There are 223 users in the forums

Article: The 49ers need Kaepernick to play like Smith on Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here is Alex Smith's stats vs Seahawks last year

Alex Smith 14/23 140yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Kaep produces a statline like that, we will get blown out!

/thread
Few points that run contrary to the article:

• Seattle has continually gotten better since the first game sited 2011
  • 2 of the 3 games sited for Smith, were at home
  • Kap has never played Seattle at Home .......... only in deafening CenturyLink
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Oh hell no
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
who cares about alex vs the hawks? jesus people. ck must play well,, we must run the ball,, we must not make mistakes on either side of the ball. the coaches must coach well and above all we have to be aggressive and actually try to be a bully vs a good team.what another qb did or may do vs the hawks means nothing
  • thl408
There's a lot that goes into "play like Smith". I want Kap to be quick and decisive with his throws and not hang onto the ball so long waiting for something to magically materialize. I understand he likes to extend plays, but sometimes a play is just not there. With a great pass rush in his face and a good secondary, just throw the checkdown, or at worst, throw it away to avoid a drive killing sack. That, is how I'd like Kap to "play like Smith". I don't want Kap to be "just like Smith" in being reluctant to take shots downfield, especially now that he has three targets to rely on, four if you count Ham.

This SEA team is very different from when Alex beat them in 2012 at the 'Stick. RW was in his 7th career start on that day. He's improved very much since then. Also, the SEA pass rush was not nearly as potent as it is now. The article could have just said, "Kap needs to take care of the ball and be willing to take what's given in terms of short passes." Done.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Few points that run contrary to the article:

• Seattle has continually gotten better since the first game sited 2011
  • 2 of the 3 games sited for Smith, were at home
  • Kap has never played Seattle at Home .......... only in deafening CenturyLink

Oh yeah ... and Alex didn't face Russell Wilson in 2 of the 3 games sited.

Pretty much comparing Apples to Coconuts.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Alex's game also relied a lot on Andy Lee to basically punt the Niners out of a field position hole after Alex had yet another 3 and out.

Kap was supposed to solve the anemic offense that we had to live with from Alex. So far it hasn't happened. Kap needs to take the training pants off, grab the big boy pants and start leading the f**king team.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaep needs to play like Last years Kaep.

but last years kaep got killed by seattle
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Alex's game also relied a lot on Andy Lee to basically punt the Niners out of a field position hole after Alex had yet another 3 and out.

Kap was supposed to solve the anemic offense that we had to live with from Alex. So far it hasn't happened. Kap needs to take the training pants off, grab the big boy pants and start leading the f**king team.

part of me wants to say ck needs some help from the coaches in regards to play calls but i will refrain
the points raised in jack hammer's article are quite valid, even filtering out the alex smith vs colin kaeprnick stuff...he is addressing a style of play that will match up well vs seahawks

the passes underneath that worked when niners scored the go aheed td vs seattle last year work because the past few games of seahawks vs 49ers the seattle dbs have physically manhandled and dominated the niners receivers...no matter who the qb is, the niners wrs havent won the battle...when they cant get open checkdowns underneath are a good strategy

• Chico
  • Veteran
Kap just needs to be himself and take shots down the field and not force the ball...
is this possible?
Originally posted by Chico:
Kap just needs to be himself and take shots down the field and not force the ball...
is this possible?

Shots down field sounds forced

He needs to put the ball ahead of the receiver and let the receiver get it
We'll have to be on our "A+" game in all 3 phases. PLUS the coaches have to be very AGGRESSIVE and lose the keep it close crap.

We have a talented roster - let the men play.

This is a "Playoff" game and a "Statement" game.

Kap needs to play his game and nobody else's.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Here is Alex Smith's stats vs Seahawks last year

Alex Smith 14/23 140yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Kaep produces a statline like that, we will get blown out!

/thread

What was Drew Brees' stat line on Monday again? 24/38 for 147 yards, 1 TD, and 1 lost fumble?

I didn't think you were normally like this, verb? I feel like you're trying crazy hard to pick a fight, brother! I'm sure you watched the game and know why the stat line was like that. An INT on a miscommunication, but other than that, a slug-fest, defensive, field-position battle game that had to be managed and eventually we broke free with the game winning TD drive.

Of course, we'd all love to see a better statistical performance. We'd be elated to have a big statistical output WITH a win. But if CK has a similar game and we win, I will be ecstatic, because that still means he did what was necessary to help his team win. The Seahawks are the #1 defense in the league right now, last year they were #4. When you're playing a team like that, low yardage totals -- ESPECIALLY when taken into context with the game -- shouldn't come as a shock or be looked at as "horrible".
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM ]
Kaepernick needs to play like he's capable of, he needs to put together a complete game, trust his receivers, trust his own instincts, if he see's an opening, he needs to take off and run, he needs to play smart football and be himself out there.
Share 49ersWebzone