LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Analysis from the Tampa Bay coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So, the coaches film was finally available this morning and I have just finished going through the game footage.

First, we didn't beat the 0-7 Buc's. We beat the Buc's that have won 4 of their last 5(before us). Tampa played a pretty good game, we just played and coached better.

I'll give a shout out to the defensive players that really stood out on film:
Aldon Smith - the dude was an absolute beast in the game. He was a monster rushing the passer and played excellent against the run. The guy is playing with great passion, technique and might be playing the best OLB in the league.

Willis and Bow - Those guys are as good as advertised. I know it seems pretty obvious to point out, but those guys both made some outstanding plays in the game.

Tony-Jerrod Eddie - This guy is going to be an anchor of our line in the future. He played with outstanding technique and recognition while showing good leverage and power.

On Offense: Anthony Davis played a pretty good game, probably the best of all our O-lineman. I think Staley's knee still isn't quite 100%, Snyder struggled in this game. I give him the lowest grade of all our o-lineman(considering he's a backup, that sounds about right).

Boldin and Kaep really made some outstanding plays as you could see from the broadcast. The best part of Kaep's game was executing what he saw on film from the Buc's. He made some really good adjustments at the line to get us into the right play against that defense. He needs to continue this trend in knowing his opponents tendencies and recognizing those things throughout the game.

Roman called an excellent game. He did a great job of setting up mismatches in the run game, taking advantage of what Tampa was trying to do against our run O and setting up plays in the passing game.

With all the positivity there were still some negatives.
Kaep still has to work on his post snap recognition on a few things(I think that's what led to Crabtree's frustration - albeit inexcusable), his footwork was still off at times(not by a lot though)
The defense played pretty darn well, you just gotta give it to Tampa, their QB made some pretty good plays that kept both their scoring drives going. That, plus a horrible penalty on Whitner

Examples to follow in some later posts
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Glad to see you posting this gain, looking forward to it and thank you in advance!
Johnny Football is back at it
Can you do an analysis on this play?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000298154/Anquan-Boldin-one-handed-grab
The hurry up seems like a weakness of ours and we continue to struggle with TE's (I know Barrows pointed that out as well).
This is a championship caliber defense, no doubt about that.

Can you tell if Fangio is starting to get more creative or are we sticking to sound, technical straight-up D? (By creative: exotic blitzes, zone concepts, etc)
Agreed on the run game...was dominating. I loved the James/Hunter tosses, the short designed pass to Miller off the coat tails of a VD route for 5 yards on 1st down, the designed DEEP shots to VD, etc...there was a couple really nice designs in the passing game that got guys wide open. Too many roll-rights with CK that the Bucs were exploiting in the pass rush.
Hey jonnydel, really appreciate your analysis. It is very refreshing to see such thorough analysis and you have inspired me to get back into watching film, thanks for that. I was only able to watch the first-half film this morning but there were a few things I was hoping to get a second opinion on and you nailed them in your open.

I have always heard that Bowman is good and you can see it in the numbers he puts up and some of the big plays he makes but wow. He's incredible. Two plays stand out to me specifically. One is the opening play of the game where he diagnoses the FB coming at him, steps back to throw him off balance, throws him down, then climbs over him and makes the tackle (essentially on his knees at this point). On the broadcast it's just a Bowman tackle for a 3 yard gain, but wow was it impressive. The second one was a run off right guard and Bowman diagnoses and blows up the hole before the QB even turns around. The guard and FB are pulling and Bowman is not only in the hole, but holds up a double-block(again, essentially on his knees) trusting that back-up is incoming. PWilly and I think Whitner or Reid come in to clean it up but Bowman really made the play. So cool to see how much these guys trust each other and play off each other, was a real treat to watch them.

The other thing that stood out to me was how badly Snyder played. There were 3-4 plays just in the first half where he was beat off the snap and the entire play was blown up or Kaep was flushed from the pocket. There were a few runs where he was plain beat but one pass stood out. It was the play where Kaep scrambles out to his left and picks up the first down. Snyder gets beaten almost immediately, had he held his block Vernon was wide open (looked like he was 2nd/3rd read) but Kaep had to get out to his left and by that time it was gone. He really stood out like a sore thumb (so did Celek at times).

So, two questions. As this is the first game-film of the season I've watched, has this been a trend with Snyder? Was this just a bad game or has he been this poor since Iupati was injured? Imo he is the weak link on that offense right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams attack him if Iupati can't go next week. Sorry for the long post but as you can probably tell I'm pretty excited about having some more in depth football discussions.
Lotioning up as we speak...

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by xela510:
Can you do an analysis on this play?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000298154/Anquan-Boldin-one-handed-grab

Analysis: BEAST!
"Roman called an excellent game. He did a great job of setting up mismatches in the run game, taking advantage of what Tampa was trying to do against our run O and setting up plays in the passing game."

The Niners won despite Roman's best efforts once again. Playcalling in the redzone was a joke. Example the handoff to Boldin was embarrassing. Seriously that's the best play you can come up with off a timeout? Also by constantly pulling both Boldin and Crabtree off the field at the 30 yard line accomplishes what exactly? A 2 yard dive? Roman is a joke and hopefully Dawson stays healthy since we're going to ride him as far as he'll take us
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Hey jonnydel, really appreciate your analysis. It is very refreshing to see such thorough analysis and you have inspired me to get back into watching film, thanks for that. I was only able to watch the first-half film this morning but there were a few things I was hoping to get a second opinion on and you nailed them in your open.

I have always heard that Bowman is good and you can see it in the numbers he puts up and some of the big plays he makes but wow. He's incredible. Two plays stand out to me specifically. One is the opening play of the game where he diagnoses the FB coming at him, steps back to throw him off balance, throws him down, then climbs over him and makes the tackle (essentially on his knees at this point). On the broadcast it's just a Bowman tackle for a 3 yard gain, but wow was it impressive. The second one was a run off right guard and Bowman diagnoses and blows up the hole before the QB even turns around. The guard and FB are pulling and Bowman is not only in the hole, but holds up a double-block(again, essentially on his knees) trusting that back-up is incoming. PWilly and I think Whitner or Reid come in to clean it up but Bowman really made the play. So cool to see how much these guys trust each other and play off each other, was a real treat to watch them.

The other thing that stood out to me was how badly Snyder played. There were 3-4 plays just in the first half where he was beat off the snap and the entire play was blown up or Kaep was flushed from the pocket. There were a few runs where he was plain beat but one pass stood out. It was the play where Kaep scrambles out to his left and picks up the first down. Snyder gets beaten almost immediately, had he held his block Vernon was wide open (looked like he was 2nd/3rd read) but Kaep had to get out to his left and by that time it was gone. He really stood out like a sore thumb (so did Celek at times).

So, two questions. As this is the first game-film of the season I've watched, has this been a trend with Snyder? Was this just a bad game or has he been this poor since Iupati was injured? Imo he is the weak link on that offense right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams attack him if Iupati can't go next week. Sorry for the long post but as you can probably tell I'm pretty excited about having some more in depth football discussions.

Agreed with all of the above
That's why I said Snyder didn't play too well. This was probably his poorest game of his that I've watched though
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
"Roman called an excellent game. He did a great job of setting up mismatches in the run game, taking advantage of what Tampa was trying to do against our run O and setting up plays in the passing game."

The Niners won despite Roman's best efforts once again. Playcalling in the redzone was a joke. Example the handoff to Boldin was embarrassing. Seriously that's the best play you can come up with off a timeout? Also by constantly pulling both Boldin and Crabtree off the field at the 30 yard line accomplishes what exactly? A 2 yard dive? Roman is a joke and hopefully Dawson stays healthy since we're going to ride him as far as he'll take us
Snyder ruined the handoff to Boldin, I'll show you, if Snyder makes a simple block, boldin walks in, also, the TD to Vernon was made because he pulled Crabs off the field. I will show it all through the film in a little bit, I'm first comparing our Run D to Tampa's
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone