LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 437 users in the forums

Your Toughest Losses..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1. 1990 NFC Title Game (The Roger Craig Game)
2. 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs vs Minnesota (The Chris Carter Game)
3. 1992 NFC Title Game (1st of two Dallas Beat Downs)
4. 1993 NFC Title Game (Part 2)
5. 1983 NFC Title Game (The thwarted come back in D.C.)

The first time and only time I ever cried and needed to take a long walk....the ONLY time I've ever hated Montana.
To the OP. I was at your #1 49ers at Bears. That was beyond brutal to sit through. In that game we knocked out their starting QB Miller and I believe Gus Frerotte came in and started making plays. I think we were down to our 3rd and 4th corners as well. Bears tied with a 2 point conversion that had instant replay existed would have overturned. Knee was down. Im not a trash talker at all and didnt say a word the entire game as I was with my brother in law(bears fan) But I was lucky to get out of that stadium without getting beat down. The fans there were very classless and threatening as I walked silent and humiliated. Needless to say the bears and their fans are only below the Cowboys on my hate list.

Edit. Reading through the responses I see it was Shane Matthews. All I remember was some career back up bum saved the day.
[ Edited by facestabber on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM ]
Originally posted by facestabber:
To the OP. I was at your #1 49ers at Bears. That was beyond brutal to sit through. In that game we knocked out their starting QB Miller and I believe Gus Frerotte came in and started making plays. I think we were down to our 3rd and 4th corners as well. Bears tied with a 2 point conversion that had instant replay existed would have overturned. Knee was down. Im not a trash talker at all and didnt say a word the entire game as I was with my brother in law(bears fan) But I was lucky to get out of that stadium without getting beat down. The fans there were very classless and threatening as I walked silent and humiliated. Needless to say the bears and their fans are only below the Cowboys on my hate list.

Edit. Reading through the responses I see it was Shane Matthews. All I remember was some career back up bum saved the day.

It was Shane Mathews who came in for Miller...I don't think Frerotte ever played with Chi.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
All the games we lost to the Packers! Especially when Farve was there.

These all were as painful as games could be but for me the blatant Ref ripoff of '83 had the most personal effect.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
when I lost my brothers in 'Nam.
The most shocking was the Viking game after the 9ers were just destroying the league and then , laid an egg right away in the playoffs.

That team didn't like time off. My head wasn't right for years. Hell it still isn't right.

Most painful?

Every single one.
I'm really peeved about that Brooks debacle.

That was a season changing win we had.

Brooks made a great play.

[ Edited by 49erWay on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
when I lost my brothers in 'Nam.

Sorry to hear that.
That 2011 Cowboys loss really hurt, only because we lost that game the same way the Singletary-49ers would lose games... getting conservative with lead and then handing them W's in the final 5 minutes.

Thankfully, Harbaugh led the 49ers on a beautiful winning streak after that game. But man... I was MAD after that Dallas loss.

This past Sunday against the Saints was similar. I guess I don't like the feeling of wins being stolen from us. You feel like you got cheated. I guess it's how you lose for me, not necessarily the stakes. I was sad about the Super Bowl, but I wasn't friggin' ANGRY!

Originally posted by Niners816:
The game outside of the NFC title game losses and last years Super Bowl that really gets to me is the 1995 divisional game against GB. The niners were like 9 points favorite defending champs. This game started the struggles with Green Bay and prevented the 4th straight NFC title game with Dallas. The 1995 niners were just a weird team, at their peak they demolished Dallas in Dallas with Elvis at qb and at their worst lost to an expansion Carolina team. Also had a bad loss to Atlanta in week 17, that prevented home field. They had the number 1 offense and the number 2 defense. That game vs Green Bay still gets to me cause the niners were badly out schemed. Ole Pete Carroll had no answer farve and holmgren. I remember farve being like 12/13 for like 200 yards with 3 tds in the first half. Trestman offense faired no better, as young was harrassed all game and attempted what I still think is a playoff record 65 passes.

I recall a number of really bad ref calls in that game as well...
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
2. 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs vs Minnesota (The Anthony "Don't call me Chris" Carter Game)

These all were as painful as games could be but for me the blatant Ref ripoff of '83 had the most personal effect.

At the time it was the worst thing ever. Now I have mixed feelings. As much as that game hurt I think the Raiders would have spanked us in Tampa as much as it pains me to say. The Raiders were peaking and we were just getting by. But for Eddie Murray missing two FG's the week before we wouldn't have even made it to DC. I can tolerate that heart break far easier than a history that had the Raiders beating us in the Superbowl.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM ]
Ladies... it's too easy to pick a playoff game. In the end of the day a playoff game will hurt really bad for one reason and one reason alone: We Lost.

That said thee WORST regular season lost since 1999 (when I started watching the Niners) is easily...

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

one of the times i do blame the refs,, i think those calls were called on you right ronnie?
1998 vs Atlanta in the playoffs, still makes me mad as f**k thinking about it, especially with Garrison Hearst getting injured so easily. 2011 vs the Giants in the NFC Championship Game, 49ers had that game in hand, just another field goal would have put the game away.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone