LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

The next 49er to get a big $$ deal (other than Kap)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If there is one area where I have confidence in the FO getting it right, it's in this area of resigning players.
crabtree
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
If there is one area where I have confidence in the FO getting it right, it's in this area of resigning players.

this
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
crabtree

People forget that Crabtree has yet to have a full season (including TC) when he hasn't been injured beyond just the pulled muscle variety. Does this record warrant his getting a big $$ deal? I don't think so. And I'd be surprised if he got a Wallace-type deal. He'll get a fair, mid-level offer, I believe.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
crabtree

People forget that Crabtree has yet to have a full season (including TC) when he hasn't been injured beyond just the pulled muscle variety. Does this record warrant his getting a big $$ deal? I don't think so. And I'd be surprised if he got a Wallace-type deal. He'll get a fair, mid-level offer, I believe.

Mid-level? No I think you are wrong there man, Crabs is very talented and if it's not the 49ers someone will give him pretty good money. I'm thinking 10-12M per year.
I know it's going to be difficult, but I really want Crabtree to sign with us. Iupati has not looked dominant so far this season either.

It looks like Kap, Aldon, and Iupati might be available for a slight discount depending how the season goes. Crabtree's injuries probably provide a discount as well, but of course, everything depends on how all of these players FINISH the season, more so than how they started it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM ]
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Honestly I think the team may escape having to give Aldon some ridiculously huge contract and get something reasonable which may lead to them being able to keep Iupati and Crabs. Depending on how Crabs comes back from this injury though he could have a ton of leverage on this team considering how bad the WRs have played.

If we don't make aldon the highest paid olb in the league there's probably 31 other teams that would. He's that good

He isn't worth a highest paid Defensive player, he is clay matthews money, but now, he hasn't earned it off the field. He needs to prove he is clean, if not, I wouldn't touch him for a high dollar extension.

Also Hunter isnt eligible till next offseason. But I'm sure the OP knows that.

Boldin I see at $5M a yr for 2 or 3 years. Well Worth it.
I agree with you on Aldon and will get burned for my next statement. Not sold on giving Kaep the huge contract. It is not that he is not talented, but I still question the idea of putting all you eggs into one basket. If Kaep gets Flacco, Rodgers, Ryan money it will put a hurt on our team especially on D for the future.

Is Kaep, Brady or Manning where you can have a weaker WR core OL core and Defense and still win games because you QB is that good, or is he Ryan and Flacco. Very good QBs who under the right circumstances will win you games and more importantly not lose them.

Harbaugh thing is supposed to be QB, so to say we will create a great surrounding team and work via the draft on QB might be an option. If you pay Kaep the big money the surrounding team will lose some great players and Kaep better be up to the challenge.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I know it's going to be difficult, but I really want Crabtree to sign with us. Iupati has not looked dominant so far this season either.

It looks like Kap, Aldon, and Iupati might be available for a slight discount depending how the season goes. Crabtree's injuries probably provide a discount as well, but of course, everything depends on how all of these players FINISH the season, more so than how they started it.

I would be knocking on Iupati's door now trying to get an extension done.
Bruce miller.
Originally posted by dwett:
I agree with you on Aldon and will get burned for my next statement. Not sold on giving Kaep the huge contract. It is not that he is not talented, but I still question the idea of putting all you eggs into one basket. If Kaep gets Flacco, Rodgers, Ryan money it will put a hurt on our team especially on D for the future.

Is Kaep, Brady or Manning where you can have a weaker WR core OL core and Defense and still win games because you QB is that good, or is he Ryan and Flacco. Very good QBs who under the right circumstances will win you games and more importantly not lose them.

Harbaugh thing is supposed to be QB, so to say we will create a great surrounding team and work via the draft on QB might be an option. If you pay Kaep the big money the surrounding team will lose some great players and Kaep better be up to the challenge.

We may be in the minority that giving Kap a mega sized deal is bad idea. But I agree. Flacco, Ryan, Rodgers money is too much. For only 1 and half years starting. And he looks like he regressed a bit. I still believe in Kap. Just wouldn't go that money for him.

• dwett
  • Veteran

We may be in the minority that giving Kap a mega sized deal is bad idea. But I agree. Flacco, Ryan, Rodgers money is too much. For only 1 and half years starting. And he looks like he regressed a bit. I still believe in Kap. Just wouldn't go that money for him.
Well to be honest I was thought I would be alone not just in the minority . If Harbaugh can develop QBs or manage them around a great team to win games, I would be all in to pay him 10 mil a year. Last I checked, and you would be the expert, that does not effect our salary cap.

There are talented QBs coming out each year and each one put under the right circumstances can succeed. You would have to buck the trend of saying once you have a QB that is successful you have to pay him. There would be a out lash from the media about how we are handling our team but if we continue winning we would be considered the great "trend setters of the game"

Look at baseball and the terrible contracts given out, is the NFL QB the next.

It's the "franchise" quarterback thing though, which is different. So its not a matter of how good a franchise quarterback is, it is more a matter of "Who else are you going to play at quarterback?"

For example, let's say you're in the middle of the desert and there are 15 vehicles available for sale and 32 people, (and only one vehicle allowed per person). You have to get out of the desert, so you need a vehicle. Some of the vehicles are super high end Ferrari's and others are motored scooters and everything in between.
ALL of them cost 200 grand. What do you do if you can't get the best ones? Do you just walk? You could die if you walk. So you have no choice but to spend top money on the best available vehicle, even if it is just a motored scooter.

The "worth" of something is only relevant to the demand. If there is no alternative, then you have no choice, but to pay a high price for something in a high demand but unsaturated market.
This is why players like Romo, Rivers, Stafford are making huge money, the teams they are playing for don't really have an alternative. The "franchise" quarterback is what allows their team to be competitive.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]

Well to be honest I was thought I would be alone not just in the minority . If Harbaugh can develop QBs or manage them around a great team to win games, I would be all in to pay him 10 mil a year. Last I checked, and you would be the expert, that does not effect our salary cap.

There are talented QBs coming out each year and each one put under the right circumstances can succeed. You would have to buck the trend of saying once you have a QB that is successful you have to pay him. There would be a out lash from the media about how we are handling our team but if we continue winning we would be considered the great "trend setters of the game"

Look at baseball and the terrible contracts given out, is the NFL QB the next.

The contracts for NFL QBs are terrible. Flacco has a $28M cap number(Could be closer to $30M actually, cant remember) in 2016. Even if the cap goes up, it wont be by a lot. That is a cap killer.

I projected a $15M a yr, but now he is in that $10M-$12M a yr QB range. I would say to Kap, take a Rodgers deal from when he first extended his deal. Low 4yr deal. Then he proves himself, and gets to double dip so to speak, gets a bigger extension when the cap FINALLY goes way way up.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

It's the "franchise" quarterback thing though, which is different. So its not a matter of how good a franchise quarterback is, it is more a matter of "Who else are you going to play at quarterback?"

For example, let's say you're in the middle of the desert and there are 15 vehicles available for sale and 32 people, (and only one vehicle allowed per person). You have to get out of the desert, so you need a vehicle. Some of the vehicles are super high end Ferrari's and others are motored scooters and everything in between.
ALL of them cost 200 grand. What do you do if you can't get the best ones? Do you just walk? You could die if you walk. So you have no choice but to spend top money on the best available vehicle, even if it is just a motored scooter.

The "worth" of something is only relevant to the demand. If there is no alternative, then you have no choice, but to pay a high price for something in a high demand but unsaturated market.
This is why players like Romo, Rivers, Stafford are making huge money, the teams they are playing for don't really have an alternative. The "franchise" quarterback is what allows their team to be competitive.

I need to open an auto dealership in the middle of the desert! Awesome analogy lol.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Iupati.
Share 49ersWebzone