LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spraked:
jonnydel: Have you looked at a comparison to last years playoff games?

It would seem to me that with crabs back we would now be seeing a lot more of what they did in the playoffs last year. I would think it would be a better comparison on what to expect than looking at earlier this year.

Also, I know everyone is saying it however, thanks again for what has to be the best reading on the zone in a long time. I was just about to give up on the zone as endless complaining of people that did not know what they were even talking about.

jonnydel zone saver
I really wanted to ask you to show photos of the 49ers Superbowl drive where they were 5 yards from winning it all! But I'm not sure it would be a good idea and may bring back a lot of bad feelings for us Niner fans. I live here in Maryland and have to face Ravens fans all the time.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I hated this play call when I watched it live, but after watching this Snyder killed it. Good call by Roman
I hope I have made members here realize that Roman does use passing concepts and route combinations in his passing game, which is my mission when I post my breakdowns. I realize I don't go into the level of detail jonnydel does, especially when it comes to front7/Oline play, but I hope the WZ community is more aware that the 49er passing attack is very legit when it comes to the concepts they use and the purpose with which the routes are designed. Threads like this are a must every week now that common fans can access the All22. I know there are others with NFL Rewind and am hoping you guys chime in with your takes and breakdowns of plays.

I, personally, really enjoy your breakdowns. You point out some things I don't and help me to be able to look at our defense more, I've really appreciated your input. I'm hoping to get a tablet PC soon which, with the tablet app, I'll be able to telestrate better.
U guys are awesome!!
This is BY FAR the best analysis on the zone. We all have our theories and some may be more knowledgable than others, but to have evidence to backup statements is great. Jonny, you definitely know what you're talking about and this has been a GREAT addition to Niner talk.

So, now we know that Kap isn't given only one read every play. Its a mixture and he actually has progressions on most of his pass plays. That is good news. This ain't college.
I swear Kaep is too into the game sometimes... he needs to sell that type of play fake and stare/run toward the defenders (sure the play might've still worked..but there is nothing wrong with still selling it)

he's looking back like he wants to see what happens..lol.

or maybe there was a bobble with the exchange and he just wanted to make sure the ball didn't hit the ground...but I'm going with the first impression.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I hope I have made members here realize that Roman does use passing concepts and route combinations in his passing game, which is my mission when I post my breakdowns. I realize I don't go into the level of detail jonnydel does, especially when it comes to front7/Oline play, but I hope the WZ community is more aware that the 49er passing attack is very legit when it comes to the concepts they use and the purpose with which the routes are designed. Threads like this are a must every week now that common fans can access the All22. I know there are others with NFL Rewind and am hoping you guys chime in with your takes and breakdowns of plays.

Appreciate your breakdown of film as well as jonnydel and others who help educate us.
Originally posted by verb1der:
NT Poster of The Year : jonnydel

you win bro!

This. Keep it coming.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
GREAT! NOW I HATE SNYDER AND KAP!
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Jonnydel, will you be doing analysis on the Falcons, like what you did on Tampa last week?
I can't wait to read your comments on ATL's strengths/weaknesses/tendencies, etc.

And many thanks to you, thl408, and some others for making this the most informative and enjoyable thread in the Zone.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Good work in here guys. Looks like the Fire Roman bandwagon has emptied.

Obviously he's great at play design but I still question the play calling in certain situations like the SB last year, Colts and Panthers games.
  • thl408
Originally posted by GORO:
Appreciate your breakdown of film as well as jonnydel and others who help educate us.

Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.
Well, no need to look to listen for Greg Cossell being on the radio.
Thanks GORO, and everyone. It's not so much about educate, it's about taking what we see on Sundays and putting it in super slow-mo so we can all view it objectively. Like NC mentioned, watch it with our brain in this thread after we finish watching it with our heart on Sunday. I post the breakdowns to invite everyone with their input. I hope that the only 'arguments' we have here are "that was cover 2", "no it wasn't, that was cover 4".

Jonnydel called it (SEA film thread) when scouting TB mentioning they will be throwing to Wright, and that the TB safties love to move around to confuse QBs, and that McCoy lines up everywhere. Looking forward to ATL's scouting report when it comes. But REALLY looking forward to the wild card round and that scouting report.

I'm working on the ATL scouting right now, been fairly busy the last day or so. I've made it through last years NFCG, and a couple of ATL's recent games. I'm now going to their games against Carolina to see if they change vs a mobile QB. I'll have a lot of detailed stuff for that hopefully tomorrow as I'll have a pretty free slate.

This is why I prefer gif's to screen shots (although helpful in their own right). When I first watched the play live I thought the play had a chance but felt it probably only would have picked up a few yards b/c of the congestion inside. You can see here the S #37 probably would have closed that gap and filled that hole rather easily with additional help coming from the back side. The play broke down b/c of Snyder naturally but that's the "execution" we're always hearing about. One break down and the entire play blows up.

But, IMHO, I'm OK with the "idea" of the play but the personnel choices and the design is flawed. If HaRoMan wanted this play to work, you don't run any of the top 3 AR's anywhere near the play itself b/c it draws the defenders right into the heart of the play. For one, he's got Boldin in the Q formation with James. Both would be red flags b/c we never use James and if Boldin is in the backfield, something is up (from the D's perspective). Next, he's also got VD on the LOS (there's your other AR who you need to hone in on in the RZ). Those two personnel choices alone are drawing the entire defense to the box. He only has Crabtree split out wide who is only going to decoy out 1 DB (Roman may have been hoping he'd also occupy the S, to be fair).

Probably the best way to win this play on both personnel and design is the following: Huner and James from the Q formation. McDonald at the LOS instead of VD and split out WIDE right any comination 2 of the 3: Crabtree, Boldin and/or VD. The 2 WR's out wide will force the defense to occupy with 3 DB's and McDonald at the LOS will not garner the attention VD would inside (but he's just as effective blocking) and then you run a shiftier RB through that hole and beat the pursuit to the EZ.

So good idea Roman but poor personnel choices and your design is slightly off IMO. And naturally, it helps if everyone does their part properly (execution). And props for not running this play inside your own 10.
Share 49ersWebzone