LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

2013 - Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sorry for the lateness of this, but as I said last night we lost a member of our family Monday morning. More on that later.

1) Kap: I think it's important to keep in mind who they were playing. That's the best secondary in the NFL they were up against. I HATE those guys, and one in particular (more on that later), but they are damned good. Kap tried to make a few of those back shoulder throws that he's becoming adept at throwing in the past few weeks and they were very well defended...and maybe even illegally defended.

The INT...it;s really easy to put that one on Kap and he did so himself, but there is a part of me that wonders if the design of the play was supposed to be that Crab go up over the defender to get the ball. Kap threw one just like it last week to Boldin. What further makes me wonder that is the reaction of Crab himself right after the play and in his tweets after the game. He blames HIMSELF on that one...not Kap.

Anyway...not a great game but by far the best game Kap has played vs Seattle.

2) Gore: Wow. It wasn't the running that has me wowed. It's the SMARTS to get down in bounds. Those small decisions are huge and are all the difference between winning and losing.

3) Sherman: You can always count on good ol' Dick Sherman to say something stupid and act like he knows something nobody else knows. So damn arrogant. So damn false. "This is a glorified practice". "They got the calls". "We expected a blowout". It amazes me constantly how Seattle fans go on and on and on and on about how big a "douche" Kap is and how Harbaugh is the antichrist and then turn a totally blind eye to the biggest a$$hat in the NFL who resides in their own secondary. The guy is good. Check that...the guy is GREAT. For a fanbase that states the 49ers have no "class", its 100% hypocrisy claim that and then support Dick Sherman.

4) Crab: Clearly not all the way back, but making strides. A bit better every week. Still sometimes seems to be playing out of control, but I think that's more rust than anything else. He seems to have much more strength and confidence in that leg than I'd anticipated he'd have at this point.

5) Boldin: Godsend. Still slow as molasses, but just so damn tough and smart. Crab coming back is preventing teams from doubling him and we are going to see more and more of him running open than we did earlier in the year.

6) Bowman: This just in - He's good. The speed that he closed on Wilson with shocked even Wilson. It doesn't look like he's moving that fast but he's flyin'.

7) Dawson: GREAT signing. Remember that feeling of dread last year whenever Akers would trot on the field? Gone.

8) CB: I think it's fair to say that Rogers is playing in his last few games in SF. We'll have to see on Brown. Brock has continued to look really, really good though. Wright is just getting himself back into playing again so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Culliver should also be back next year and I'd expect to see the 49ers draft a CB or 2 to compete.

9) Playoffs: It looks like the 5 seed might be a possibility. Dead heat with Carolina, tho they own the tie-breaker. They still have to play NO again tho. That would change things a bit. Niners look like they'd go to Detroit in round 1 and then go to NO in round 2. Those are both winnable games. The Panthers would have to go into Philly and if they won go to Seattle. That would give the Panthers a shot to knock off Seattle in Seattle. If the 'hawks win, that sets up a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game in Seattle. That could be fantastic. Its a rough game, but it'll be worth the shot to knock them off in their house.

10) Grace: This one is purely selfish and has nothing to do with football. Many of you have already offered your condolences when I mentioned that we were forced to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep Monday morning. For that, I thank all of you.

RIP Grace Aspen Steele

Sorry to hear about your dog, been there myself and it's tough, never been able to have another.

1) Kap - managed the game well enough to let us win. I still question a number of Roman's play calls but we got it done against a very, very good defence. Worth noting that the messianic Russel Wilson had equivalent passing statistics though for more yards, whilst Kap actually outproduced him slightly when you add in his rushing. I think a lot of his throws were game planned to be lasers to prevent the Seattle seconday making plays on them. I think the message to him was to fire it in there and trust Boldin, VD and Crabs to catch it as opposed to week 2 where he lofted more passes and got intercepted more. I think it was a deliberate part of the plan to try and nuetralise their secondary.

Pass to Crabs, I think you're right on the back shoulder from Crabs' reaction and the fact it was also arced a bit. I'd only suggest in that case Kap might have wanted to put it to the end zone corner as Crabs might have been able to reach it there.

2) Gore - he came through and probably for the best that he couldn't take that run to the house, he put us in a position to win the game leaving Seattle no time to counter. If he'd scored that, Seattle would have had the ball with around 4 mins and 2 time outs.

3) Sherman has met his match in Boldin I think. This wasn't week 2 where they could double Q, it was mano-e-mano and Q made him look like a kid. The great news is Sherman has provided plenty of notice board motivational material for the team if we meet them in the play-offs.

4) Crabs looks like he's been conspiring with Boldin and taking some lessons on physicality, he's most definitely not 100% yet but he looks far more willing to go into contact Boldin style and out muscle the CB - when he gets to 100% he could be even better than last year when he adds that to his game. He's always had great hands, now he looks like he'll fight more and use his body better to go up for the ball. I think he's absorbing some of Q's mentality.

5) Boldin is rapidly becomming one of my favourite players. Yeah he's slow, but most tanks are. Kap trusts him completely. We must resign him to the end of his career, pay the man as he's good for at least 3 or 4 years and as he's never relied on speed or quickness, I can't see his productivity dropping off.

6) Doublemint twins, nuff said.

7) Agreed, we know if it goes to the wire in a tight game and it's a 48 yard FG needed to win it then we have a good shot with Dawson.

8) This is actually beginning to really concern me. Rogers has been looking lazy the last few games and he's allowed a number of 3rd down conversions by allowing huge cushions to the WR.

9) I think we will take 5th seed, NO look to have the Panther's number and I think they will win in Carolina. If the weather is good then I think Brees will pick them off. I also think though that Carolina has the defense to beat Seattle in CLink, if we take 5th seed I think there's a reasonable chance we could see a 49ers vs Panthers rematch at Candlestick for the NFCC.

Some more thoughts of my own:

Our DLine did an excellent job containing Lynch and I think it's only going to improve as Dorsey gets more Jim T training and builds confidence. Wright is looking like he could be a good contributor in the secondary, to the extend I might be tempted to drop Rogers from the starting line up. I'll go a step further and say I think we have the best defense in the NFL at the moment, regardless of the stats. For the teams we've played, the injuries we've had (Willis, RayMac, Brown) we've been incredibly consistent. I think the turnover olives could be falling out the jar again in the play-offs.

Kap is continuing to improve. He was going through progressions, making reads, stepped up into the pocket a few times and managed the game well. He audibled that 51 yard run for Gore having checked out of it previously, showing good decision making. I think along with us and Carolina who rely on the front 7 for pass rush, this Seattle defense is obviously one of the best three in the league. We won and we left plays out there, that speaks volumes. I think there could be some major wrinkles and surprises unveiled in the play-offs.

Hunter/LMJ - we need to get them more involved just to save some of Frank G's wind. I also think we can use that change of pace to vary the running game as we are looking a bit predictable/stale.

Oline - I'm not happy with it at the moment, Snyder is not up to par and the recent roster moves imply that Iupati's injury might be a bit worse than we hoped. Our run blocking and pass protection has been less than stellar and I think they have to massively improve if we're going to stand a chance of winning it all.

Special teams - looking superb, even that Tate return was the result of a slip and we managed to stop him taking it to the house.

Manningham - whether his knee is not quite 100% or it's just his confidence in it, he has been poor the last few games. I think we need to activate Patton and get him in there to see what we have.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Sorry to hear about your dog, been there myself and it's tough, never been able to have another.

1) Kap - managed the game well enough to let us win. I still question a number of Roman's play calls but we got it done against a very, very good defence. Worth noting that the messianic Russel Wilson had equivalent passing statistics though for more yards, whilst Kap actually outproduced him slightly when you add in his rushing. I think a lot of his throws were game planned to be lasers to prevent the Seattle seconday making plays on them. I think the message to him was to fire it in there and trust Boldin, VD and Crabs to catch it as opposed to week 2 where he lofted more passes and got intercepted more. I think it was a deliberate part of the plan to try and nuetralise their secondary.

Pass to Crabs, I think you're right on the back shoulder from Crabs' reaction and the fact it was also arced a bit. I'd only suggest in that case Kap might have wanted to put it to the end zone corner as Crabs might have been able to reach it there.

2) Gore - he came through and probably for the best that he couldn't take that run to the house, he put us in a position to win the game leaving Seattle no time to counter. If he'd scored that, Seattle would have had the ball with around 4 mins and 2 time outs.

3) Sherman has met his match in Boldin I think. This wasn't week 2 where they could double Q, it was mano-e-mano and Q made him look like a kid. The great news is Sherman has provided plenty of notice board motivational material for the team if we meet them in the play-offs.

4) Crabs looks like he's been conspiring with Boldin and taking some lessons on physicality, he's most definitely not 100% yet but he looks far more willing to go into contact Boldin style and out muscle the CB - when he gets to 100% he could be even better than last year when he adds that to his game. He's always had great hands, now he looks like he'll fight more and use his body better to go up for the ball. I think he's absorbing some of Q's mentality.

5) Boldin is rapidly becomming one of my favourite players. Yeah he's slow, but most tanks are. Kap trusts him completely. We must resign him to the end of his career, pay the man as he's good for at least 3 or 4 years and as he's never relied on speed or quickness, I can't see his productivity dropping off.

7) Agreed, we know if it goes to the wire in a tight game and it's a 48 yard FG needed to win it then we have a good shot with Dawson.

8) This is actually beginning to really concern me. Rogers has been looking lazy the last few games and he's allowed a number of 3rd down conversions by allowing huge cushions to the WR.

9) I think we will take 5th seed, NO look to have the Panther's number and I think they will win in Carolina. If the weather is good then I think Brees will pick them off. I also think though that Carolina has the defense to beat Seattle in CLink, if we take 5th seed I think there's a reasonable chance we could see a 49ers vs Panthers rematch at Candlestick for the NFCC.

Our DLine did an excellent job containing Lynch and I think it's only going to improve as Dorsey gets more Jim T training and builds confidence. Wright is looking like he could be a good contributor in the secondary, to the extend I might be tempted to drop Rogers from the starting line up. I'll go a step further and say I think we have the best defense in the NFL at the moment, regardless of the stats. For the teams we've played, the injuries we've had (Willis, RayMac, Brown) we've been incredibly consistent. I think the turnover olives could be falling out the jar again in the play-offs.

Kap is continuing to improve. He was going through progressions, making reads, stepped up into the pocket a few times and managed the game well. He audibled that 51 yard run for Gore having checked out of it previously, showing good decision making. I think along with us and Carolina who rely on the front 7 for pass rush, this Seattle defense is obviously one of the best three in the league. We won and we left plays out there, that speaks volumes. I think there could be some major wrinkles and surprises unveiled in the play-offs.

Hunter/LMJ - we need to get them more involved just to save some of Frank G's wind. I also think we can use that change of pace to vary the running game as we are looking a bit predictable/stale.

Oline - I'm not happy with it at the moment, Snyder is not up to par and the recent roster moves imply that Iupati's injury might be a bit worse than we hoped. Our run blocking and pass protection has been less than stellar and I think they have to massively improve if we're going to stand a chance of winning it all.

Special teams - looking superb, even that Tate return was the result of a slip and we managed to stop him taking it to the house.

Manningham - whether his knee is not quite 100% or it's just his confidence in it, he has been poor the last few games. I think we need to activate Patton and get him in there to see what we have.

Good post!

I agree that the roster moves suggest that Iupati isn't doing well. I think Snyder has been doing a decent job though.

I'm concerned about Hunter, LMJ, Manningham,and McDonald... Not good production from players other than our stalwarts.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Good post!

I agree that the roster moves suggest that Iupati isn't doing well. I think Snyder has been doing a decent job though.

I'm concerned about Hunter, LMJ, Manningham,and McDonald... Not good production from players other than our stalwarts.

Hunter: Not concerned. He's not Frank. He doesn't have the vision and won't ever be as good as Frank is against a 8, 9, or 10 man box. Its goign to be on Kap and Roman when Frank retires to make people pay for stacking the box like that.

LMJ: He has to get his chances to run the ball before I'll be concerned with him. He looked good late last year and simply hasn't gotten a shot this year.

Manningham: He is not a physical receiver. When a DB plays press man on him the way Seattle does, it's tough for him to get open. Boldin and Crab are much better against that style of play.

McDonald: Dunno. Just not getting his opportunities in the pass game. He was raw coming in tho having played more like a WR in college than a TE. He'll improve.
Thanks Marvin. Sorry about your dog, it is tough to lose a family member.
I agree with your observations. SF is a tough team to play even with all of our injuries, and this time we won. Hope to get to see a third game and hope to win in Seattle. Oline was struggling, with Snyder there. Wish they would use Kilgore but he seems to be the center apparent. Don't know if Looney is any better than Snyder but it appears that Harbaugh thinks Snyder gives them the best oline support.

I have a lot of concerns about Manningham and hope that Patton gets on the field and that he and Kaep get a few completions to build on him as a viable option. Same with McDonald. He seems to be open but his history so far is 50% drops or more. Would like to see more passes to Miller, and that would open up the backfield a little more for Crabs and Boldin if they have to have someone following Miller all the time.

Dline seemed to do well and all our linemen seem to be holding up well. I like Jerod-Eddies progress.

Backfield seemed to do well. It will be interesting to see if they keep Rogers or use Morris as his replacement. Thought our CBs played well and our safeties played well. Great pick on Reid - definitely an upgrade over Goldson.

I hope that Harbaugh allows Roman a chance to be a head coach somewhere. Would like to see a different OC approach to our team.

I think we win out for our last three games and become the 5th seed. Every game that shows progress in Kaep's development for progressions and reads, and then freedom to improvise will improve our chances to win the SB.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
I will get destroyed for this but am just curious if anyone else thought this. On the gore run, was he really thinking I have to get down in bounds or was he attempting to cut back on the D and realized he was just out of gas and it wasn't going to happen.

Just re watching the play he seemed to look like he was trying to elude the first defender with a stop and go. Then realized not only was that not going to happen but another defender was coming in.

Could be wrong and if I am man Frank has brilliant football mind because the whole time I was thinking you have to score. Had no thoughts on the idea of getting tackled in bounds since we only needed three and having a chance (since without Kaeps sweep it doesn't happen) of winning the game right there.
Originally posted by dwett:
I will get destroyed for this but am just curious if anyone else thought this. On the gore run, was he really thinking I have to get down in bounds or was he attempting to cut back on the D and realized he was just out of gas and it wasn't going to happen.

Just re watching the play he seemed to look like he was trying to elude the first defender with a stop and go. Then realized not only was that not going to happen but another defender was coming in.

Could be wrong and if I am man Frank has brilliant football mind because the whole time I was thinking you have to score. Had no thoughts on the idea of getting tackled in bounds since we only needed three and having a chance (since without Kaeps sweep it doesn't happen) of winning the game right there.

The safety and sherman were closing in quick, i think frank realized it was better to fall in bounds and not get crushed when he was already thought to be hurt, then get injured and fall out of bounds stopping the clock.
Has anyone seemed to notice that Vernon seems to be the common issue to winning or losing against the Seahawks for the last two years. In our two wins versus our two losses the biggest difference was Vernon. When Vernons off the field Seattles safeties roam around as much as they want and play tighter to the line to stop the run double receivers etc, and when hes on the field they have to keep a safety on him to protect the big play probability that comes from Vernon.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Has anyone seemed to notice that Vernon seems to be the common issue to winning or losing against the Seahawks for the last two years. In our two wins versus our two losses the biggest difference was Vernon. When Vernons off the field Seattles safeties roam around as much as they want and play tighter to the line to stop the run double receivers etc, and when hes on the field they have to keep a safety on him to protect the big play probability that comes from Vernon.

VD is our only deep threat, and that includes the return of Crabs and MM.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
VD is our only deep threat, and that includes the return of Crabs and MM.

i agree imo vernon is a big part of why we match up well against the shehawks, without a deep threat were much more vulnerable to double coverage on our posession receivers. IMO if we lost Vernon in this last game Crabs and Boldin would have had a much harder time even getting open and probably not have won.
Sorry about your loss. I have a Yellow Lab and he's like a son to me. Now the game, I loved everything about it. We showed why we can go to Seattle and beat them. Controlling the clock and hitting Wilson. We really need to start getting more 3rd downs, need more screen passes but that's just knit picking.
[ Edited by kratzer14 on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM ]

Originally posted by Buchy:

I've shown some examples over in my seahawks game analysis thread, but, Snyder actually did a heck of a job in that game. When you watch it from the endzone angles, he made some great blocks up on the 2nd level and did a good job in pass pro. The O-line as a whole, did play a heck of a game. Seattle was constantly giving 8-9 man boxes which always leaves 1-2 defenders unblocked let alone if you have to combo block a DT. On Gore's 51 yd TD, Snyder actually made a huge block. I'll show a breakdown of it in that thread tomorrow.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I've shown some examples over in my seahawks game analysis thread, but, Snyder actually did a heck of a job in that game. When you watch it from the endzone angles, he made some great blocks up on the 2nd level and did a good job in pass pro. The O-line as a whole, did play a heck of a game. Seattle was constantly giving 8-9 man boxes which always leaves 1-2 defenders unblocked let alone if you have to combo block a DT. On Gore's 51 yd TD, Snyder actually made a huge block. I'll show a breakdown of it in that thread tomorrow.

It's the sack he allowed that forced the three and out in 4th quarter that concerns me, he just seems to have brain fart moments that result in bad reversals for us.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by dwett:

The safety and sherman were closing in quick, i think frank realized it was better to fall in bounds and not get crushed when he was already thought to be hurt, then get injured and fall out of bounds stopping the clock.

It didn't look deliberate to me. It looked like his legs just went on him. He got up very gimpy. I don't care if he thought it through or not. It was a lovely run and typical Frank.
Originally posted by English:
It didn't look deliberate to me. It looked like his legs just went on him. He got up very gimpy. I don't care if he thought it through or not. It was a lovely run and typical Frank.
It was quite obviously deliberate. Right before he drops he looks back to see how close the defenders were. He knew he had to stay inbounds. The drop looked awkward because he had to come to a complete stop in about 2 feet while running full speed.
[ Edited by Dsoto87 on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:17 AM ]
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
RIP Grace
Share 49ersWebzone