LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers Having a Quietly...Good Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't have coach's camera footage, so I don't know how Carlos is performing this year. It seems like once Tremaine Brock took over for Nnamdi, the secondary as a whole solidified. How is Carlos Rogers playing? It seems like Terrell Brown has been victimized on occasion, but you don't hear very much about Carlos. That's usually a good thing for a cornerback, right?
Bad. he has actually been playing bad. The only catches team could regularly count on is in the slot, which is where Rogers plays.

The system is weird. he makes starting db money, but plays the slot wr exclusively when there's more than 2 wr's

which means brock is actually matching up and playing the teams #1 or #2 option with brown playing the opposite outside, which begs the question, why are we paying him $9 million dollars to cover the slot?
i think it will eventually bite him because if brock continues his play, he's basically playing the role of a starting cornerback not a nickel back. and the emergence of Eric Wright... if he is in top form and rogers continues to get burned.. as crazy as it sounds there could be a change made, unlikely but there could be
Carlos has been up and down. There was an article a few weeks back about how he was having a strong season.

But then he followed that up with a few weak games.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Bad. he has actually been playing bad. The only catches team could regularly count on is in the slot, which is where Rogers plays.

The system is weird. he makes starting db money, but plays the slot wr exclusively when there's more than 2 wr's

which means brock is actually matching up and playing the teams #1 or #2 option with brown playing the opposite outside, which begs the question, why are we paying him $9 million dollars to cover the slot?
i think it will eventually bite him because if brock continues his play, he's basically playing the role of a starting cornerback not a nickel back. and the emergence of Eric Wright... if he is in top form and rogers continues to get burned.. as crazy as it sounds there could be a change made, unlikely but there could be

When 2 WRs on the field, Rogers is on the outside. When 3 WRs on the field, he moves to the slot, which is the hardest of the CB positions.
Rogers assignments are far more complex than simply sticking with one guy.

He has multiple reads to make each and every play while sticking, or sticking and switching.

He is playing pretty dang well. Has had a few misfires but they all do.

The entire 49er secondary has been recognized lately about their excellent play and called by some as the defenses strength to this point.

Glad the staff wasn't listening to ANYONE in here mouthing off all off season that they wanted Rogers traded.
Originally posted by Youngb:
When 2 WRs on the field, Rogers is on the outside. When 3 WRs on the field, he moves to the slot, which is the hardest of the CB positions.

isn't that what i said?

he's had a few good games and lately he's been playing bad. that's just the reality of the situation. don't know what they'll do when eric wright comes back.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Rogers assignments are far more complex than simply sticking with one guy.

He has multiple reads to make each and every play while sticking, or sticking and switching.

He is playing pretty dang well. Has had a few misfires but they all do.

The entire 49er secondary has been recognized lately about their excellent play and called by some as the defenses strength to this point.

Glad the staff wasn't listening to ANYONE in here mouthing off all off season that they wanted Rogers traded.

lately it hasn't been good and that's fine. the secondary is playing extremely well especially considering that since week 3 majority of the sacks have been coverage sacks and not high pressure sacks. they're doing very well my post about rogers was just the truth its what he does and how he has been playing.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
lately it hasn't been good and that's fine. the secondary is playing extremely well especially considering that since week 3 majority of the sacks have been coverage sacks and not high pressure sacks. they're doing very well my post about rogers was just the truth its what he does and how he has been playing.

Oh I read you, he's had some visible moments recently. Expecting he will get in a groove as the season progresses. A couple of years ago he was lights out. The kind of athlete you don't go to sleep on.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's getting too old. slowing down a lot.
I think so. You don't hear his name called often. He must be doing something right.

He's doing a good job overall this year. They need to sdd youth & speed next year. Time tobmive in from Rogers unless he takes a major paycut. But he's been solid
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Rogers is very clearly the weakest player in the secondary. I think he's benefiting a lot from everyone else in the secondary playing so well, especially both safeties. He's not playing terribly. but let's not pretend he's back to pro bowl form or something, because he's not.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM ]
Regardless on how he plays i don't see him fitting in the teams long term plans. Hes older and slower. Most likely the starting corners next season are Brown and Culliver Brown should be extended long term by then. If Wright works out he might be back next year. And I'm sure they go after corner in the draft.
Originally posted by Disp:
Rogers is very clearly the weakest player in the secondary. I think he's benefiting a lot from everyone else in the secondary playing so well, especially both safeties. He's not playing terribly. but let's not pretend he's back to pro bowl form or something, because he's not.
Who said he is playing at pro bowl level? Wasn't me.

He is playing very, very well though overall. Sure his time to retire is coming but he isn't done right now.

This isn't the off season, its the real season, so who cares about trading him or retiring him?

He's playing well still.

Glad he's a 49er unlike some people in here who are more focused on playing trade guru and dampening the fun of the season than enjoying what we have and the fun of the season.
better than last year
Share 49ersWebzone