs...makes sense why we lost to a good team like the Colts!
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

in his defense kyle and a.j. play exactly alike
#verb1derexcuses

hey they're valid excuses!
  • thl408
Here is the TD catch by Crabs. In Marvin49's post game thread, there was some discussion whether Kap should have hit Crabs on Crab's initial cut, instead of having to ad-lib.

Below: Pre-snap. TB will be in man coverage. The route Crab runs is initially a quick out.

Below: Boldin (left side of formation) is Kap's first read.

Below: Same moment in time as the picture above, shows what Crabs is doing while Kap is looking at Boldin. Boldin accidently(?) ran a pick here to free LMJ who is running a flare out. Crabs has begun his cut and if Kap were to throw to Crabs, now is the time, but he is looking to Boldin at this time. Circled is the congestion in the middle of the field. Not much of a throwing lane to Boldin with #59 and #56 watching Kap.

The play in full: I had to cut off a lot of the play to meet the GIF size requirements (damn scrambling plays). To be hyper critical, I do not know why Boldin is the initial read here. If Boldin is the guy Kap wants to look at, then Kap should see whether a good pick is placed on the defender covering LMJ. There are too many defenders in the middle of the field to complete a pass to Boldin, to even consider Boldin. Still, the ability of Kap to extend the play and fire a precise bullet while running is amazing.

Originally posted by NCommand:
The hurry up seems like a weakness of ours and we continue to struggle with TE's (I know Barrows pointed that out as well).

Also the pistol/shotgun formation. -It's great at home, but terrible on the road (specially in that Seattle game in week 2).
Originally posted by thl408:

The play in full: I had to cut off a lot of the play to meet the GIF size requirements (damn scrambling plays). To be hyper critical, I do not know why Boldin is the initial read here. If Boldin is the guy Kap wants to look at, then Kap should see whether a good pick is placed on the defender covering LMJ. There are too many defenders in the middle of the field to complete a pass to Boldin, to even consider Boldin. Still, the ability of Kap to extend the play and fire a precise bullet while running is amazing.

Thanks again thl408 (you are the winner of gif's!).

To be totally objective, this "may" have been an AR2 to James (why else have him in?) and Boldin's job was to literally, crash down on the slant to open up James underneath. But the fake sort of debunks that. Why fake it to James and draw the defense towards him and then throw to him in the flat (while starring at Boldin in the same space who clearly is not a viable receiving option here?).

My initial take was that the fake and Boldin crash-down and CK starring down Boldin to the left was designed to hold the defense like a "look off" (particularly the LBers underneath) to help isolate Crabtree more on the right (and they all were frozen in time). Other than Crabtree to the right, there were no other options while he rolls right. I "think" he might have blown the timing of the play off a little and didn't hit Crabtree when he should have (just before the break out like you mentioned); he hesitated and then it becomes an ad lib play (fortunately, for us, a TD again).

Then again, it could have been a broken play or miscommunication from the get-go b/c even the design is counter-productive. In the end I had to label it an ad lib play b/c it was a fliuster cuck from the start!

TBH, the more I watch it, maybe it was an AR2 to James with Boldin's job to physically pick off James' LB.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The hurry up seems like a weakness of ours and we continue to struggle with TE's (I know Barrows pointed that out as well).

Also the pistol/shotgun formation. -It's great at home, but terrible on the road (specially in that Seattle game in week 2).

Wow, you are diving in deep on some trends here. I was not aware of this one at all...nice research. Any theories why?

5 notes: #15 was open momentarily but kap was looking boldin, crabs breaks , goes towards sidelines, is covered, uncovered, breaks back is covered again, then breaks out wide and has fought his way open. NOW THAT IS A PROFESSIONAL WR play from a guy originally open and missed, then breaks/covered, breaks back/covered and breaks back/ open. Man that shows a guy with determination, heart, smarts, and not to be denied. Even tho kap missed him initially, Crabs DID NOT give up.

Memory fails me as to which game, but Boldin broke in EZ/covered, broke back,/covered broke out, covered, broke back in on endline of EZ/ open and TD. Guys we got two, not one ballhawk , who if things go to schidt, can instantaneously recompose themselves, and make 3 , 4 great spin on a dime moves and turn DBs around in a circle to get open. That is an incredibly great sign. Only the GREATs do that, not the average good WRs. Wow what a pair!

Last thing and that is an admission. Looking back on tapes myself is useless, unless I see it presented as on coaches tapes. This is an entirely new game to me, and honestly I can say that watching football for over 60 yrs, I guess I really never actually SAW and UNDERSTOOD a game. Admittedly, roman is looking better.

The play by aldon was indeed superhuman, reading, reacting, physically beating and then tackling. Holy crap that kid...ok man now...is phenomenal. He isn't a big dumb lineman. He is obviously a real student, but Vic has done a great job with him, too.

Lastly, just an observation...on one passing play above, kap looks like a dam stork...legs spread apart, maybe 6 or 6.5 feet. We all know he is a physical anomaly, a spectacular one, but his feet are about 7 feet apart. Hell, no wonder he slips thru tackles...there is no there there. Anybody tackling kap in the legs doesn't get much to grab at. Holy smokes.

again, many thanks jonnydel. You are making this an entirely new game for all of us...and I am starting to come around on roman, but like Phoenix, I still got to be convinced.
  • thl408
4th Quarter 3rd & 6
49er: High-Low concept
TB: Man coverage

The high-low concept is designed to bust zone coverage (described in the SEA film analysis thread). Here, we see it used against the wrong coverage.

Below: Davis and Boldin will work to give Kap a high-low read.

Below: Kap's first read is the high-low routes being run by Davis/Boldin. Can't tell which WR he is looking at, the beauty of high-low.

Below: Same moment in time as the pic above. Both WRs are covered well due to TB's defenders in man coverage playing inside leverage to defend any routes that break inside towards the middle of the field, exactly where Boldin/VD want to run. Again, the high-low concept is used to bust zone coverage, not so much man coverage.

Focusing on the coverage:

Even when the coverage wins against the playcall, Kap's legs is the difference maker. Kap has time to make one read, then the pressure is coming. Man coverage? Run!
Where do you get to see the coaches film of games? I'm just really curious.
^ In above, what's the point of having ham slant into the other routes? We are creating congestion it seems like.

Love that last second bloq by boldin.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
5 notes: #15 was open momentarily but kap was looking boldin, crabs breaks , goes towards sidelines, is covered, uncovered, breaks back is covered again, then breaks out wide and has fought his way open. NOW THAT IS A PROFESSIONAL WR play from a guy originally open and missed, then breaks/covered, breaks back/covered and breaks back/ open. Man that shows a guy with determination, heart, smarts, and not to be denied. Even tho kap missed him initially, Crabs DID NOT give up.

Memory fails me as to which game, but Boldin broke in EZ/covered, broke back,/covered broke out, covered, broke back in on endline of EZ/ open and TD. Guys we got two, not one ballhawk , who if things go to schidt, can instantaneously recompose themselves, and make 3 , 4 great spin on a dime moves and turn DBs around in a circle to get open. That is an incredibly great sign. Only the GREATs do that, not the average good WRs. Wow what a pair!

Absolutely! In fact, 3 of the past 4 TD's have all been ad lib plays...the two you noted here and the other by VD who cut across the grain inside the RZ and jumped over the defender. Only the last VD bomb was by design. This was a CLEAR missing element earlier in the year but now that Crabtree is back, at any point, Crabtree and/or Boldin and/or VD, etc, will be in 1on1 matchups and if CK can continue to buy time with his legs, they WILL shake their man and win eventually. This happened a lot this game (all the big plays along the sidelines, Boldin on the 3rd and 15, etc. IIRC)
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone