There are 181 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. If Brook ducked lower they would of called spearing or leading with the helmet or whatever else they could arbitrarily concoct in order to call it a foul simply because the hit was hard.

Well, the new spin is that, "OK, the initial hit was to the chest area" but now "you can't slide your arm up into the neck/head area." LOL

The ref called it a "blow to the neck area" which is laughable enough (1st time in NFL history)...then everyone finally agrees that it actually was a hit to the Shoulder/chest with the new spin that even after the initial contact, one can't slide his arm up into the neck/head area. Apparently they don't take into consideration one player is trying to stay upright while the other is falling to the ground. If this a 16K penalty, QB or not, there is going to be a lot of money going to charities after every tackle via Merton Hanks! Does anyone even buy this explanation? For real?
Originally posted by supertruck97:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Prett obvious that brooks was making sure he went down since he didnt get a good grab on brees..but...

youre saying Brooks should have tapped him on the shoulder and politely ask Brees to lay on the ground. give me a break

Brees weighs as much as a elementary school girl and is why the hit looks worse then it was

Per NFL.com, Brees weighs 209 lbs and is around 6 feet tall.

Donte Whitner is listed at 5'10" and 208 Lbs. Does he weigh as much as an elementary school girl? How about 5'7" 199 lb Kendall Hunter? Or 5'9", 195 lb LaMichael James? Shoot, Frank Gore is only 5'9" and 217, only 8 pounds heavier than Brees.

Here are some others:

Joe Montana: 6'2", 200 Lbs
Steve Young: 6'2", 215 Lbs

Get outta here with the ridiculous weight/size foolishness. Its embarrassing....

lol..believing whats listed on the net to whats real...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. If Brook ducked lower they would of called spearing or leading with the helmet or whatever else they could arbitrarily concoct in order to call it a foul simply because the hit was hard.

Well, the new spin is that, "OK, the initial hit was to the chest area" but now "you can't slide your arm up into the neck/head area." LOL

The ref called it a "blow to the neck area" which is laughable enough (1st time in NFL history)...then everyone finally agrees that it actually was a hit to the Shoulder/chest with the new spin that even after the initial contact, one can't slide his arm up into the neck/head area. Apparently they don't take into consideration one player is trying to stay upright while the other is falling to the ground. If this a 16K penalty, QB or not, there is going to be a lot of money going to charities after every tackle via Merton Hanks! Does anyone even buy this explanation? For real?

No . . . I guess now if pass rushers deliver a blow on the high end of the legal "strike zone" they need the natural laws of physics to somehow be suspended.

Can Monday effing get here already? . . .

This is my problem with the way NFL is handling this. This new language from officialys starts creeping in to explain the call because it was a borderline case that did not actually conform to the letter of the rule. Brooks did not aggravate the initital contact in any way, likely was trying to keep Brees from hitting the ground too hard. Because he knows the league treats qbs with kid gloves. Brees looks to me like he cuts his chin on the whiplash from the initital hit on his own equipment.

Didn't matter. Got the flag anyway.

Now, just because we are complaining about the call doesn't mean that we are blaming the call for losing the game. Not everyone here is doing that. I'm not. The #1 reason we lost was lack of execution on offense, a couple mistakes on special teams. This call comes in a far distant 3rd.
Turns out Clays hit on Kap was reduced to 7k from 16. If Ahmad doesn't get a serious reduction in his fine I am done with this league.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

This is my problem with the way NFL is handling this. This new language from officialys starts creeping in to explain the call because it was a borderline case that did not actually conform to the letter of the rule. Brooks did not aggravate the initital contact in any way, likely was trying to keep Brees from hitting the ground too hard. Because he knows the league treats qbs with kid gloves. Brees looks to me like he cuts his chin on the whiplash from the initital hit on his own equipment.

Didn't matter. Got the flag anyway.

Now, just because we are complaining about the call doesn't mean that we are blaming the call for losing the game. Not everyone here is doing that. I'm not. The #1 reason we lost was lack of execution on offense, a couple mistakes on special teams. This call comes in a far distant 3rd.

Totally agree! It's the spin (by current or ex referees), back-tracking, to justify a judgement call. I'd have more respect for NFL if they would just come back and say, "After review, the initial blow was to the shoulder area by Brooks with his right arm draped over the top of the clavicle/left shoulder pad area. This is legal. One player tried to maintain his upright position after the blow while the other player fell to the ground causing forearm/chin/helmet contact. While we believe this was a legal play, officials are instructed to err on the side of caution and noted the forearm-to-neck/chin area contact. The play in real time appeared violent and from the officials perspective, with the contact after the hit, he had to make a judgement call. We issue no 16K fine."

I think some in here would still say, "That's B.S...it cost us the game!." But in the end, I think after a day or two, most would understand the ref was put in a precarious position and made a call that err on the side of QB protection. I would think most could not only understand the call itself and would not only blame it more on the rule itself (which is flawed b/c it doesn't take into account the ENTIRE play - physics, what the offensive player does, intentions, etc.) BUT maintain respect for NFL (and the game) b/c they didn't insult every NFL defensive player or the common fan's IQ. They could have even smoothed it over and said that plays like this will be reviewed in the off season.

If the NFL can issue a formal apology to the SeaHawks in their Superbowl loss, why not the Niners (for the 3rd straight year now)? These kinds of moves are what preserve the integrity of the game for all. It's a human game officiated by humans. They make mistakes or in this case, have to make a judgement calls in real-time to the best of their ability based on how the rule is written/interpreted. THAT is understandable. The spin by the NFL and it's ex-officials is not!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Turns out Clays hit on Kap was reduced to 7k from 16. If Ahmad doesn't get a serious reduction in his fine I am done with this league.

The one I feel worse for yet, is Ian Williams. Dude worked his ASS off coming up from the PS to a starting role, gets cheap-shotted by a Seahawk and is done for the year on I.R. and b/c that play is "legal" gets no penalty, fine or repurcussions. How about AT LEAST an apology from the player for destroying his livlihood/dreams?

The only thing that was hurt here was Brees lip d/t his OWN helmet from whip-lash. Let's be real here, with the extra shove from the OT, Brooks could have, literally, killed Brees.

the nfl is a mess. What clay did was intentional an unnecessary. What brooks did was unintentional. Whatever! I'm not even watching the nfl no more except for a niner game.

Yup. They made up their own interpretation of the rule after the fact because they knew the call was blown. They are just trying to save face. When this many people are up in arms, inclusing former and current players, the NFL had to pull that gobble gobble s**t out of their ass.
Looks like Goldielocks won his appeal and the fine was reduced.....f**k you NFL once again. People who don't match their socks get heavier fines then flying clotheslines to the QB 2 yards out of bounds after weeks of promising to do so....

GOD DAMN!

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?w=1dh7s&appsrc=sc&storyId=10012368&i=
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]

Looks like Goldielocks won his appeal and the fine was reduced.....f**k you NFL once again. People who don't match their socks get heavier fines then flying clotheslines to the QB 2 yards out of bounds after weeks of promising to do so....

GOD DAMN!

Goodell is the worst thing that could have happened to the NFL.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

GOD DAMN!

You got to be fist f**king me. From the article on the main page saying Brooks doesn't want anyones money. So let me get this straight (I don't remember the Brooks hit on Rodgers). But Clay appeals his fine of an obvious late hit out of bounds, something that the NFL is truly trying to get out of the game, and gets it reduced to 7k. Yet Brooks doesn't?

This league is beyond gone.

Brooks said he will appeal the fine on Tuesday. He lost an appeal of a $12,750 fine earlier this season after he was called for a late hit against Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

GOD DAMN!

You got to be fist f**king me. From the article on the main page saying Brooks doesn't want anyones money. So let me get this straight (I don't remember the Brooks hit on Rodgers). But Clay appeals his fine of an obvious late hit out of bounds, something that the NFL is truly trying to get out of the game, and gets it reduced to 7k. Yet Brooks doesn't?

Brooks said he will appeal the fine on Tuesday. He lost an appeal of a $12,750 fine earlier this season after he was called for a late hit against Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Sounds racist.
Sounds racist.

QFT!

GOD DAMN!

Sounds racist.

Sadly this doesn't sound facetious
Share 49ersWebzone