LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Can Someone Explain How It Wasn't a Penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
I just don't see how this is not a penalty? The initial hit was fine, but the fact that his arms slid up to the neck and head(even a facemask) make this 100% a penalty. I just see so many people blaming the refs when I think it's the correct call.

This looks like a clean hit here. But...

How is this not a penalty? He gets part the facemask and clearly has his hand right on the neck and head area. He also somewhat forces the head down. Even if it was "close" refs are going to call this.

I'm not trying to be anti 49ers here but I don't understand all the complaining on this. I personally feel it was the right call. This is something you cannot do period refs are pretty much forced to call this weather he actually got the head and neck... Especially with the name Brees on the back.

We had many other chances to win this game. I just don't feel the refs had anything to do with the loss.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM ]
I think it was very borderline. Many will argue that he hit him in his upper chest. He doesn't touch the neck until after Brees is falling to the ground (and that's just the byproduct of Brees falling to the ground). I'm sure a lot of players make contact to the header/neck as the QB is falling to the ground.

Anyway, I'm not up in arms about it. It was a close call. Refs are instructed to err on the side of player safety, so it shouldn't be a surprise that a borderline call didn't go our way.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by theduke85:
I think it was very borderline. Many will argue that he hit him in his upper chest. He doesn't touch the neck until after Brees is falling to the ground (and that's just the byproduct of Brees falling to the ground). I'm sure a lot of players make contact to the header/neck as the QB is falling to the ground.

Anyway, I'm not up in arms about it. It was a close call. Refs are instructed to err on the side of player safety, so it shouldn't be a surprise that a borderline call didn't go our way.

Exactly. I originally posted it was 100% a foul, but after watching it more and more it is borderline as you said. Still, as both of us also said, refs are instructed to make this call.
His forearm hit the upper chest. If he did really hit the neck, it wouldnt be flying out like it did when Brooks smashed him.

Not a penalty.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if initial contact was at the neck, breese would be dead right now.
We did have many other chances to win this game...but that penalty changed the game and it pissed me off all night yesterday as it looks less and less like a penalty every time I see it. He didn't go helmet to helmet, didn't get his facemask, didn't clothesline him...he just hit an elite QB too hard in NO.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
from the PL

I think the penalty/non-penalty is a cop out. Our offense was lackluster once again. Say we recovered the fumble and no penalty is called, doesn't mean we run the clock out. The way our offense looked, it would have been more than likely a 3 and punt. Who knows how it would have ended then. If the Saints come down and score after a 3 and punt, what excuse are we using then? We were gifted that game by Saints turnovers. Our less than 200 yards of offense is what more people should be worried about.
  • Liono
I agree with you Travisty. Though it was a stupid, potentially game deciding call and people have a right to be pissed about it.

I support a rule that prevents a defender from wrapping their arms around a players neck, especially a defenseless one like a QB in the pocket. But if you start around the shoulders, and the player slides down so you just make a little bit of content on top of the shoulders, that shouldn't be penalty. What is to stop a QB from ducking down every time to draw a penalty?

The f**king NFL should just outlaw tackling the QB at all, and have them be down at the first touch.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 11OnDaField1NMyHeart:
from the PL

its 100% a penalty. The NFL wants any hit around the head or neck area eliminated from the game.

If things were turned around and that hit happened on Kaep, and NO penalty was called, Harbaugh would actually lose his mind and prob he in the hospital right now.

I dont blame Brooks though as he is maybe our best player on defense. The window to hit a QB legally is so small these days, i wouldnt want to be a defensive player.
Sorry that's a crappy call. How many times have you seen Smith or Kaep get their helmets turned side ways and it isn't called? That was a game changer and the refs took it away. There was no helmet to helmet no face mask, no cheap shot, just a hard hit and they call it.... BS! Lets get some of the highlights from the NFL archive and I'll show you much worse that are now shown every day with NFL pride in the Hall of Fame. Maybe we should start taking trophies and busts away for players and teams that made that same hit and got away with it!
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
its 100% a penalty. The NFL wants any hit around the head or neck area eliminated from the game.

If things were turned around and that hit happened on Kaep, and NO penalty was called, Harbaugh would actually lose his mind and prob he in the hospital right now.

I dont blame Brooks though as he is maybe our best player on defense. The window to hit a QB legally is so small these days, i wouldnt want to be a defensive player.

It wouldnt happen because the defender would have to jump up to clothesline Kap.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He hit him on the clavicle area, but he then drove him to the ground around the neck. Happened real fast, tough call. It was probably the right call considering it was the qb.
Saints fan here. Not here to troll. Your D played its butt off. In regards to the hit on Brees, yes it was a penalty. It shouldn't have come down to a fg if our idiot backup db can just hold onto the ball to score a td. What surprised me was how well the Saints D controlled the line of scrimmage and kept the running game in check. Please beat the sea chickens at home. I still think you guys will get one of the wild card spots. Hope you guys have strong finish free from injuries.
Share 49ersWebzone