LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Fran Tarkenton Says Kaeperknick looks Confused?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by verb1der:
This year is is pocket passing school for Kaep. Next year will be total annihilation!

The rules changes that allowed defenders to hit the QB on read/option really changed the teams plans. That along with how fast defenses caught up to our schemes. Harbaugh and Roman weren't ready for these rapid shifts in the dynamics. While they were creative, they didn't realize how intelligent and creative the rest of the NFL is. Welcome to the big leagues guys.

So, they saw that Frank had to be the prime guy and went back to what worked for him..the I formation. But I feel they did this in a reactionary way, riding the pendulum from wanting to be a wide open, spread passing offense as they did in the Green Bay game to being the 60% run team they morphed into during the winning stretch against inferior competition.

They have to find a new way, one that is more like the really good teams like Green Bay, Pats, New Orleans use. It's a hybrid with a lot of spread sets, still running a lot out of them. We dont' have to be 60/40 pass/run like the rest of the league, but how about 55/45. We all know the game favors passing, and we can't go against the odds forever. We're finding this out this season. Frank doesn't do as well with this, but Frank's days are coming to a close.

I think they are going to figure out that Kap functions best out of the spread and shotgun. He's built for it. He learned the game this way, he's natural and he MUST become the heart of the offense not a running back. The teams that win perennially are teams centered around an elite QB. Kap can be that, but only if we build the offense strategy around him. We saw what he can do last year. That amazing talent/skill set is still there. It's just on hold because of what they are attempting to morph him into.

Think about a New Orleans or Patriot type offense. Add in LaMichael in a Sproles role with more Kendall(who knows and would be great in spread) and we have a formula for the future. Throw in Lattimore who is the power back also familiar with spread and you have a real three headed monster at the RB. Crabs, Boldin, Manningham and VD spread out with LaMichael or Kendall in the backfield. Can you imagine what that would do to defenses if they had to also watch for Kap to roll out and turn the corner. I just don't know you would defend that. It would stretch defenses every way imaginable. If we are going to be a top team continually we are going to have to go much more in this direction....

Excellent post.

Only thing I'd add is that I hope we take a guy like Sammy Watkins, Marqise Lee, Odell Beckham Jr, or Brandin Cooks in the draft next year - a legit burner and game breaker that can stretch the field. It'd set our offense over the IMO.

Agree. I want Sammy Watkins
fran tarkenton looked confused his entire career so he really cant talk
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Hey! Knock that off! My favorite non-niner QB was a very good QB...with a mediocre team. Not sure he was a championship caliber QB but he was close. Loved to watch him run 200 yards behind the LOS in order to throw a five yard pass!

I agree with him that CK needs to be allowed to play instinctively, but at some point he will need to learn the nuances of the position and this year may be it...next? Top of the world Ma!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Hey! Knock that off! My favorite non-niner QB was a very good QB...with a mediocre team. Not sure he was a championship caliber QB but he was close. Loved to watch him run 200 yards behind the LOS in order to throw a five yard pass!
out of the non niners qbs i like brady, elway and thats pretty much it lol. i think Cam is dope but hes not on their level yet.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, Fran is one to talk. He's the one running around like a chicken without it's head.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, Fran is one to talk. He's the one running around like a chicken without it's head.

...and setting records along the way!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by mayo49:

...and setting records along the way!

True.
its not the end of the world that Kaepernick is having struggles. Everybody needs to put on the 88 niners yearbook to get some perspective. Steve Young struggled. Two time champ, Montana had some rough games too. in the end they went to soldier field and crushed the bears , then won fought hard for their third lombardi.

it takes time to become great and no qb ever achieves perfection. Kaepernick will lead the niners for many years to come, and even after the panthers and saints games, I was telling people to chill. this guy will mature. he will only get better and better once he has faced every scenario, and many struggles/ lessons.

bottom line. we are fotunate to have Kap. we are lucky to have Harbs. life is good. we may or we may not hold the trophy this year, but the future is bright. Go niners!
Originally posted by ninersforlife:
its not the end of the world that Kaepernick is having struggles. Everybody needs to put on the 88 niners yearbook to get some perspective. Steve Young struggled. Two time champ, Montana had some rough games too. in the end they went to soldier field and crushed the bears , then won fought hard for their third lombardi.

it takes time to become great and no qb ever achieves perfection. Kaepernick will lead the niners for many years to come, and even after the panthers and saints games, I was telling people to chill. this guy will mature. he will only get better and better once he has faced every scenario, and many struggles/ lessons.

bottom line. we are fotunate to have Kap. we are lucky to have Harbs. life is good. we may or we may not hold the trophy this year, but the future is bright. Go niners!

This is true...but you also never know if a guy will reach his potential. So a certain amount of angst is justifiable. It won't do any good to worry, but what else do you have to do from Monday til Saturday? LOL!

I still believe he has more physical talent than any QB I've seen and he is bright. What I don't know is whether he has the calm, champion gene or vision, or the maturity to ward off self destructive urges. It seems he does...but only time will tell for sure.
When you have only two legit pass receivers Boldin and Davis, and the defense stacks the line to stop the run/ rush the passer, it would be hard on any QB. We see how even Brady and Brees look average when they get pressured and can't find anyone open.

Crabtree will help in so many ways. The defense can't play the same way with 3 viable targets--4 if Manningham keeps recovering.

Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
When you have only two legit pass receivers Boldin and Davis, and the defense stacks the line to stop the run/ rush the passer, it would be hard on any QB. We see how even Brady and Brees look average when they get pressured and can't find anyone open.

Crabtree will help in so many ways. The defense can't play the same way with 3 viable targets--4 if Manningham keeps recovering.

And I smell a future playmaker in Quinton Patton once he can get healthy and get acclimated to this league
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:

It only makes a stronger case for the niners to make Crabtree a top priority to be re-signed, as long as he looks to be back in form.
When healthy, his route running separation, hands and YAC are very important to keeping our offense legit for the future.
Where do people get the idea we're saving plays for the playoffs? Ridiculous. These people focus on 1 game at a time. Especially with the adversity they've faced this season.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Where do people get the idea we're saving plays for the playoffs? Ridiculous. These people focus on 1 game at a time. Especially with the adversity they've faced this season.

Roman. The guy said it last year and it was rather obvious vs GB. Folk knew Kap could run but we hadn't ran so many read option plays until that game. We caught Dom Capers totally off guard. Now fast forward to this year and by virtue of our many and various injuries to our receiving core we have not yet seen what we are capable of. I am sure that down the stretch we will evolve into a more dynamic offense as we acclimate all of Crab, Mario and QP into our game plans. If we meet NO I am sure that they won't see the same things we showed them a couple of weeks ago. The personnel we had available had great impact on both our play calling and our performance. I am looking forward to this changing these next few weeks heading into the playoffs!
Originally posted by ninersforlife:
It only makes a stronger case for the niners to make Crabtree a top priority to be re-signed, as long as he looks to be back in form.
When healthy, his route running separation, hands and YAC are very important to keeping our offense legit for the future.

Combine this, with Snyder playing great last week, Crabtree might have the edge on Iupati at the moment.
Share 49ersWebzone