LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

Jerry Rice says "the Niners are struggling."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jerry rarely has anything nice to say about the 49ers unless they are doing good. Jerry was part of the dynasty 49ers so he's expectations for the team are high.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I don't think Jerry's remarks are controversial, are they? We're struggling on offense. The sky is blue. Grass is green. I see nothing controversial in any of these propositions.

This...

Jerry Rice is the mother effin man! There were a bunch of guys posting all this positive stuff from the media last year about Kap or during the off season and now the GOAT speaks the truth and people are upset. Good God it doesn't help our record any by being in denial. We have an easy opponent this week at our house so let's handle our business and see what they say about us next week. If we don't then expect more of the same, it's that simple.
[ Edited by KoolBeans on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
We are struggling. Blowout by Seahawks, unexpected loss at home to Colts, and ridiculous amount of injury. Sounds accurate to me.
Jerry will always view the game thru the eyes of a Wide Receiver and yes in that regard we ARE struggling. You mix in Roman's lack of sophisticated passing attack and I'm sure Jerry has a reason to be concerned.

Do think we are pretty solid all other areas but not our passing game......
The Colts game is the only surprise here. I was hoping to make it out of that stretch 4-1. 3-2 isn't all that bad, all things considered.
Jerry's pissed because he wanted the WR mentor/coach role
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Jerry Rice can f**k off.

I invite you to do so first.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
When Marc Trestman (bears head coach was the offensive coordinator for SF) Jerry Rice proclaimed " the offense ain't clickin' " during the season. Yes it wasn't..and it isn't now. So he when says the Niners are struggling...he as receiver is pointing to the QB and passing game.

he can say it back in the day when he was playing,, but this is not back in the day. he is the only x niner out there running his mouth . i guess he just has to be the focus of attention,. i am sorry jerry you miss the game but please, these are not your niners, this is not your time anymore
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
We are struggling. Blowout by Seahawks, unexpected loss at home to Colts, and ridiculous amount of injury. Sounds accurate to me.

we were struggling, since the colts, good coaching, two blowouts, unlike the bears, we did not mess around with a bad team and mauled a pretty good team, we got guys coming back, the special teams are special, the run game is solid , pass defense is near the top in the nfl, you got guys who are filling in nicely for hurt guys, we got a break in the schedule, there is no divided house. we are working through some issues in the passing game, ck may or may not be affected by a bad foot but it is not tragic, the good outweigh the "struggling". when i think people are over reacting, that should give the over reactors some pause to think about things
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Jerry's pissed because he wanted the WR mentor/coach role

he is pissed because his ego does not allow him to fade away quietly like 99.7 per cent of x niners from those glory days are doing

The curse of bj daniels
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Thank you man, sure took me long enough to figure out how to handle those narcissistic little squealers though didn't it? lol

This fan base is a trip these days.

One day (that naive squealing little portion of them) will scream the sky is falling and the next day call Jerry Rice a spotlight grabbing moron analyst who doesn't understand coaching or football if he says the Niners are struggling.

That portion of the fan base is a little like the misguided utopianists among us who think the FED is our enemy and if we suddenly do away with money the world will become some wonderful warm fuzzy pool of humans like Star Trek. When in reality the FED saved our a** from total economic meltdown and doing away with money would rapidly lead to thermonuclear war.

Know it alls with ZERO idea telling Jerry Rice he's an idiot.....because they just can't stop themselves.

Comical actually. For a day or two.

Anyway, Rice is right. Dead on right. The Niners have work to do if they are going to have a shot at the Bowl.

Or has it been my imagination that the hundreds of threads and thousands of comments in here about how the Niners are stinking in very numerous ways ever took place?

Indeed. Before I got to your post, I was scrolling through looking at responses thinking "Wait...so now Rice is the worst analyst ever?". The thing I know about this place is that probably 80% of the responses of that nature in ANY thread most likely comes from people who read the thread title, clicked on it, and commented based on the emotion they got from reading the thread title. Notice there was no thought involved in this process.

It's a much deeper issue than football or sports, actually. It's a social thing. It's all good though. Doesn't change how we feel about our team, right?

On a brighter note, I still think that the CORE of the regulars around here are level headed, intelligent people. Even the ones I disagree with 100% of the time - I'd say the ones who make up the fabric of the WZ (although in fewer numbers than the sensationalists) at least put "thinking" into the process. That's why we keep reading, I suppose.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Jerry Rice can f**k off.

I invite you to do so first.

Well said
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
When Marc Trestman (bears head coach was the offensive coordinator for SF) Jerry Rice proclaimed " the offense ain't clickin' " during the season. Yes it wasn't..and it isn't now. So he when says the Niners are struggling...he as receiver is pointing to the QB and passing game.

LOL, yet he had the best season of his entire career with Trestman calling the plays and the 49ers offense was still ranked 2nd in the NFL with absolutely no running game to speak of. Years later Rice, reunited with Trestman in Oakland, basically admitted as much. Trestman did an AMAZING job that year, the only reason he got fired was a hyper overreaction to losing to the Packers again.

The 49ers ended up beating the eventual Superbowl winning Cowboys, in Dallas, without Steve Young, with Grbac starting and Rice having his best game of the season.

I honestly don't know what people expected from Trestman when Derek Loville was your RB, in most of the games that season, the 49ers didn't go over 100 yards rushing. In the playoff game that they lost against Green Bay, Young led the team in rushing with 80 yards, nobody else had more than 10. The passing game was fine, Rice had 1800 yards receiving that season, the running game, or lack of it, was the issue and just like now, it was connected to a lack of available suitable personnel.

I honestly believe that had the 49ers re-signed Ricky Watters, they could have won at least another 2 Superbowl's before their window closed.

you're probably right. i also wanted garrison heart right when he moved on from the cardinals, but he went to the bengals for a season before joining the 49ers. i always wondered had we gotten him in 1996 in stead of 1997 would we have had enough to win it all.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So now jerry doesn't know what he's talking about....that's what some are believing?

If he actually said we could easily be 1-4, I'd definitely say he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone