LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 136 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Woo hoo, Greg Roman doesn't suck after all!

I don't know about all that. I think the 49ers could have scored a couple more touchdowns easily with some better playcalls, especially with Tampa Bay selling out so strongly to stuff Boldin. Its a step in the right direction but nothing that necessarily fills me with confidence, kicking 4 field goals against a lesser talented team.

This next game will tell a lot about the state of the 49ers offense. On paper they should be able to steamroll Atlanta's defense which has holes all over the place.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM ]
damn this is good stuff!!!! Thanks to all who are contributing! great work! my goodness!
This thread wins!
[ Edited by FourNine49 on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM ]
DeCoud will be playing against the 49ers.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/12/17/5218240/thomas-decoud-concussion-improves-should-play-and-frustrate-fans

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Woo hoo, Greg Roman doesn't suck after all!

I don't know about all that. I think the 49ers could have scored a couple more touchdowns easily with some better playcalls, especially with Tampa Bay selling out so strongly to stuff Boldin. Its a step in the right direction but nothing that necessarily fills me with confidence, kicking 4 field goals against a lesser talented team.

This next game will tell a lot about the state of the 49ers offense. On paper they should be able to steamroll Atlanta's defense which has holes all over the place.

I think we were too quick to judge Roman. Now that he has Crabtree back, he's starting to play the chess game.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen everything yet, and I don't think he'll unload on Atlanta... Roman probably will keep a lot of plays in his pocket to save for the playoffs.
Awesome work!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Gerald McCoy abused Adam Snyder so much, I'm surprised Snyder hasn't accused McCoy of bullying yet. It was disgusting to watch all game long.

I was not happy when Snyder was resigned! Thought Looney or Kilgore might be better than Snyder at this point in his career.

Agree I thought that Snyder was out of my nightmare's for good finally. But he's back, and I think it's time to give the other two a shot since we might not have a center next season.

Just be glad we didn't bring back:

• thl408
Mesh concept was used all over the place versus TB to beat man coverage. Simply put, the mesh concept is criss crossing routes where the route runners are close to each other with regards to depth of the route. This is different than the high-low concept which is used to beat zone coverage where the routes have a big difference in the depth of the routes.

Play #1 (thumbnail post #56 of this thread)

49ers: 12 personnel - Mesh concept out of a bunch formation
TB: Zone coverage

In theory, this concept will not work against zone coverage and we will see it not gain much here. This is the first pass play of the game. The thumbnail will detail the routes being ran.

Below: The coverage by TB. Cover2, zone under.

Below: Celek is the player setting the mesh (pick). VD will be the beneficiary. But this is zone coverage and no TB defender will be getting picked off.

The play in full: Notice as VD catches the ball, he is smacked by the zone LB as the LB is able to attack downhill to apply a sure tackle for a somewhat minimal gain. Not a horrible play result, but not a big play by any means.

Take a look at the thumbnail post #56 to get a sense for how often HaRo went to this concept. It doesn't have to always be criss crossing over the middle of the field. Plays 12, 14, 27 also use the mesh concept, but on one side of the formation.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
I think we were too quick to judge Roman. Now that he has Crabtree back, he's starting to play the chess game.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen everything yet, and I don't think he'll unload on Atlanta... Roman probably will keep a lot of plays in his pocket to save for the playoffs.

Just like on the 5 yard line in the Superbowl? I'm sorry, I don't buy the "they're saving all the good stuff for the playoffs" rhetoric this time around. Especially with how flat they came out in consecutive games against Atlanta and Baltimore.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Mesh concept was used all over the place versus TB to beat man coverage. Simply put, the mesh concept is criss crossing routes where the route runners are close to each other with regards to depth of the route. This is different than the high-low concept which is used to beat zone coverage where the routes have a big difference in the depth of the routes.

Play #1 (thumbnail post #56 of this thread)

49ers: 12 personnel - Mesh concept out of a bunch formation
TB: Zone coverage

In theory, this concept will not work against zone coverage and we will see it not gain much here. This is the first pass play of the game. The thumbnail will detail the routes being ran.

Below: The coverage by TB. Cover2, zone under.

Below: Celek is the player setting the mesh (pick). VD will be the beneficiary. But this is zone coverage and no TB defender will be getting picked off.

The play in full: Notice as VD catches the ball, he is smacked by the zone LB as the LB is able to attack downhill to apply a sure tackle for a somewhat minimal gain. Not a horrible play result, but not a big play by any means.

Take a look at the thumbnail post #56 to get a sense for how often HaRo went to this concept. It doesn't have to always be criss crossing over the middle of the field. Plays 12, 14, 27 also use the mesh concept, but on one side of the formation.

Cekek looks like he would have been a better target on that play, I know its kind of contrary but the defense more or less ignored him. Once he passes up the initial defender at about the 42 yard line, the defender goes towards VD and sniffs it out, a quick throw to him would have been much more productive using VD as the decoy.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Just like on the 5 yard line in the Superbowl? I'm sorry, I don't buy the "they're saving all the good stuff for the playoffs" rhetoric this time around. Especially with how flat they came out in consecutive games against Atlanta and Baltimore.

Some of you guys will never let that go. Roman did plenty of good things throughout the playoffs to get us in that situation. Too bad jonnydel wasn't around last year.
Some of you guys will never let that go. Roman did plenty of good things throughout the playoffs to get us in that situation. Too bad jonnydel wasn't around last year.

im over it but i don't blame anyone from not letting it go. just a golden opportunity
and also demonstrates the frustration. we ran to get to the point and then abandoned it when we should have used it to finish the job. just head scratching.

roman is doing a good job over these past 4 weeks of calling more plays that make sense and hit.

some of it is execution on a lot of parts and some of it is on execution on kap's part

i think that we'll see him and crab connect on a lot of bombs going forward

looking at the plays and the last gif that was posted by thl408, if they look at the tape crab is explosive and getting down the field he needs to be rewarded as the #1 wr

Yeah, nope, never. That was the biggest of his many errors thus far in his tenure with the 49ers. The lack of adjustments in key games this season, especially against Indy, Carolina and New Orleans only adds to it.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
im over it but i don't blame anyone from not letting it go. just a golden opportunity
and also demonstrates the frustration. we ran to get to the point and then abandoned it when we should have used it to finish the job. just head scratching.

roman is doing a good job over these past 4 weeks of calling more plays that make sense and hit.

some of it is execution on a lot of parts and some of it is on execution on kap's part

i think that we'll see him and crab connect on a lot of bombs going forward

looking at the plays and the last gif that was posted by thl408, if they look at the tape crab is explosive and getting down the field he needs to be rewarded as the #1 wr

I'm hoping for a big game from Crabtree against Atlanta. He's really hyped up out there, you can see that the guy wants to make some big plays and be a star, he should get his chance on Monday.
  • thl408
This is play #12 of the thumbnail (post #56 for reference). 2Q 2:01

49ers: Mesh concept out of 12 personnel
TB: Man coverage

Here the 49ers run the mesh concept on each side of the field.

Below: With a blitz dialed up, the Bucs call man coverage all around the field. The blue lines indicate who is covering who. In theory, this playcall will work well for the 49ers provided the pass protection holds up.

Below: The mesh is created and someone should be open. If the coverage was tight, a pick would be created. Because it is loose coverage, separation is still created as the two Buc defenders don't want to hit each other. Whichever defender is playing further from his man should be the target of the pass. In this case, the CB #27 is farther since he allows the safety to cut underneath. The correct target is VD.

The play in full: Identical routes on each side of the field. Mesh, the man coverage buster.
Share 49ersWebzone