LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

I knew our passing game wasn't the greatest but I didnt know we were DEAD LAST in the

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And Rathman whoopin yo hiney
Thats 49er football.

We whump you
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by MadAdam:
Keep in mind that the Niners are #32 in passing attempts as well. If they were high or in the middle of the pack on attempts and still at the bottom on yardage, that would be a problem, but they just haven't been attempting that many passes. They're #7 in yards per attempt so when they do pass it's effective.

Being last in attempts and yards isn't an issue. I do agree that efficiency is more important...but I think a lot of people expected Kaep to be so much better than our previous QB that it was about the Kaep show..and now that it is back to a more conservative game, it's disappointing.

I'm sure some people are using it as a jab to poke fun at the people who were anti Alex but pro Kaep when both players were on the team.

This is the thing I am trying to argue against. The idea that we have shifted to more conservative football is WRONG.

When the game is CLOSE, we throw the s**t out of the football. 400+ exciting yards against Green Bay and 350+ exciting yards against Arizona.
When we are losing, we throw the football a lot also, but not as much as when the game is close.

The ONLY time we have been playing "conservative" is when we are BLOWING THE s**t OUT OF THE OTHER TEAM. That is when we play "conservative".
We have been playing "conservative" a lot this season, because we have been blowing teams away this season.

The fact that Kap has played so well in the first half, has hurt his numbers in the second half, and it is creating the false appearance of conservative play.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Lol you had me second guessing my memory for a second .

What are you talking about? Montana's numbers didn't drop once he got Craig and Tyler.

They were a nightmare to defenses because they were dual threats with Montana at QB.

I'm pretty sure Craig was the first RB to get 1000 yards rushing and receiving in the same year. I think he lead the league in receiving that year also.

Ok I lied lol.

Yeah Craig was insanely great that year, as was Montana, as was Tyler, as were the 49ers.

Glad somebody out there remembers man. Cheers

Its been said I'm never boring man lol.

That was absolutely freaky what went on with Craig and Tyler in the backfield together eh? Man people were hyperventilating before the ball was snapped lol !

Anyway, yeah this team has a good run game and should run with it no?

Ooooh hell yeah they should! Our running game is insanely great. And our wr's are coming back also. Its almost mind blowing the potential of this offense, going forward!
Just imagine, how defensive co ordinators are gonna look at us going forward! Pick your poison
Hellyeah

They didnt know what the f to do with us..Rice and Taylor on the outside and Jones hitting the slot...plus Craig and Tyler....Jesus

So very true, add in the fact trying to cover rice. Yeah right that dude had a handful of ways to start off each route to throw off the cornerback mastered to perfection! Could you imagine having rice now in his prime

What are you talking about? Montana's numbers didn't drop once he got Craig and Tyler.

They were a nightmare to defenses because they were dual threats with Montana at QB.

I'm pretty sure Craig was the first RB to get 1000 yards rushing and receiving in the same year. I think he lead the league in receiving that year also.

Ok I lied lol.

Yeah Craig was insanely great that year, as was Montana, as was Tyler, as were the 49ers.

That was absolutely freaky what went on with Craig and Tyler in the backfield together eh? Man people were hyperventilating before the ball was snapped lol !

Ooooh hell yeah they should! Our running game is insanely great. And our wr's are coming back also. Its almost mind blowing the potential of this offense, going forward!
Just imagine, how defensive co ordinators are gonna look at us going forward! Pick your poison
Hellyeah

They didnt know what the f to do with us..Rice and Taylor on the outside and Jones hitting the slot...plus Craig and Tyler....Jesus

So very true, add in the fact trying to cover rice. Yeah right that dude had a handful of ways to start off each route to throw off the cornerback mastered to perfection! Could you imagine having rice now in his prime

Imagine how it's going to be next year with a fully healthy Lattimore and Gore in the backfield and a fully healthy Crabs and Boldin on the outside

Ok I lied lol.

Hellyeah

Double post...
[ Edited by aTx49er on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM ]
It's all the fault of one man and that's...oh, wait--he's gone...they really miss Teddy Ginn!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This is the thing I am trying to argue against. The idea that we have shifted to more conservative football is WRONG.

When the game is CLOSE, we throw the s**t out of the football. 400+ exciting yards against Green Bay and 350+ exciting yards against Arizona.
When we are losing, we throw the football a lot also, but not as much as when the game is close.

The ONLY time we have been playing "conservative" is when we are BLOWING THE s**t OUT OF THE OTHER TEAM. That is when we play "conservative".
We have been playing "conservative" a lot this season, because we have been blowing teams away this season.

The fact that Kap has played so well in the first half, has hurt his numbers in the second half, and it is creating the false appearance of conservative play.

Good point BrianGo. I agree...the coaches have always wanted to have the ability to run OR pass when needed. I hate the 50-50 ideal. Not true...if a team is weak in coverage, you exploit it. If they are weak in run defense, you exploit that. Simple. The next step this offense needs to take is spreading the ball around better and providing more outlets for CK (RB's in the passing game, TE's in the soft zones, dialing up others not named Boldin/VD, etc.). We pride ourself in diversity in the run game but are very poor at this in the passing game. Now that HaRoMan "feel" they have their full arsenal back, we'll see if this offense changes at all. Diversity is key when facing one of the few defenses that CAN stuff our run with 8+ in the box while also locking down the annointed receiver (less predictable) more effectively. We rarely are behind too so if we ARE, diversity and coaching and being able to change gears mid-game are critical to us not only getting to the Superbowl but winning it IMHO!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Being last in attempts and yards isn't an issue. I do agree that efficiency is more important...but I think a lot of people expected Kaep to be so much better than our previous QB that it was about the Kaep show..and now that it is back to a more conservative game, it's disappointing.

I'm sure some people are using it as a jab to poke fun at the people who were anti Alex but pro Kaep when both players were on the team.

but our game isn't conservative at all lol we don't go for field goals we go for touchdowns, we don't go for punts we go for it on 4th downs regularly. we go for deep passing plays regularly if anything we're way more loose now than we had ever been. when its 3rd and 8 we don't run 4 yard routes they run 15 yard routes.

power football does not = conservative. we've been anything but the entire season. we've been incredibly effective with limited wr options. NOW with more if we maintain the same ratio with even better talent out there it would equal even more success.

conservative is not a fair word, the people who are throwing it 50 times a game WISH they could run it 30 times a game and get production. they just can't and we can.

I'll disagree with you here because Power Football is conservative by nature. Control the clock, Pound the rock..why? because you don't turn it over and the other team can't score if you have it. I have absolutely no problem with it. A deep passing game is not conservative. Why? because it is a higher risk/ payoff play. Both methods can be effective..and are often more effective when combined because it keeps the other team off balance.

I think you're mistaken that people throwing it 50 times wish they could pound it. Those offenses were developed as a result in the changes in the rules that favor offenses. It still works. But because the pendulum has swung so far that defenses have changed to deal with it, the power running game has again become effective.

I also think you're mistaking aggresive play calling (i.e. going for it on 4th) with aggresive offense style (ground vs air attack).
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by MadAdam:
Keep in mind that the Niners are #32 in passing attempts as well. If they were high or in the middle of the pack on attempts and still at the bottom on yardage, that would be a problem, but they just haven't been attempting that many passes. They're #7 in yards per attempt so when they do pass it's effective.

I think it's real hard for you to make that argument right now. The first 3 games they threw like the saints...then they went to a more balanced approach...the following game matches your discription..and the following games were blow outs..and most teams take their feet off the gas when they're up by a lot....

It sure looks like they got conservative (in comparison) after those first 3 games.

Our running attack is lethal. Even the receivers love blocking for it.

This is something real we are all watching right now.
It's been frustrating to watch out passing attack...feels like pre-2010 era when 130 yards per game over the air was the norm. pathetic to see this
Vance McDonald can be lethal...but oh wait we rarely throw him a bone...that's not developing ....thats holding back a player....
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
It's been frustrating to watch out passing attack...feels like pre-2010 era when 130 yards per game over the air was the norm. pathetic to see this

Come on man don't have a bad day. You are watching greatness real time.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
6-2.

Only care about wins.
Share 49ersWebzone