LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Your Toughest Losses..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i barely remember that 1990 nfc championship game but i do. i remember betting a buddy in junior high $20 the 9ers 3peat. i couldn't face him the next 3 weeks cause he wouldn't let me live it down.

but to me the worst game was the 9ers vs seattle game somewhere in 2000s. they shut us out. that ended our streak, the longest standing streak in the nfl, of scoring in every game since like 1980something. to make it worse my buddies (since i live in chicago) were making fun of me that watching that game was like watching seattle practice.

and any and all games where brett farve beat us. i hate that guy to this day.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
That 1990 NFC title game was BY FAR the WORST moment of my fandom life!! 49ers were 8.5 point favorites at home vs a decent GIANTS team with a backup QB Hostetler, I thought it would be a 27-10 type no doubt 49er win. Instead, the GIANTS defense stifled our offense only giving up 13 points. Our 49er defense was also STELLAR on that day except for the final drive when for some ungodly reason, they decided to play off coverage. I was planning on how to celebrate the 1st ever 3peat in the Super Bowl era only to be traumatized up until this moment to be honest. I cant even fathom rewatching that dam game.

this times infinity, i have long ago forgiven craig but can not get over the game,, last years super bowl was right up there because the coaches did not put the players in a spot to,, oh never mind.... the game with the phantom pass interference call vs lott vs washington was tough to.(thats back in my younger days when i actually blamed refs for our losses )
The 1990 title game still eats at my guts.

WHY they didn't give it to Rathman who almost never fumbled still hurts like hell.

Mostly because I HATE the Giants so much.

The next one was a Packer playoff game [sorry I forgot the year] where Siefert put a guy w/ a cast on his arm/wrist to filed a KO or a punt and he fumbled and they scored after that also burns.
Originally posted by ninersush:
i barely remember that 1990 nfc championship game but i do. i remember betting a buddy in junior high $20 the 9ers 3peat. i couldn't face him the next 3 weeks cause he wouldn't let me live it down.

but to me the worst game was the 9ers vs seattle game somewhere in 2000s. they shut us out. that ended our streak, the longest standing streak in the nfl, of scoring in every game since like 1980something. to make it worse my buddies (since i live in chicago) were making fun of me that watching that game was like watching seattle practice.

and any and all games where brett farve beat us. i hate that guy to this day.

What sucked even more that day was that Jerry Rice's consecutive completion streak ended as well, when the Raiders didn't even look his way once.

For me, it was the 90 NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl last year. I still haven't watched the Super Bowl again, and I probably never will.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The 1990 title game still eats at my guts.

WHY they didn't give it to Rathman who almost never fumbled still hurts like hell.

Mostly because I HATE the Giants so much.

The next one was a Packer playoff game [sorry I forgot the year] where Siefert put a guy w/ a cast on his arm/wrist to filed a KO or a punt and he fumbled and they scored after that also burns.
adam walker you gave the ball to craig because, even though he had a bad year and was at the end of the line,, he was still craig and a pretty safe bet. no one ever thought craig would do what he did
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1. 1990 NFC Title Game (The Roger Craig Game)
2. 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs vs Minnesota (The Chris Carter Game)
3. 1992 NFC Title Game (1st of two Dallas Beat Downs)
4. 1993 NFC Title Game (Part 2)
5. 1983 NFC Title Game (The thwarted come back in D.C.)

the anthony carter game. cris carter was a eagle.
  • Veteran
Definitely 1990 NFC Championship game. It hurt for a long time.
Originally posted by crabman82:
the anthony carter game. cris carter was a eagle.

Duh. Thanks. I'm still blocking it out
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
It has to be the superbowl and its not even close. We were the most talented team and we lost, bad!

worst regular season lost was either 1996 against packers or 1996 carolina AT home!
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Some of my worsts:

1) Week 7, 2001, 49ers at Chicago Bears. We're up 28-9 halfway through the third quarter and just rolling on the Bears who like the Niners were the surprise team of the year after several crappy years. This was a huge statement game to show the NFL the Niners were back, baby! I really don't know how, but everything just suddenly went the Bears way and they managed to force overtime. On the very first play in overtime, Garcia's sends a dart to Owens right down the middle, which would have been a huge gain, except for the fact that Owens decided it was a terrific time to grow a nice fat pair of butterfingers and bobbles the easy catch right to Mike Brown who takes it all the way into the end zone.

Well, not quite "several" crappy years unless you mean two, because they were a playoff team in '98, then wheels fell off after Young's injury in '99, and 2000 was a down year although you could good things about to happen.

As for that game vs Chicago, it was one of the few times I agreed with Terrell Owens when he basically said afterwards that Mariucci took it easy once the 49ers had the big lead...I think he said it was because Mariucci didn't want to embarrass his buddies coaching the Bears, which I don't think was the case, it was just that Mariucci did have a thing for trying to work the clock once he had a lead instead of just remaining aggressive. And that loss essentially doomed the 49ers in the playoffs, because at 13-3 they would've had a home game, but at 12-4 they had to go to Green Bay. Not saying they would've even beat GB in SF, but they had zero shot at Lambeau.

But my worst losses were the
Super Bowl
'83 NFCCG,
'90 NFCCG,
'87 playoff loss to Vikings,
2011 NFCCG,
final game of '82 season vs Rams where a blocked FG by Lee Roy Irvin kept 49ers from making playoffs,
'83 reg season Falcons Hail Mary to White Shoes Johnson, to this day I still do not believe he got the ball across the goal line before he was down...

There's more, but that's enough conjuring up bad memories.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM ]

BAL game. Close Thread. 4 plays and 5 yards away from winning a SB and keeping our record perfect.
Super Bowl 47 by light years ahead of anything else.

92 / 93 against the Cowboys
90 against the Giants
11 against the Giants
98 against the Falcons

Should be 11 rings.

Regular season losses hurt like hell, but fade over time. The loss against the Chiefs in 94 hurt a ton because I was a bit younger and more of a Young guy over Montana. Hurt to not beat the legend, but obviously that season ended on a high note.

As I have gotten older and appreciate that Montana kinda got the short end of the stick on his way out of town, I am glad he never lost to Young.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Some of my worsts:

1) Week 7, 2001, 49ers at Chicago Bears. We're up 28-9 halfway through the third quarter and just rolling on the Bears who like the Niners were the surprise team of the year after several crappy years. This was a huge statement game to show the NFL the Niners were back, baby! I really don't know how, but everything just suddenly went the Bears way and they managed to force overtime. On the very first play in overtime, Garcia's sends a dart to Owens right down the middle, which would have been a huge gain, except for the fact that Owens decided it was a terrific time to grow a nice fat pair of butterfingers and bobbles the easy catch right to Mike Brown who takes it all the way into the end zone.

Well, not quite "several" crappy years unless you mean two, because they were a playoff team in '98, then wheels fell off after Young's injury in '99, and 2000 was a down year although you could good things about to happen.

As for that game vs Chicago, it was one of the few times I agreed with Terrell Owens when he basically said afterwards that Mariucci took it easy once the 49ers had the big lead...I think he said it was because Mariucci didn't want to embarrass his buddies coaching the Bears, which I don't think was the case, it was just that Mariucci did have a thing for trying to work the clock once he had a lead instead of just remaining aggressive. And that loss essentially doomed the 49ers in the playoffs, because at 13-3 they would've had a home game, but at 12-4 they had to go to Green Bay. Not saying they would've even beat GB in SF, but they had zero shot at Lambeau.

But my worst losses were the
Super Bowl
'83 NFCCG,
'90 NFCCG,
'87 playoff loss to Vikings,
2011 NFCCG,
final game of '82 season vs Rams where a blocked FG by Lee Roy Irvin kept 49ers from making playoffs,
'83 reg season Falcons Hail Mary to White Shoes Johnson, to this day I still do not believe he got the ball across the goal line before he was down...

There's more, but that's enough conjuring up bad memories.

...oh, do have to add a Week 7 loss to the Steelers in 1984, where Wersching missed a last-second 37-yd FG that would have tied the game, and you just knew 49ers would win in OT. That was how close the 49ers came to the only 19-0 season in NFL history.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
That 1990 NFC title game was BY FAR the WORST moment of my fandom life!! 49ers were 8.5 point favorites at home vs a decent GIANTS team with a backup QB Hostetler, I thought it would be a 27-10 type no doubt 49er win. Instead, the GIANTS defense stifled our offense only giving up 13 points. Our 49er defense was also STELLAR on that day except for the final drive when for some ungodly reason, they decided to play off coverage. I was planning on how to celebrate the 1st ever 3peat in the Super Bowl era only to be traumatized up until this moment to be honest. I cant even fathom rewatching that dam game.

This one! I was literally sick to my stomach for a month. I felt weak, empty with the lump in my throat. It was the end of an era and 10 times worse than when i first had my heart broken
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Chico:

This one! I was literally sick to my stomach for a month. I felt weak, empty with the lump in my throat. It was the end of an era and 10 times worse than when i first had my heart broken

I remember crying. like tears and errthang. I was only like 13 doe, so that's my excuse for being a puss.
Share 49ersWebzone