LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin - Another Guy Getting The Blame

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Well, Baldwin got his opportunity and blew it. Didn't get separation all game long. The one time he could have made a play he failed to make the catch. He sucks, always has sucked, always will suck, and I never want to hear anyone complain about how he doesn't get opportunities. He doesn't earn them.

Same could be said for McDonald. Kap hit him right in the hands again, and he let a defender out-muscle him again.

For as bad as people say Kap is playing, these guys are doing NOTHING to help. Frank Gore dropped what would have been the biggest play of the game for the offense, and there was not anyone within ten yards of him.

Agree. A ton of missed opportunities today. Kap had his struggles, but his teammates didn't do him any favors.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Can't lay this one at the feet of Baldwin, but I can understand whyu Kaep doesn't have total trust in him.

The fact that he didn't know a ball was thrown in his direction during a crucial drive against the Saints is inexcusable. You're an NFL receiver. You play like you're getting the ball on every single pass play. If you can't go into each passing play with that kind of a mindset? It's time to play a different wide receiver.

what are you even talking about? Are you saying Baldwin was running lazy routes or are you referring to the 1 play that we called 40 yard bomb facing 3rd and 10? Kaepernick let that ball way to early because of pressure and it went out of bounds anyway. Had Baldwin turned around high pointed the ball he would've just been pushed out of bounds or gone out on his own power.

He's been on this team for 3 months now if Kaepernick doesn't have chemistry with him then it is both the fault of the QB and WR and the play calling not allowing Kaepernick to get into a rthym with any of his WRs.

The ball did NOT go out of bounds and if Baldwin is running routes that forces him out of bounds that is BALDWIN'S fault, not Kaep's. Baldwin had two GOLDEN opportunities to make an impact during yesterday's game and failed. I can excuse the bobble in the end zone because no receiver is perfect and isn't going to snag every ball thrown in his direction.

Gore's failure to catch that lob from Kaep that would have probably led to another score is a perfect example of this.

But to not even realize that a pass has been lobbed in his direction, desperation or not, is inexcusable. The best wide receivers in this game made a living at converting desperation plays. Baldwin should have known that ball was coming.

Short and sweet? He didn't. Not sure what Harbs will do about this, but Baldwin better have another great week of practice!
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM ]
Baldwin got his 3 passes (big time for us). And of course, all 3 are very low % passes. No issue on the TD. That was a very nice TD...that's a rule-issue. How the league expects a ball not to move a little on his chest when a 230 pound WR lands on his back on the ground is a joke-rule. Then, AFTER a T.O. CK launches a 40 bomb (no issue with the call actually - we NEVER take deep shots) in 1on1 coverage but he rainbows it so far in air, it looks like Baldwin lost it in the lights. After the play, you see CK pointing to himself as it was "my fault." I take it Baldwin was not the AR on that play either. I also didn't see CK audible to him.

We should use him on a quick slant, post pattern, etc. (where he can use his body, time jumps and adjust better)...these stupid long bomb sideline routes rarely work for ANY team. They have to be the lowest % play on the field.
Embarrassing outing by another 49ers WR. SHOCKING! Every single one of our WR's outside of Boldin are a disgrace to the position. I'm not counting Crabtree for obvious reasons but even Crabtree is nothing more than a younger version of Boldin only smaller. We have a bunch of slow possession receivers and until we get a downfield threat outside of the TE position we're screwed. Teams will continue to deploy loaded fronts against the 49ers because they've shown that their qb and line are overwhelmed by it and cannot overcome it.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Well, Baldwin got his opportunity and blew it. Didn't get separation all game long. The one time he could have made a play he failed to make the catch. He sucks, always has sucked, always will suck, and I never want to hear anyone complain about how he doesn't get opportunities. He doesn't earn them.

Same could be said for McDonald. Kap hit him right in the hands again, and he let a defender out-muscle him again.

For as bad as people say Kap is playing, these guys are doing NOTHING to help. Frank Gore dropped what would have been the biggest play of the game for the offense, and there was not anyone within ten yards of him.

But do you know what good OC's and QB's do? They come RIGHT back to them. I saw this about 3 different times in 3 different games yesterday. We expect these guys to get THREE effing passes a game and make the BIG PLAY. I'm sorry, that is not how the real football world works. Some like Boldin can walk out on the field and catch everything...others need to get into a little rhythm. Get in the flow of the game...no excuse of course, just a reality.
They missed a PI call on one of the plays up the sideline but i like the fact we actually attempted that pass. We must continue to take those shots up the sideline to someone other than Vernon
[ Edited by Squidp on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Embarrassing outing by another 49ers WR. SHOCKING! Every single one of our WR's outside of Boldin are a disgrace to the position. I'm not counting Crabtree for obvious reasons but even Crabtree is nothing more than a younger version of Boldin only smaller. We have a bunch of slow possession receivers and until we get a downfield threat outside of the TE position we're screwed. Teams will continue to deploy loaded fronts against the 49ers because they've shown that their qb and line are overwhelmed by it and cannot overcome it.

Good post. Defenses are all sitting on all slants, outs, & comeback routes b/c nobody on this offense has speed to beat them deep. This is where mot replacing Moss with another speedster hurts. Moss wasn't the hreayest but other teams respected his speed and played off.

Aa far as Baldwin we are seeing why he was traded for another bust
Originally posted by Squidp:
They missed a PI call on one of the plays up the sideline but i like the fact we actually attempted that pass. We must continue to take those shots up the sideline to someone other than Vernon

That's true....CB pulled down his jersey off his shoulder and didn't even get the call. Karma was bad for that CB though so I'll leave it at that. Poor guy...
Originally posted by lamontb:

Good post. Defenses are all sitting on all slants, outs, & comeback routes b/c nobody on this offense has speed to beat them deep. This is where mot replacing Moss with another speedster hurts. Moss wasn't the hreayest but other teams respected his speed and played off.

Aa far as Baldwin we are seeing why he was traded for another bust

You are making that jump after 3 passes? S/h gotten a P.I. and a TD and CK blew the pass to Baldwin (go watch CK coming to the sideline pointing to himself). Should we cut Manningham too? Moore was brought in to be our speedster but we never used him...ever. Yesterday was the 2nd time all year we even attempted a deep bomb but they are always very low % plays; not post patterns, deep crossing routes, etc. They are ALWAYS bombs right down the sideline. CB's just run them out of bounds, CK throws it out of bombs, air mails it 90 yards up in the sky into the lights, etc.

That said, no doubt, we need some outside speed on this team...still not sure HaRoMan would use him though. I don't even know if CK "can" complete a bomb to be honest.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Baldwin got his 3 passes (big time for us). And of course, all 3 are very low % passes. No issue on the TD. That was a very nice TD...that's a rule-issue. How the league expects a ball not to move a little on his chest when a 230 pound WR lands on his back on the ground is a joke-rule. Then, AFTER a T.O. CK launches a 40 bomb (no issue with the call actually - we NEVER take deep shots) in 1on1 coverage but he rainbows it so far in air, it looks like Baldwin lost it in the lights. After the play, you see CK pointing to himself as it was "my fault." I take it Baldwin was not the AR on that play either. I also didn't see CK audible to him.

We should use him on a quick slant, post pattern, etc. (where he can use his body, time jumps and adjust better)...these stupid long bomb sideline routes rarely work for ANY team. They have to be the lowest % play on the field.

What are these slants and post patterns you speak of? No, no, no...only straight-line routes are allowed, either 40 yards downfield, usually on the sideline, or compressed within a 10-yd box. But posts, screens...and slants, crossing routes, rubs, square-in's, "east-west" routes that force lateral pursuit, can cause confusion, give a receiver a chance at YAC, and can usually be accomplished with quicker 3- and 5-step drops? Lord Roman will have none such tomfoolery.

• thl408
I still don't understand why the Baldwin catch in the endzone was reviewed and ruled incomplete. He caught the ball, made a football move, and dragged his toes to get both feet in bounds. At this point, it is a TD catch. Then when he hit the ground, the ball came out.
Originally posted by NCommand:
You are making that jump after 3 passes? S/h gotten a P.I. and a TD and CK blew the pass to Baldwin (go watch CK coming to the sideline pointing to himself). Should we cut Manningham too? Moore was brought in to be our speedster but we never used him...ever. Yesterday was the 2nd time all year we even attempted a deep bomb but they are always very low % plays; not post patterns, deep crossing routes, etc. They are ALWAYS bombs right down the sideline. CB's just run them out of bounds, CK throws it out of bombs, air mails it 90 yards up in the sky into the lights, etc.

That said, no doubt, we need some outside speed on this team...still not sure HaRoMan would use him though. I don't even know if CK "can" complete a bomb to be honest.

No NC I'm making that jump after three seasons and two teams with the same results. I don't need to see Baldwin get more opportunities to figure out that he's just not very good. He's definitely not the size speed guy we're missing. I don't care how many passes he gets thrown to him. Why is a guy that size getting beat so badly at the line of scrimmage? Like the rest of the WR's on this roster he has no speed. DB's can afford to take the risk and jam our WR's at will because they know if they get beat they can easily recover. Also, this guy has a vertical that's off the charts yet every time the ball is in the air he looks lost. What good is his athletic attributes if he constantly gets beat at the line and can't play the ball in the air to save his life?

Kaepernick is bad. The WR's are bad. The offensive line can't pass block and the play calling hasn't helped. All of these issues are tied together. All these areas need to be fixed or be replaced all together. As one area fails they all fail.
No NC I'm making that jump after three seasons and two teams with the same results. I don't need to see Baldwin get more opportunities to figure out that he's just not very good. He's definitely not the size speed guy we're missing. I don't care how many passes he gets thrown to him. Why is a guy that size getting beat so badly at the line of scrimmage? Like the rest of the WR's on this roster he has no speed. DB's can afford to take the risk and jam our WR's at will because they know if they get beat they can easily recover. Also, this guy has a vertical that's off the charts yet every time the ball is in the air he looks lost. What good is his athletic attributes if he constantly gets beat at the line and can't play the ball in the air to save his life?

Kaepernick is bad. The WR's are bad. The offensive line can't pass block and the play calling hasn't helped. All of these issues are tied together. All these areas need to be fixed or be replaced all together. As one area fails they all fail.

Cosign
Originally posted by thl408:
I still don't understand why the Baldwin catch in the endzone was reviewed and ruled incomplete. He caught the ball, made a football move, and dragged his toes to get both feet in bounds. At this point, it is a TD catch. Then when he hit the ground, the ball came out.

I don't either...and he never once lost possession of the ball...it moved once he hit the ground but he never lost it. They consider it incomplete b/c he didn't complete the catch through the plays entirety. Apparently, he is supposed to velcro the ball to his chest, get up, do 40 jumping jacks, do a sprint up the stadium stairs and come back all w/o the ball ever moving.

The funny thing is, if that TD would have been allowed, he's be the only WR not named VD or Boldin to catch one this season. LOL
Originally posted by lamontb:

Cosign

Really guys? 2 years at KC and 6 throws here?

Give the guy a chance under a real OC and we might see some different results than the 3 he is getting a game now with probably the lowest % probabillity throws in the NFL. I'm not ready to right anyone off until we see a real pro offense/coaching and at least ONE receiver that is developed here in SF since T.O.
Share 49ersWebzone