There are 172 users in the forums

Your Toughest Losses..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ugh. That feeling when the niners, in contention for the division (or sometimes not), lets a game they easily could've wrapped up slip away. Sure sucks doesn't it. These last two weeks have been brutal, winning late in both of them, but just couldn't put the thing away. Makes me think of the absolute worst ones I've seen, so instead of starting a "OMG NINERS SUCK FIRE EVERYBODY" thread, I wanna hear which losses have personally pissed you off the most to the point where you threw your beer, kicked the dog, or managed to light your house on fire in a fit of rage. Might make the sting of these last two a little less unbearable.

Some of my worsts:

1) Week 7, 2001, 49ers at Chicago Bears. We're up 28-9 halfway through the third quarter and just rolling on the Bears who like the Niners were the surprise team of the year after several crappy years. This was a huge statement game to show the NFL the Niners were back, baby! I really don't know how, but everything just suddenly went the Bears way and they managed to force overtime. On the very first play in overtime, Garcia's sends a dart to Owens right down the middle, which would have been a huge gain, except for the fact that Owens decided it was a terrific time to grow a nice fat pair of butterfingers and bobbles the easy catch right to Mike Brown who takes it all the way into the end zone.

As I stumbled down the busy street the bar I was at was on very drunk and angry, yelling "F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K! F**K F************K!!!!!!!!" at the very top of my voice, I'm quite sure the people who saw me that day either thought I was completely insane or were niner fans as well, and just as pissed, because that game had me about as pissed off as Russell Crowe on one of his better days.

2) Week 3, 2009, 49ers at Vikings. This s**tshow of a game pitted the 2-0 Niners against the Brett Fahvruh led Vikings. I hate Brett Favruh. So much. All I wanted for Christmas that year was to watch the Niners faceplant him into the turf, repeatedly. And that's what they were doing, Shaun Hill puts us ahead late in the 4th, with no Frank Gore, and the Defense locking down on Mr. penis picture taking primadonna hillbilly who can throw the ball really far, but what happens?? With like 2 seconds left in the game he throws up the biggest prayer I've ever seen in my life and just it happens to go to where Mark Roman was, who was about as good at playing safety as Justin Blackmon is at passing his piss tests. That ball was in the air for what seemed like forever, and all I could think was "please God, don't let Brett Favruh screw us over again like he's the real life version of Lucy and the 49ers are Charlie Brown. Please God?"

Of course God was not a 49er fan that day because Mark Roman let some dude named Greg Lewis make a miracle catch right in the corner of the end zone like 2 miles from where Fahvruh threw it and I'm kicking planter boxes over and swearing very loudly because I was about as drunk and angry as Russell Crowe in a good mood. That one really sucked.

3) Week 2, 2011 season, Cowboys at 49ers. If there is anything I hate more than that redneck good 'ol douchbag Brett Fahvruh, it's the Cowboys and their meltdown mess of a QB named Tony Ho.. I mean.. Romo. I don't care if we have to go 0-14 the rest of the season, can we please not lose to the Cowboys, at home, in overtime, after being up 21-7, like please?? No, sorry, because that's what happened. And what makes that even so much better was they came back after we had taken Romo out of the game with two broken freaking ribs and could barely breathe. Oh, that's fine, he just comes back in and totally dominates, and then wins the game in OT on a 77 yarder to some dude WHO ONLY MADE THE TEAM BECAUSE HE WON SOME STUPID REALITY TV SHOW THAT IDIOT MICHAEL IRVIN COOKED UP.

Why. Just, WHY. Why must I endure this, God must hate the 49ers I concluded as I violently threw my Eggo waffles at the wall, over and over again, making sure all the syrup and butter on them knew exactly the full extent of my rage. My sister still makes fun of me for that, reminding me of the time the 49ers lost because of Michael Irvin's STUPID PET PROJECT.

There are many more games that have pissed me off but those I remember the most because of just how much I felt the way Russell Crowe does when he wakes in morning. It's funny, the horrible heartbreaking losses in the playoffs give me a much different feeling, less like Russell Crowe and more like Rush Limbaugh, you know, like a sad, empty inside loser who with no hope in life.

Let's hear which are your worst losses, and more importantly, how much of an ass you made of yourself.

P.S. Dear Mods, I apologize my parents allowed me to grow up to be such a potty-mouth.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM ]
i didnt see the 1990 nfc title game on your list, be happy you didnt see it.
after watching ted Ginn kick but for the Panthers, I gotta fire the passing game coordinator and the recievers coach whomever that is.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i didnt see the 1990 nfc title game on your list, be happy you didnt see it.

Yeah, was a fan but really young. It's weird, the close playoff losses just make me want to curl up and cry lol.
the regular season loss that pissed me off the most was probably the 1996 MNF in green bay. i felt we brought the pain that night but were screwed in the pre-replay era when marquez pope touched don beebe down but the refs didnt call it and he got up and ran for a td.
That 1990 NFC title game was BY FAR the WORST moment of my fandom life!! 49ers were 8.5 point favorites at home vs a decent GIANTS team with a backup QB Hostetler, I thought it would be a 27-10 type no doubt 49er win. Instead, the GIANTS defense stifled our offense only giving up 13 points. Our 49er defense was also STELLAR on that day except for the final drive when for some ungodly reason, they decided to play off coverage. I was planning on how to celebrate the 1st ever 3peat in the Super Bowl era only to be traumatized up until this moment to be honest. I cant even fathom rewatching that dam game.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
That 1990 NFC title game was BY FAR the WORST moment of my fandom life!! 49ers were 8.5 point favorites at home vs a decent GIANTS team with a backup QB Hostetler, I thought it would be a 27-10 type no doubt 49er win. Instead, the GIANTS defense stifled our offense only giving up 13 points. Our 49er defense was also STELLAR on that day except for the final drive when for some ungodly reason, they decided to play off coverage. I was planning on how to celebrate the 1st ever 3peat in the Super Bowl era only to be traumatized up until this moment to be honest. I cant even fathom rewatching that dam game.

i still see their f**king fake punt in my nightmares
JTO vs Philly a few years ago was lulz
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

1) Week 7, 2001, 49ers at Chicago Bears. We're up 28-9 halfway through the third quarter and just rolling on the Bears who like the Niners were the surprise team of the year after several crappy years. This was a huge statement game to show the NFL the Niners were back, baby! I really don't know how, but everything just suddenly went the Bears way and they managed to force overtime. On the very first play in overtime, Garcia's sends a dart to Owens right down the middle, which would have been a huge gain, except for the fact that Owens decided it was a terrific time to grow a nice fat pair of butterfingers and bobbles the easy catch right to Mike Brown who takes it all the way into the end zone.

This is one of my worst too! I was living in Chicago at the time, still in junior high. I always wore Niner gear to school and took a lot of s**t. We were killing them early in that game. Their QB Jim Miller goes down with an injury, and in comes the immortal Shane Matthews. He gives them a spark and they come back to win the game. Went back to school that Monday and never heard the end of it! Still to this day I get teased about that game from my buddies back home because they remember how pissed I was lol.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM ]
The game outside of the NFC title game losses and last years Super Bowl that really gets to me is the 1995 divisional game against GB. The niners were like 9 points favorite defending champs. This game started the struggles with Green Bay and prevented the 4th straight NFC title game with Dallas. The 1995 niners were just a weird team, at their peak they demolished Dallas in Dallas with Elvis at qb and at their worst lost to an expansion Carolina team. Also had a bad loss to Atlanta in week 17, that prevented home field. They had the number 1 offense and the number 2 defense. That game vs Green Bay still gets to me cause the niners were badly out schemed. Ole Pete Carroll had no answer farve and holmgren. I remember farve being like 12/13 for like 200 yards with 3 tds in the first half. Trestman offense faired no better, as young was harrassed all game and attempted what I still think is a playoff record 65 passes.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:42 AM ]

NFC championship vs Giants... The first I was a little kid and cried, the last I was pissed
NFC championship vs Falcons... Finally beat the packers, then Hearst got hurt
Super Bowl... Refs not throwing out that b***h DB, then the countless no calls in the favor of the ravens

Countless times I've yelled at the TV doe... Lol
1. 1990 NFC Title Game (The Roger Craig Game)
2. 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs vs Minnesota (The Anthony "Don't call me Chris" Carter Game)
3. 1992 NFC Title Game (1st of two Dallas Beat Downs)
4. 1993 NFC Title Game (Part 2)
5. 1983 NFC Title Game (The thwarted come back in D.C.)
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM ]
Personally for me , it was watching Steve Stenstrom play QB for us in 1999, there was NO threat of a passing game with him at QB ...after Steve Young went down, all hope was lost for us ...luckily Jeff Garcia developed into a solid QB ...but watching Steve Stenstrom play QB made me realize how spoiled we were for the longest time
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1. 1990 NFC Title Game (The Roger Craig Game)
2. 1987 NFC Divisional Playoffs vs Minnesota (The Chris Carter Game)
3. 1992 NFC Title Game (1st of two Dallas Beat Downs)
4. 1993 NFC Divisional Playoffs (Part 2)
5. 1983 NFC Title Game (The thwarted come back in D.C.)

two of the worst days in my entire life
It has to be the 2011 NFC championship and 2012 Super Bowl. Though I didn't get as emotional as I did during the mid to late 90's over losses when our dominance faded. I say the last two years because of the suckage we've endured for the past 8 years prior to finally rising from the ashes.
Share 49ersWebzone