There are 148 users in the forums

No need to panic: 49ers will be fine

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Niners99:
What you need to remember is, Colin Kaepernick just made his 19th career start. Hes still a baby. The fact that he came out of the gate on fire is distracting everyone from realize that hes still learning, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Its all a matter of perspective. If Alex Smith had been let go before the 2012 season, and Kap was given the job in week 1 of last season and progressed like a rookie starter, nobody would be upset right now. Its only because he looked like a top 5 QB with nerves of steel while leading us to a SB that he now looks terrible by comparison.

This time last year, nobody even knew Kap was anything special. He was just a wildcat/read option QB who we used in trick plays. We had no idea if he could even play QB in the NFL. He was almost a flyer.

He came in with SUCH a bang, and exceeded expectations SO greatly, that we all ended up assuming he skipped rookie mistakes and growing pains.

Now hes showing signs of being a young QB, and everyone is freaking out that hes not the immediate HOFer we thought. Just think of how good he COULD be, or WILL be in the future with more seasons under his belt. More throws, more reps with Harbaugh and his offense, seeing NFL defenses more, etc. Hes a smart guy. He scored a 37 on his Wonderlic. He isnt Michael Vick. He understands how to read defenses, dissect coverages, and learn an NFL offense. He just needs the reps, thats all.

The vast majority of young QB take way, WAY longer to reach this point than 19 starts. He faced arguably the best front 7 in the NFC this week, and his OL didnt protect him. Its being extremely harsh to blame him for not having a good game. Especially when he lost VD in the 2nd. VD makes our offense work. Hes a fantastic blocker, a legit deep threat, a nightmare matchup, and he spreads the coverage out.

Kap is going to be fine, just have some patience.

Great take bud. Refreshing to see this in the middle of all the doom and gloom.

Well stated, overall, Niners99. Strongly agree with you on the bolded.

Losing VD was huge. The three games in which the 49ers passing offense looked like junk was versus SEA, IND, and CAR. No big passing plays in these games. All these games were missing VD, in full, or in portions. For anyone to dismiss this is underestimating VD, and what kind of matchup problems he causes defenses.
For whatever reason, Iupati has sucked this year, and so has Goodwin. Seems like Staley and Boone are the only guys out there doing their job.

We need Crabtree back in the worst way. We can then send out Crabtree, VD, Boldin, and Manningham, and give Kap 4 different guys that he trusts to throw the ball to. Kap has looked his worst in games when VD was down. If VD isnt there to open things up, the opposing D just bottles up Boldin, and theres nowhere to go. Nobody else can get open.

We relied WAY too heavily on Manningham today in the 2nd half. He was supposed to get eased back in, but it seems like he ended up having to carry the load in the 2nd half.

I cant help but think we probably win this game if Vernon Davis was running that deep route that Vance McDonald couldnt hang on to. Kap put that ball on the money, and McDonald didnt have the hand strength to keep a hold on it after his arms were contacted. I think VD brings that ball in, and we at very least get the 4th FG we needed to win the game.
Originally posted by Niners99:
For whatever reason, Iupati has sucked this year, and so has Goodwin. Seems like Staley and Boone are the only guys out there doing their job.

We need Crabtree back in the worst way. We can then send out Crabtree, VD, Boldin, and Manningham, and give Kap 4 different guys that he trusts to throw the ball to. Kap has looked his worst in games when VD was down. If VD isnt there to open things up, the opposing D just bottles up Boldin, and theres nowhere to go. Nobody else can get open.

We relied WAY too heavily on Manningham today in the 2nd half. He was supposed to get eased back in, but it seems like he ended up having to carry the load in the 2nd half.

I cant help but think we probably win this game if Vernon Davis was running that deep route that Vance McDonald couldnt hang on to. Kap put that ball on the money, and McDonald didnt have the hand strength to keep a hold on it after his arms were contacted. I think VD brings that ball in, and we at very least get the 4th FG we needed to win the game.

Iupati clearly is dealing with his shoulder injury, I don't know what Goodwin's excuse is but I expect he's gone for good after the season.
the curse of T.O. continues. and I think Candlestick is pissed at the niners for leaving it for santa clara. this year has been f**king tragic. ive never seen so many injuries and mishaps for this team in years. 5 injuries today and we still cant get more than one receiving talent on the field at a time. what. the. f**k.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
the curse of T.O. continues. and I think Candlestick is pissed at the niners for leaving it for santa clara. this year has been f**king tragic. ive never seen so many injuries and mishaps for this team in years. 5 injuries today and we still cant get more than one receiving talent on the field at a time. what. the. f**k.

Its been worse...

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

We've had our share of injuries. But we haven't lost a starter this season long term to an injury other than Ian Williams. When you look at it that way I'll say we've been fortunate.
Originally posted by Hopper:
We've had our share of injuries. But we haven't lost a starter this season long term to an injury other than Ian Williams. When you look at it that way I'll say we've been fortunate.

You act like losing Culliver and Crabtree wasn't bad enough.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You act like losing Culliver and Crabtree wasn't bad enough.
Culliver wasn't a starter which is why I didn't include him and Crabs injury was months before the season.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
It all starts up front.
Goodwin has played sub-par 6 out of the 9 games we've played. Iupati has played sub-par to garbage all season. He's been pretty banged up though...
Boone is having a very solid season and Staley is alright as well. Anthony Davis was shaky to begin the season but he's settled back into form...
Without the interior being solid in pass protection, Kaep is going to continue to struggle to have time to progress through his reads... It won't matter if Crab comes back 100% or not...
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by biggiep:
I've been making excuses for Kaepernick throughout this entire season to anyone who asked. His passing yards are down because all they've needed to do is run! His receivers are terrible! Etc. etc.

This game is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The fact is Kaepernick hasn't done anything for this team since Week 1. Have we really been crying that Kaep hasn't had Boldin, Davis, Crabtree AND Manningham all to throw to? When people like Brees and Brady can turn no-name receivers into stars? To make it seem like Kaep can only be expected to succeed if he has a 1000 yd receiver as his third receiving target is making it too easy.

Kaep really needed to step up this game and he failed with SO MANY chances. All the defense needed him to do was score 3 points in the second half and he couldn't do it. Even career backups like Tolzein, Hoyer, Thad Lewis can get more than 91 passing yards. Kaep looks like a deer in headlights under any kind of pressure and the dude is just not ready to start. The team should've opened their wallets bigger for Peyton Manning and let Kaep back him up for a few years. The team is built to win NOW and does not have time to screw around and wait for Kaepernick to grow up.

Yeah, Brady and Brees do that all on their own, its not like they have brilliant talented offensive minds that call a very competent and explosive passing offense and scheme to get guys open.

Put Roman in New Orleans, bring Payton to the 49ers and I guarantee that neither QB looks like the same player. Scheme plays a huge role in it and this team's BS conservative passing schemes don't work in the NFL, plain and simple. Let me correct that, they work against inferior defenses, they don't work against top defenses such as Seattle, Carolina and others. This is hardly just a Kaepernick issue, I saw these same things pop up when Alex was the QB, the same irregular playcalling, the lack of in-game offensive adjustments, the inability to target a defense's weaknesses with precision, this is nothing new.

Get rid of Kaepernick, bring in another QB, the offense won't change one damn bit. Just as like this coaching staff wasn't able to properly utilize Ted Ginn but Carolina was, I guarantee Kaepernick would be a far better player on another team with more cohesive offensive playcalling.

This is the worst, most putrid offensive playcalling I've seen since Jim Hostler, it is getting to the point where perhaps the 49ers should call up someone like Ted Tollner and have him sit up in the booth with Roman, because nothing about the passing offense reminds me of an NFL offense in anyway.

I'm getting tired of quoting you for agreement

The sorry fact is, as outlined many times by Phoenix, we scheme to get one guy open. That guy is either VD or Boldin. Every other receiver is either running decoy with their head turned from the QB or blocking, they are not definitive receiving targets.

Our offense was good last year because Moss was a deep threat clearing out defenders, that's why he complained about his role. He didn't complain because he wasn't getting thrown to in a QB read offense, he complained because on most calls he was never even considered an option and his sole role was to take defenders away from the designated receiver.

The reason our pass offense is sucking, and as Ginn's better performance with Carolina has shown, is because defenses are adjusting and they know the ball is going to either Vernon or Boldin, they are now understanding who the designated receiver is. Now add to this the fact that our o-line is great at run blocking but terrible at pass blocking, and it makes the QB look like hot garbage when the other team has us figured out.

Essentially our passing woes come down to this:

1) We scheme to get one receiver open. That designated receiver is covered.
2) No other receiver is open or looking at the right time for a catch because they are running decoy routes as instructed or they are blocking.
3) Our O line pass protection is sub par and the QB is coming under pressure before there are any receiving options down field.

That's exactly what we saw last night. Vernon was injured, Boldin is obviously our only passing outlet with Mario rusty. Boldin is getting covered, we've no deep threat as VD is out and Moss is not on the team. The O-line is giving up sacks to a 3 man rush and Kaep is running for his life hoping that someone get's open after running their decoy route, but because Boldin is the designated receiver, Kaep''s on the run to his side of the field hoping he gets open or trying to force it into coverage. That's exactly what happened on the INT at the end of the game.

People are bashing on Kaep, as they bashed on Smith, and the real culprit is the incredibly shoddy, naive, one-trick pony passing offense we are running.

Originally posted by Hopper:
Culliver wasn't a starter which is why I didn't include him and Crabs injury was months before the season.

He might as well have been, he played almost 800 total snaps last season.
Originally posted by SaksV:
It all starts up front.
Goodwin has played sub-par 6 out of the 9 games we've played. Iupati has played sub-par to garbage all season. He's been pretty banged up though...
Boone is having a very solid season and Staley is alright as well. Anthony Davis was shaky to begin the season but he's settled back into form...
Without the interior being solid in pass protection, Kaep is going to continue to struggle to have time to progress through his reads... It won't matter if Crab comes back 100% or not...

Goodwin has been terrible, just plain bad, no way around it. At least Iupati has the injury excuse to fall back on,Goodwin....I don't know what his deal is.
I think we basically lost the division today, Today's game is very winnable and we blew it mostly offense. We have some tough games left. I think Seahawks can win most of their games just the way they are playing, Based on what kap did today it would be hard for us to beat the Seahawks even at home. I just got no confidence in him right now especially if we are behind.
I don't know why we are getting our hopes up over Wright and Carradine. We were saying the same crap about Manningham, "Manningham is coming back, offense will be better". LOL NOPE! Still suck! Kaepernick is trash and overrated, he needs to improve his game and start watching his own film because he is set in his ways and looks like he's having Michael Vick syndrome.

Niners will probably be 6th seed in the playoffs if we are lucky, and we will lose in the first round if we get there. Just my opinion. This team looks NOTHING like a superbowl contender.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
He might as well have been, he played almost 800 total snaps last season.

I was talking about injuries exclusively to starters during this season. I'm not going to point that out again.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone