There are 224 users in the forums

who is your Favorite 49ers FB of All Time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who is your Favorite 49ers FB of All Time?

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
With Bruce Miller out and discussion about the FB position being thrown around ...I was just wondering about who your favorite 49ers FB of alltime ?

me ...it's a tie between Rathman and "Bar None"

what about you guys?

How the hell can you forget Ken Willard?
[ Edited by NineCoronas on Dec 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineCoronas:
How the hell can you forget Ken Willard?
kids
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
lol at people confusing "BEST' with "FAVORITE."

Happens every time someone makes one of these polls.

Would someone explain how 2000 yards is better than 8000 yards? I'm rather perplexed! I love Rathman but the idea he was better than Craig is just...odd?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Would someone explain how 2000 yards is better than 8000 yards? I'm rather perplexed! I love Rathman but the idea he was better than Craig is just...odd?

Again favorite does not equal best.

When I think FB rathman comes to mind. When I think RB Craig comes to mind.

I'm sure its the same way for others as well.

Why is that so hard to comprehend? Stats are not the end all be all.
Originally posted by kingairta:

Again favorite does not equal best.

When I think FB rathman comes to mind. When I think RB Craig comes to mind.

I'm sure its the same way for others as well.

Why is that so hard to comprehend? Stats are not the end all be all.

LOL...stats no, but incredible stats versus pedestrian stats should matter! The niners were lucky to have both these players but there is no doubt which one was the more valuable and better player. As for favorite, I agree that anyone can have a favorite and it is often attached to their youth and NFL dawning experiences. My formative years were before the Walsh years but Craig blew the doors off my love for Willard. Joe Perry and John Henry Johnson were playing before football became a passion. Beasley and Floyd were also wonderful.

My list would have one number one and five number twos.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
My question is why the hell is Craig not on this list...he lined up at full back often.

This is a very good question! The answer is evidently that very few remember he was a great HB and FB and anything else he wanted to be. Rathman was wonderful...but Craig was special! Loved his receiving and his running. Rathman made some uncanny catches but he wasn't as fast or as hard on tacklers as Craig. Check out their yards from scrimmage! Craig 13,000+, Rathman 4700. Oh, but you say...how about rushing yards? Craig 8000, Rathman 2000. Craig had more receiving and rushing yards as a fullback and as a half back than Rathman had total.

Craig lined up at FB as a way to get the best 11 on the field. He was a very good football player, but he was a positional blocker as a FB, not a thumper. I like a FB who can rattle your teeth and knock you on your ass 40 times a game. Rathman's that guy.

OK...you go tackle Craig with your head in front of his knees! LOL! Rathman was wonderful but I'd rather tackle Tom than Roger any day of the week! Roger played FB until he was moved to RB so Rathman could start at FB. I don't mind being wrong once in a while but I don't really think this is one of those times.

1983 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1984 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1985 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1986 Craig FB, Cribbs RB
1987 Craig FB/RB, Cribbs RB, Rathman FB, Monroe RB, Cherry RB
1988 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1989 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1990 Craig RB, Rathman FB, Carter RB

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1989.htm

A FB should be known for his blocking more than his rushing, IMO. Rathman crushes Craig there.
  • dj43
Left out HOF John Henry Johnson.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
My question is why the hell is Craig not on this list...he lined up at full back often.

This is a very good question! The answer is evidently that very few remember he was a great HB and FB and anything else he wanted to be. Rathman was wonderful...but Craig was special! Loved his receiving and his running. Rathman made some uncanny catches but he wasn't as fast or as hard on tacklers as Craig. Check out their yards from scrimmage! Craig 13,000+, Rathman 4700. Oh, but you say...how about rushing yards? Craig 8000, Rathman 2000. Craig had more receiving and rushing yards as a fullback and as a half back than Rathman had total.

Craig lined up at FB as a way to get the best 11 on the field. He was a very good football player, but he was a positional blocker as a FB, not a thumper. I like a FB who can rattle your teeth and knock you on your ass 40 times a game. Rathman's that guy.

OK...you go tackle Craig with your head in front of his knees! LOL! Rathman was wonderful but I'd rather tackle Tom than Roger any day of the week! Roger played FB until he was moved to RB so Rathman could start at FB. I don't mind being wrong once in a while but I don't really think this is one of those times.

1983 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1984 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1985 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1986 Craig FB, Cribbs RB
1987 Craig FB/RB, Cribbs RB, Rathman FB, Monroe RB, Cherry RB
1988 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1989 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1990 Craig RB, Rathman FB, Carter RB

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1989.htm

Craig was dangerous as a ballcarrier, but not really as a blocker. He positioned himself well in the hole, and he kept his feet moving, but Rathman would steam through the line and knock your d!ck off.

Hands down, Craig was the better running back, better threat receiving out of the backfield, and a pain in the azz to tackle. That said, If I'm an ILB/MLB plugging a hole against a lead block, I'd greatly prefer that that lead blocker be Craig instead of Rathman, and hat lead block is what aI look for in a FB, not rushing stats.
Originally posted by dj43:
Left out HOF John Henry Johnson.

Thanks, watched him the latter part of his career with Pittsburgh, power personified.

A FB should be known for his blocking more than his rushing, IMO. Rathman crushes Craig there.

Totally disagree with this! I like well rounded players who can do it all. Rathman could do it all and was the better blocker, whereas Craig could do it all and was a much better runner. I'm going to say Craig was a better receiver but that's really subjective on my part...Rathman wasn't used the same way and he made some incredible catches...so my edge goes to Craig. If I valued blocking then a guy like Tukuafu might be my choice! LOL...JK.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
There can be only one answer.... RATHMAN.

Craig with 8000 yards trumps Rathman's 2000 yards every day and Sunday!

Maybe it's just wrong.. guess technically it is.. but I just don't view Craig as a FB. Been a lot of years, but when I think of SF's best and my most favorite bruising FB? I think Rathman all the way.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

BAMF
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SoCold:

BAMF

@ 2:30 IwasAtThatCatch
Rathman all the way
Share 49ersWebzone