LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Gameplan Verse Seattle in the Playoffs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When watching the game this past Sunday, I was infuriated that Fangio did not change our game plan much at all compared to how he defended Seattle in September. In September, Seattle routinely ran out of a 11 personnel on second down. We ran a nickel or split Aldon out on the slot WR on these occasions. Either way we left only 6 people in the box and Seattle torched us on these downs. This occurred in the game on Sunday in the first half. In both September and on Sunday we routinely kicked Seattle's ass on first downs setting up 2nd and longs, but when Seattle switched to an 11 personnel because of the passing situation they ran out of it. In the first half on Sunday was again successful running this. Needless to say I was infuriated. Fangio didn't do anything different from September to Sunday. Talk about a complete lack of coaching. The second half was no different other than our players simply performed better than theirs, but the game plan was no different.

In Seattle, Fangio is going to have to do something different. I wish he would model our defensive strategy after what the Rams did. The Rams pressed the LOS and dared Wilson to beat them in a drop back passing game...he couldn't. The Rams batted down a number of balls at the LOS and pressured Wilson all night by loading the box against the run but also having a guy pressuring Wilson in case of a play action.

The Rams outlined the way to beat Seattle. I am curious to see if the Rams use the same game plan in a few weeks and whether it still works. I know that Okung and Unger were out in that game, but Unger really isn't anything special.

I would love to hear the suggestions, but regardless of the how he does it, Fangio needs to bring something different to the table in January if we expect to win in Seattle.

The same goes for the offense. Gro better figure out a way to get VD in the gameplan against that cover 3. The flats are very open in that scheme, and we better figure out a way to beat their CB's one on one.
[ Edited by bigwads on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM ]
Play at home..... Oh wait......

• Antix
  • Veteran
A bit premature I think.
defense just play a man zone combo and stick to their assignments and call it a night.

in seattle they won because we turned the ball over 5 times.

the score was 12-3 in the 3rd

it had been 5-0 at half time...

turn it over 5 times you're not going to win, offense plays like it did sunday in seattle limiting mistakes...continuing to run.. etc we probably win that game just like we won this one
Not worried about Fangio's defense. They keep Wilson and Lynch in check for the most part (and not many teams can say that).

It's Roman and this offense that we should legitimately be concerned about going into the post season.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Not worried about Fangio's defense. They keep Wilson and Lynch in check for the most part (and not many teams can say that).

It's Roman and this offense that we should legitimately be concerned about going into the post season.

open up we win

close it down, so does the season

exactly
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Play at home..... Oh wait......

Do you live in an alternate universe? We WON the game.
The last thing I'm worried about is our defense. The first outing our defense was doing decent but they could only do so much with 3 and out every damn time. If we sustain a damn drive in seattle and get on the board like we did in sf the defense will play similar to what we saw last weekend. Our offense must show up in Seattle though and they haven't done that in over a year.
I think we should wear earplugs. I think it is better to hear nothing than to be constantly irritated by distracting noise.

Can't they put noise canceling headphones in Kap's helmet DURING the game? That is when he really needs it. He doesn't need it as much when walking into the stadium.

You've been reading jonnydel's thread haven't you! Common now.. you can say it! The truth is........we all have

Bingo. Not worried about the D one little bit. The O on the other hand......
In the immortal words of Mr. Wolf: "Let's not start sucking each others d***s just yet"
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
In the immortal words of Mr. Wolf: "Let's not start sucking each others d***s just yet"

I was going to post the same thing.

Way too premature. We play two very solid defenses coming up a long with one playing for their playoff lives who happens to be a divisional opponent. And then, you know, possible winning two more playoff games.
Same gameplan as always. Run the ball, make plays passing off play-action. That's our strength, we have to be able to keep our composure in that environment and execute. Can't turn the ball over. Last time we had 5 turnovers, and that doesn't even include a safety and turnover on downs, so really it was 7 total.
Share 49ersWebzone