There are 211 users in the forums

who is your Favorite 49ers FB of All Time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who is your Favorite 49ers FB of All Time?

Steve Young or Jerry Rice
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Rathman by far. Especially the way he and Roger Craig punished the Lambs in the '89 playoffs

Over a full career, yes.
Rathman...is this even a question? Miller is really turning into something special...not a coincidence.
Rathman end of thread.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
IBSDCUIHTPSOAPNOHEHOTDTF!

"In before some dude comes up in here to post some old ass player no one has ever heard of to demonstrate their fanhood!"

ahhhhhhh too late!

If you ain't seen em' they don't exist.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Rathman's the best, but my favorite is Bar None.

This. Floyd may have been great if not for injuries...
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Rathman's the best, but my favorite is Bar None.

This. Floyd may have been great if not for injuries...

Screw Floyd! Punkass rehabbed on Eddie's dime for two whole years, then got healthy and split for more money in Carolina, when they were in our division. Tell me, how many owners would let a FB rehab a potential career-ending injury for two years on the payroll, knowing the player might never actually play football again? If Eddie didn't carry him for two years, his career was over. No way he'd have been able to come back on his own. I had his jersey, too. Now I can't even look at it.

Anyway, my profile name isn't an accident. Rathman was pure, distilled football.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
my lord, how is ken willard not in this list?
Originally posted by Dshearn:
My question is why the hell is Craig not on this list...he lined up at full back often.

This is a very good question! The answer is evidently that very few remember he was a great HB and FB and anything else he wanted to be. Rathman was wonderful...but Craig was special! Loved his receiving and his running. Rathman made some uncanny catches but he wasn't as fast or as hard on tacklers as Craig. Check out their yards from scrimmage! Craig 13,000+, Rathman 4700. Oh, but you say...how about rushing yards? Craig 8000, Rathman 2000. Craig had more receiving and rushing yards as a fullback and as a half back than Rathman had total.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My question is why the hell is Craig not on this list...he lined up at full back often.

This is a very good question! The answer is evidently that very few remember he was a great HB and FB and anything else he wanted to be. Rathman was wonderful...but Craig was special! Loved his receiving and his running. Rathman made some uncanny catches but he wasn't as fast or as hard on tacklers as Craig. Check out their yards from scrimmage! Craig 13,000+, Rathman 4700. Oh, but you say...how about rushing yards? Craig 8000, Rathman 2000. Craig had more receiving and rushing yards as a fullback and as a half back than Rathman had total.

Craig lined up at FB as a way to get the best 11 on the field. He was a very good football player, but he was a positional blocker as a FB, not a thumper. I like a FB who can rattle your teeth and knock you on your ass 40 times a game. Rathman's that guy.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Craig lined up at FB as a way to get the best 11 on the field. He was a very good football player, but he was a positional blocker as a FB, not a thumper. I like a FB who can rattle your teeth and knock you on your ass 40 times a game. Rathman's that guy.

OK...you go tackle Craig with your head in front of his knees! LOL! Rathman was wonderful but I'd rather tackle Tom than Roger any day of the week! Roger played FB until he was moved to RB so Rathman could start at FB. I don't mind being wrong once in a while but I don't really think this is one of those times.

1983 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1984 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1985 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1986 Craig FB, Cribbs RB
1987 Craig FB/RB, Cribbs RB, Rathman FB, Monroe RB, Cherry RB
1988 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1989 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1990 Craig RB, Rathman FB, Carter RB

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1989.htm
Wilbur Jackson...dude was a stud and was Bill Walsh's first "West Coast" FB.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

No....Craig was a starting FB becuase he was the best FB on the team.

Both Rathman and Craig were WCO full backs.

Lets not act like Rathman was Moose or something else romantic.

Rathman was put on the bench(in his prime) by Marc Loagan.
OK...you go tackle Craig with your head in front of his knees! LOL! Rathman was wonderful but I'd rather tackle Tom than Roger any day of the week! Roger played FB until he was moved to RB so Rathman could start at FB. I don't mind being wrong once in a while but I don't really think this is one of those times.

1983 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1984 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1985 Craig FB, Tyler RB
1986 Craig FB, Cribbs RB
1987 Craig FB/RB, Cribbs RB, Rathman FB, Monroe RB, Cherry RB
1988 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1989 Craig RB, Rathman FB
1990 Craig RB, Rathman FB, Carter RB

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/1989.htm

This is like a conversation where people forget Lott was a CB or people forgetting Ricky Watters was a WR(nd)

The 49ers were not an I formation team and that probably causes confusion. Any one talking about rathman is use to thinking of Craig as a 234 pound half back
Share 49ersWebzone