There are 169 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers Having a Quietly...Good Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
https://twitter.com/caminman/status/418172486493011968

Rogers is not ruling himself out for Sunday despite his injury.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ FWIW

PFF has Rogers as the 71st best CB... 71st... ... and his worst grade was from last weekend's game.

Agree with PFF. I don't know how people keep saying Rogers is playing so well when all you have to do is watch ANY play and you'll see his half-ass effort. Give me Wright/Brown or Morris in the slot...any CB with some heart/passion/desire. This may very well end up being a blessing in disguise for us during this run.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agree with PFF. I don't know how people keep saying Rogers is playing so well when all you have to do is watch ANY play and you'll see his half-ass effort. Give me Wright/Brown or Morris in the slot...any CB with some heart/passion/desire. This may very well end up being a blessing in disguise for us during this run.

basically.
he has been playing ok.

the combo of wright and brock were killing teams.

if brown is back to form with brock and wright our secondary is up there with anyone. we're already going to keep eric reid deep for the play action and deep threat and have whitner help in run support.

just have to dialed in.
Originally posted by Disp:
I'm pretty stoked that Wright is gonna be in there instead of Rogers. Rogers covering Nelson in the slot would be a nightmare. Dude is playing like hot garbage recently, and I'd rather they just completely cut him in the offseason over forcing a pay cut.

Yeah, he needs to go. He's a liability in coverage and the cap. Don't want him back. Upgrade and reload in secondary in the off season via draft, free agency.
Never have been a big fan of Rogers. He seems to have lost a step over this last season.
Rogers is f**king horrible. teams have been running Attack 22 with great success all year
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Ugh sounds like he might be ok to play :(. Nelson gonna rape him.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
He has not had as good a year as the past two, but his experience shows up in games against elite Qbs. Brock had a worst game against Arizona. Brown was pretty solid in his limited time and plays well against Greenbay.
Hopefully Cully comes back 100% and we can let Carlos walk. Still need to draft a good CB this year.
I'm certainly not sold that we aren't better off without him if he IS 100% healthy, so if he is at all slow or hobbled, we are way better off with the healthy, younger players in there. He constantly seems to be half a step too slow or a second too late to react when healthy, he will be destroyed if he is in there at less than 100%.

I think he's been average this year. he gets beat and is old and losing speed. But he's been much better this year in the slot than last year. Haven't been too many big time performances from other teams slot guys. Just can't leave him one on one with a speed guy though. They will be much better off with him than without him. Not sure i trust Wright in the slot just yet. Really haven't seen him do much to trust him. Either way this should be his last year with the team.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think he's been average this year. he gets beat and is old and losing speed. But he's been much better this year in the slot than last year. Haven't been too many big time performances from other teams slot guys. Just can't leave him one on one with a speed guy though. They will be much better off with him than without him. Not sure i trust Wright in the slot just yet. Really haven't seen him do much to trust him. Either way this should be his last year with the team.

Its not just speedy receivers, its ALL receivers Rogers gives up catches to.
The slot position is the worst f**king position he could possibly be put in
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

agreed. He tied for best slot corner in NFL based on PFF cover snaps per reception.
Originally posted by Hopper:
agreed. He tied for best slot corner in NFL based on PFF cover snaps per reception.

Best in what ranking, specifically? I see that he is ranked 7th in QBR passes going his way while in the slot.

In any case, that's a very shady stat by itself. It doesn't account for anything after the snap... like whether Rogers even continues pursuit of the slot target he's lined up against (zone) or whether the result of the plays were influenced by other defenders or even drops.

shows that he's given up the 6th most in YAC... that can't be good.. but again, that stat alone is shady too.

Sadly, the only way to really garner an opinion of Rogers' performance in the slot is by watching the games and drawing opinions from that. No one wants to believe that he sucks in slot coverage.... but my memory from the games tells me he is unbalanced, slow-footed, and mostly chasing his assignment from 2 to 3 steps behind.
Share 49ersWebzone