There are 145 users in the forums

I feel like I'm watching our old offense when Alex smith was playing

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Lol. The old double standard aye? We only count Kaep's early years which are now, but Alex's early years are off limits though.

Yeah, because those early years, pre-Harbaugh, are garbage. Kaep would've floundered TERRIBLY with those pathetic excuses for head coaches in Nolan and Singletary. It's reasonable, if you want to compare Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, to compare them when they have the same coaching staffs.

To be fair to both though, Alex Smith was a veteran in the league, and last year, in his second year in the system, he was in year 2. Meanwhile, Kaepernick has barely played one year in the NFL, and this is the first year that we've catered the system to his skillset. There's bound to be some growing pains.

When we traded Alex Smith to the Chiefs, it wasn't just because we only had room for one starting quarterback... it was because we wanted to give Kaepernick the reins for not only this year... but possibly the next 10 years. And I can say with confidence that, for the next 5-10 years, Kaepernick is a better choice than Alex Smith.

But obviously, we want to win now because our current roster will only be at its peak for the next year or two before we have to lose key veterans like Gore, Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, etc. etc. I can NOT say with confidence who would've been the better quarterback for this team. All we needed today was another field goal, or possibly a touchdown on one of our early drives. I think Alex could've gotten that... but really.. who knows?
Another thread discussing Alex Smith. oh goodie
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by niners9:
Alex would have probably put up the same numbers today. Kaep is still a young QB who lost one of his favorite targets in Davis. It is very frustrating but we are much better off with Kaep than Alex.

alex has small hands

How are we better?

9 - 0 > 6 - 3.

6 completions, 10 completions, 92 yards and 1 int.

Some examples of stellar Kaep games this season....

Alex beats playoff teams and Kap only plays against below average teams
Originally posted by redrathman:
Our old offense won more games.

Well technically we are about the same spot as we were last year. after 9 games last year we were 6-2-1. were 6-3 so your talking about a half game there
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Alex would have probably put up the same numbers today. Kaep is still a young QB who lost one of his favorite targets in Davis. It is very frustrating but we are much better off with Kaep than Alex.

This.

If anyone has ANY opinion that differs, what would he have done on what play that would have been different?

I could count at least 5 plays where Smith would have been sacked that Kaep escaped from.

Would Smith magically have improved the O-line just from his godly presence?

Would Smith's presence have caused Vance to clamp down on that down field pass?

alex has small hands

How are we better?

9 - 0 > 6 - 3.

I sure haven't seen Kaep or the 49ers beating many good teams this year.
we dont even use freakin Jon Baldwin
Doods...enough with this Alex Smith b******t...he's not a part of this team.

It's fruitless to continue this QB war, because both sides have taken a hard line stance and will not change their opinion.

alex has small hands

How are we better?

9 - 0 > 6 - 3.

says the fans that watched last year.. oh wait!
Originally posted by TyCore:
This.

If anyone has ANY opinion that differs, what would he have done on what play that would have been different?

I could count at least 5 plays where Smith would have been sacked that Kaep escaped from.

Would Smith magically have improved the O-line just from his godly presence?

Would Smith's presence have caused Vance to clamp down on that down field pass?

Smith wouldn't have held onto the ball as long as Kaepernick.

OL ranked #10 through week 9, but sure blame them.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

Originally posted by kray28:
Fire Roman...and bring in a real WCO guy. Kap can make the homerun throws...but first he needs to make the basic ones that can keep the offense on the field.

This. One thing I am sure of after 2 1/2 seasons, Roman has no business being an offensive coordinator in the NFL, don't care if anyone disagrees but this guy has been reliably horrible in games against better teams, can't wait for this guy to be gone.
Let's give credit to the Panthers, Colts and Seahawks D's. Kap is still young and he needs to learn how to adjust. Our Coaches need to learn how to make on the fly adjustments to help the O because too many times we either stick with the gameplan when it ain't working or we try to get too cute and go away with things that are working. Maybe Alex is better now (I'm a big Alex fan) but he too went through his growing pains early in his career trying to make the big play instead of taking what the D is giving him.
Kaep holds on to the ball too long, dammit!

alex has small hands

How are we better?

9 - 0 > 6 - 3.

I sure haven't seen Kaep or the 49ers beating many good teams this year.

The last time Alex put up a nearly identical statline was 2006. Under this regime the most similar performance statswise both resulted in wins over Seattle, so those don't really apply. Maybe the 140 yards he put up against Baltimore two years ago but that was against a very good D, prime time game, on the road with tons of hype due to the Harbowl...or that loss two seasons ago against Arizona...either way none were as bad as what we witnessed today if we're being honest. I hope we get it straightened out quick, I believe in the staff and Kap but he has not looked good this year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by kray28:
Fire Roman...and bring in a real WCO guy. Kap can make the homerun throws...but first he needs to make the basic ones that can keep the offense on the field.

This. One thing I am sure of after 2 1/2 seasons, Roman has no business being an offensive coordinator in the NFL, don't care if anyone disagrees but this guy has been reliably horrible in games against better teams, can't wait for this guy to be gone.

Good run game coordinator, clueless in the pass game. Even when our QBs have had success, there was never consistent rhythm throughout the game.
Share 49ersWebzone