There are 177 users in the forums

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the real problem with this offensive offense?

Originally posted by SofaKing:

SofaKing, I'm not sure where you're coming from. My post was giving further thought to Phoenix's post I included regarding the offense. What I'm getting at here is sometimes over-complexity can lead to not everyone being on the same page, errors, overthinking things (especially if you have a younger QB). A lot of "kill-kill" is going on and it makes me wonder (and worry every time the playclock gets closer to zero - need to one day quit spending our TOs because of this). My post is in no way a slam on Kap - every young QB is going to have games like today (look at Luck's game today) but it's how they bounce back and how the coaching staff does what it can to put the QB into the best position to succeed. I have full confidence in Harbaugh and co. that this will happen.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by sacleads:
It's sad but I think this offense is missing Moss, and D. Walker at this moment. I believe that not having another legit WR besides Crabtree have cost us two potential Super Bowl in the past two seasons and now it is biting us in the azz again. We need another receiver who is a threat to hit a home run. Without that, we are relying on Davis too often and if he's out, we are just incapable of winning games through the air. We are wasting away our window by not seriously addressing our WR issues.

We need to draft a WR well in the upcoming draft.

I can't put the blame on the receivers anymore. They had a few bad plays in the game, but overall, they just did not have the opportunity to get the ball. The play design was atrocious. With a team blitzing the way the Panthers were, this would have been the perfect game to showcase Hunter and James on short screens and pass plays. Manningham was out there moving really well, and he would have been great to put on short crossing patterns. The bottom line is that the plays that were called took way too long to develop, and Kap was under fire because of it. There were several times he took sacks that he should not have, but I think the best we could hope for is that he threw the ball away.

I used to hope that Roman would be able to adapt and get creative with the pass, but I just don't see any change from year one to year three. To be honest, I don't even think he is as good as advertised in the run game. I don't know how many times Frank Gore turns a loss of 3 into a positive gain. I just think that if this team ever expects to be a better offense, Roman has to go, and there is a reason nobody has hired him yet.

Agree entirely, and with what Phoenix is saying.

We could put Payton Manning in this offense and the result would be the same, well he might perhaps tell Roman to stop being an idiot and then run it as he wanted.our losses over the last 3 years are almost identical.

I also agree even on the run game element re. Roman. He's got some creative plays but he also calls some incredibly obvious run plays that get us in trouble, or that Frank manages to convert into a small gain because he's Frank. our offense has peaked with Roman and he needs to go if we want to take the next step.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
SofaKing, I'm not sure where you're coming from. My post was giving further thought to Phoenix's post I included regarding the offense. What I'm getting at here is sometimes over-complexity can lead to not everyone being on the same page, errors, overthinking things (especially if you have a younger QB). A lot of "kill-kill" is going on and it makes me wonder (and worry every time the playclock gets closer to zero - need to one day quit spending our TOs because of this). My post is in no way a slam on Kap - every young QB is going to have games like today (look at Luck's game today) but it's how they bounce back and how the coaching staff does what it can to put the QB into the best position to succeed. I have full confidence in Harbaugh and co. that this will happen.

I think he was laughing at the video I posted.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yup. Sorry about the confusion LottDMontanaO. You're OK in my book.

Yep, my bad. (And, that video is funny...Costco sweatpants are underrated ).
Yep, my bad. (And, that video is funny...Costco sweatpants are underrated ).

I'm wearing a pair right now! I s**t you not. That's why I lol'd
Originally posted by calbear:
The WRs are terrible.

We do not throw the ball down filed because Kap doesn't trust the WRs and Roman doesn't call effective passing plays.

And maybe Roman doesn't trust the WR's either? Still though good QB's make below avg receivers look avg and good receivers look great. I'm finished making excuses for Keap, WR's and Roman, they all suck this year I don't really know a better way to put it.
Kap's lack of intellect. He's been figured out and but HE has yet to figure this out. And he can't make the right call at the line and read a defense to save his life.

When he faces any type of adversity against a good defense that won't let him run, he sucks.
Originally posted by PorqueWhy:
Kap's lack of intellect. He's been figured out and but HE has yet to figure this out. And he can't make the right call at the line and read a defense to save his life.

When he faces any type of adversity against a good defense that won't let him run, he sucks.

Damn Seahawks fans up in hurr, trolling everrrrry day like they're on salary.
Originally posted by PorqueWhy:

Damn Seahawks fans up in hurr, trolling everrrrry day like they're on salary.
Sorry brother, been a Niner fan since 79. Just cause someone tells the truth doesn't mean they are fans of another team. Get over yourself and see the truth, its right there before your eyes.

We kept the wrong QB.

I sure hope Harbaugh and Roman are not over-thinking things and trying to "hide" certain aspects of our offense until the playoffs, similar to the read option with Green Bay last year. If so, they need to swallow their pride real quick, we are going to be in a fight to reach the playoffs
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:
I sure hope Harbaugh and Roman are not over-thinking things and trying to "hide" certain aspects of our offense until the playoffs, similar to the read option with Green Bay last year. If so, they need to swallow their pride real quick, we are going to be in a fight to reach the playoffs

Hides things until the playoffs ?! Are you serious ? At this rate, we might not even make it as a wildcard. LOL.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Hides things until the playoffs ?! Are you serious ? At this rate, we might not even make it as a wildcard. LOL.

Exactly what I am saying if this strange play calling stays the same going forward.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
kaep has a "jeff george" arm. that kind of arm needs fast, down-field receivers at the other end. get deep fast, and kaep's ball will be near. just don't ask him to finesse the ball much because it will be impossible with his mechanics. he's a one-gear, fastball thrower.
Share 49ersWebzone