There are 151 users in the forums

Kap or playcalling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kap or playcalling?

I put this loss on coaching staff, between the horrible challenges and poor time out management, and predictable play calling. After staring at my TV in disbelief at the 2nd challenge I knew right then the team was gonna be flying home disappointed. Offense is embarrassing this year and I am heart broken this evening. I know we are better than this.
How come all the people that keep excusing Kap don't address the fact that he has two plays to choose from at his disposal on every play and several times has checked into a bad one?
Originally posted by biggiep:
How come all the people that keep excusing Kap don't address the fact that he has two plays to choose from at his disposal on every play and several times has checked into a bad one?

If you have a choice of AIDS or a bullet in your head is there really a correct choice?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
I put this loss on coaching staff, between the horrible challenges and poor time out management, and predictable play calling. After staring at my TV in disbelief at the 2nd challenge I knew right then the team was gonna be flying home disappointed. Offense is embarrassing this year and I am heart broken this evening. I know we are better than this.

I was more frustrated last week. When we left 2 mins on the clock in the 4th quarter for Brees, I knew it was over. I didn't set myself up for disappointment this week and will have to do that the rest of the season. With this offense, you just don't know anymore even against the bad teams. The Rams beat up the Colts a couple weeks ago and they have a better offense than the niners at this point.

If we learned anything, there was a reason why the niners went after Manning in the offseason. I bet when manning chose the Broncos, Balke/Harbaugh were bummed. I think the niners making it to the SB last year was a lucky straw for us. But whats happening now is reality and its going to take time for Kaep and/or this coaching staff to get their sh*t together. You gotta remember, last season.....most of those wins were from Alex. Could Kaep have gotten to the SB all by himself last year.....I doubt it.

Perhaps because Kaep is routinely choosing between 2 terrible play calls. Run Gore into 8-9 guys or attempt to throw the ball with some terrible route concepts. It also doesn't help that Kaep has to check out of the play with only 4 seconds left on the clock. Keep in mind the Niners seem to line up with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock routinely. After all the standard shifts, Kaep has to make the audible with about 4 seconds left. After the audible he has no time to read the defense after they make their adjustments. That is a coaching issue, not a player issue.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:13 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Really?!?!? its his audible thats the cause for concern?

Who knows just how chitty his two options are? Who knows what play's he is checking into? How do you know he has checked into a bad play? Do you know what the other call was?

Just the fact that they still struggle to get the playcall in on time after almost 3 seasons tells me that the issue starts and ends largely with the coaching staff.
Kaepernick is miserable at getting the play in and making adjustments at the LOS. Watche teams like NO and Den. They're in 3 and 4 WR sets, setting frequent picks, quick outs, quick slants, crossing routes. These are easy reads and quick-hit plays that really pressures a defense. That's what we need to do. Kap looked good on the late drive with quick passes.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

Perhaps because Kaep is routinely choosing between 2 terrible play calls. Run Gore into 8-9 guys or attempt to throw the ball with some terrible route concepts. It also doesn't help that Kaep has to check out of the play with only 3 seconds left on the clock. Keep in mind the Niners seem to line up with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock routinely. After all the standard shifts Kaep has to make the audible with about 4 seconds left. After the audible he has no time to read the defense after they make their adjustments. That is a coaching issue, not a player issue.

This just tells you that he probably doesn't understand defenses to well just yet. Even if he has 2 plays at his disposal, like the mannings/bradies/brees, they have audibles of their own with certain players at the line. Clearly Kaep doesn't have that with Boldin, Manningham, or Davis. Maybe with Crabs. Last year when Kaep escaped the pocket, Crabs always knew where to go to bail Kaep out. Kaep does not have that this year.
Originally posted by strickac:
Kaepernick is miserable at getting the play in and making adjustments at the LOS. Watche teams like NO and Den. They're in 3 and 4 WR sets, setting frequent picks, quick outs, quick slants, crossing routes. These are easy reads and quick-hit plays that really pressures a defense. That's what we need to do. Kap looked good on the late drive with quick passes.
Kaepernick is waiting for the play call from Roman/Harbaugh. It's not his fault Roman is too busy stuffing his face with corn dogs to get the play call out in a timely manner.

Originally posted by Baldie:
I was more frustrated last week. When we left 2 mins on the clock in the 4th quarter for Brees, I knew it was over. I didn't set myself up for disappointment this week and will have to do that the rest of the season. With this offense, you just don't know anymore even against the bad teams. The Rams beat up the Colts a couple weeks ago and they have a better offense than the niners at this point.

If we learned anything, there was a reason why the niners went after Manning in the offseason. I bet when manning chose the Broncos, Balke/Harbaugh were bummed. I think the niners making it to the SB last year was a lucky straw for us. But whats happening now is reality and its going to take time for Kaep and/or this coaching staff to get their sh*t together. You gotta remember, last season.....most of those wins were from Alex. Could Kaep have gotten to the SB all by himself last year.....I doubt it.

The reality is that he did. The Green Bay game, the Atlanta game, even in the Baltimore game, he really carried the team. The difference between now and then? He doesn't have the swagger or the confidence he had, the read option isn't working and the offense still looks remarkably unpredictable, much as it was in 2012 and 2011, its like people are forgetting how many terrible games this offense had, even with Smith at QB, the same issues people are seeing now, were present back then too, just covered up by winning games due to superior defensive performance or whatever.
This just tells you that he probably doesn't understand defenses to well just yet. Even if he has 2 plays at his disposal, like the mannings/bradies/brees, they have audibles of their own with certain players at the line. Clearly Kaep doesn't have that with Boldin, Manningham, or Davis. Maybe with Crabs. Last year when Kaep escaped the pocket, Crabs always knew where to go to bail Kaep out. Kaep does not have that this year.

He doesn't have anyone to bail him out, today on two scrambles he was looking downfield and two of his receivers were blocking, the 49ers have run the "designated receiver" b******t into the ground, when they aren't able to get the ball to the "designated receiver", the entire play falls apart.

The mental judo involved in this post is elite level...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The reality is that he did. The Green Bay game, the Atlanta game, even in the Baltimore game, he really carried the team. The difference between now and then? He doesn't have the swagger or the confidence he had, the read option isn't working and the offense still looks remarkably unpredictable, much as it was in 2012 and 2011, its like people are forgetting how many terrible games this offense had, even with Smith at QB, the same issues people are seeing now, were present back then too, just covered up by winning games due to superior defensive performance or whatever.

he made roman look better than he actually was. the same problems have always been there. if we dig up old alex threads its the same stuff people are complaining about.

that's why i don't listen to any of the nonsense.

get rid of roman or we have no chance because he boo boo's in the bed every time we need him..

every

single

time
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He doesn't have anyone to bail him out, today on two scrambles he was looking downfield and two of his receivers were blocking, the 49ers have run the "designated receiver" b******t into the ground, when they aren't able to get the ball to the "designated receiver", the entire play falls apart.

exactly
Share 49ersWebzone