LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

The McBLT is back....for a limited time only!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

This reminds me of the public relations fiasco with the stadium.

Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
For all of us scratching our heads about the QB situation:

I believe Kaepernick's foot injury is more serious than the 49ers are letting us believe. This is not the coaching staff forcing him to be a pocket passer.

One clue to this being a significant injury is that Kaepernick has lost a step this year for sure. - he is slower..he can't turn the corners like he did last year. The defense is tackling him more readily.

The second clue is the caroussel of revolving back up QBs starting with the release of BJ Daniels. The coaching staff is really concerned about Kaepenicks foot health..If Kaepernick were healthy BJ Daniels would still be #3 - This triggered this panic search for an immediate QB to step in.. They only reason Colt McCoy is still on the roster is because he is familiar wiith the play book. BJ Daniels was not ready. So Kaepernicks lingering foot injury started a quick search for a #2 quarterback if Kaepernick's injury gets worse. They will give the new guy every opportunity to learn the playbook quickly and annoint him #2. As for Skelton? Harbaugh just sees Thompson as the better option to back up Kaepernick..He is more mobile for sure and he knows his talents.

The third clue is Kaepernick's game manager label..Obviously with a serious foot injury, he can only do so much.

That's a lot of assumptions. Last year the Niners had Alex Smith in reserve, who was a minimal drop off if Kaepernick went down. That insurance policy enabled the Niners to take chances with Kaepernick to exploit his athleticism. It's more risky this year. Teams are defensing his style of play better and the backup situation looks pretty weak. That alone might be why Kaepernick's not running as much or as effectively.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Yes, this is truly a WTF move!

Bethel-Thompson > Skelton > BJ Daniels > Tolzien > Josh Johnson > Bethel-Thompson ??

It is the 3rd stringer. Why is this even a topic? Let me just say that the only constant is change. Maybe since they had him before he has improved, or they see him as a better fit now. The real question should be ... why are we worrying about it when the collective whole here are not privy to anything related to the team ... right? None of us know a darn thing really. I am not sure if the people inside the organization ever read this drivel, but if they do I bet they laugh their posteriors off at the ramblings of the totally uninformed.

The real question is, why are you ignoring the 3rd QB when the 49ers are obviously very interested in the subject? Certainly we don't know what they know, so they obviously must have their good reasons. But based on the info that we do have, even you can see the seemingly illogical moves that indicate McBLT is simultaneously both inferior and superior to the other four back-up QB's I listed above.

Bethel-Thompson > Skelton > BJ Daniels > Tolzien > Josh Johnson > Bethel-Thompson =
==> each of these five QB's was cut for the QB above them, indicating that QB was better than them, which infers that McBLT is simultaneously both inferior and superior to all 4 of the other QB's ==>

It's called a non-sequitur (Latin for "it does not follow"), in formal logic, it is a 'logical fallacy', it is an argument in which its conclusion does not follow the available facts.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM ]
The real question is, why are you ignoring the 3rd QB when the 49ers are obviously very interested in the subject? Certainly we don't know what they know, so they obviously must have their good reasons.

Because, like I said, we know squat ... myself definitely included. When the 49ers start paying a zoner 5 mill a year to make these decisions, then I will put credence into their opinion. These people that matter of fact post stuff with a lack of real information are just silly. Also, this was not directed to you specifically .. I probably should not have quoted you initially.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
The real question is, why are you ignoring the 3rd QB when the 49ers are obviously very interested in the subject? Certainly we don't know what they know, so they obviously must have their good reasons.

Because, like I said, we know squat ... myself definitely included. When the 49ers start paying a zoner 5 mill a year to make these decisions, then I will put credence into their opinion. These people that matter of fact post stuff with a lack of real information are just silly. Also, this was not directed to you specifically .. I probably should not have quoted you initially.

But really we know jack-s**t about anything they do, so why post anything here at all?

We know just as much about the 3rd QB moves as we do about the other moves they make, so why can't we post about the 3rd QB?
And based upon the info we do have, this QB move is illogical as I explained above. But I'm sure they have a good reason, we just don't know what it is (missing info)
was skelton even on the roster for a week?
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Harbaugh has made the 9ers look like a complete joke and an unprofessional outfit with this whole back-up QB debacle.

Just think about the ridiculous chain of events, Josh Johnson was a pretty decent back-up, then they dumped him for the crappy Tolzien, followed by signing an even more crappy McCoy and later dumping Tolzien. Then, he brought in Seneca Wallace and didn't even evaluate him properly by giving him only 2 mins of garbage time in a preseason game, basically using him just to force McCoy to take a paycut. The worst of all was to cut a promising young QB in BJ to deliver him on a silver platter to the Seahawks to sign a well known scrub in Skelton only to be dumped again days later for MBT.

If I was a QB, I wouldn't touch the 9ers.

Really? Do you know what other teams have done with backup QBs? Do you know why those players the Niners have signed and later released were available? What did the Patriots do with Tim Tebow? Was that unprofessional? Was it unprofessional what the Bengals did with John Skelton? There is a lot of turnover in backup QB positions, and especially in 3rd string QB positions. Harbaugh did nothing unprofessional and has not made this team a joke except in the minds of obsessed fans who are getting exercised over the 3rd string QB position. Most other people around the country don't even know what is going on with the Niners' 3rd string QB.

But that's just missing the point. A third-stringer isn't supposed to be front page news, but it doesn't mean that he is unimportant. QB is the most important position on the team. It behoves a well run organization to carry a developmental prospect on the roster. In Harbaugh's first year, the team carried TWO developmental guys. Didn't seem to bother them then, but they've strayed from that model this year. They had a guy that fit the development role perfectly and was showing well . . . they confessed to liking him, but they got spooked because some team worked out another player who they thought looked intriguing (a failed veteran on whom there was plenty of film; nevertheless even some "experts" here knew better).

IMO, and evidently, the Niners lost the plot, played roulette and tried to slip their guy by the rest of the league and onto the PS. Except that their biggest rival also had their eye on BJ (something the Niners knew, or should have known) and snatched him. I'm pretty sure that, given the rivalry, there's some amount of chuckling going on by the 'Hawks. Yes, they pwned the Niners on this one.

What makes it look worse is that now it looks like the rest of the league was pretty much right about Skelton. Now the team APPEARS to be scurrying around try to make up for their abandoning a perfectly good scheme. So there probably is some delight being experienced by teams/people who are not fans of the Niners. Also, judging from the way Baalke responded to the questioning on it, the Niners, I think realise thay they made a mistake. It happens and the Team will move on from it.

The team and FO is not infallible as some here on the 'zone would have us believe.

No one is saying the FO is infallible. However, first, the FO ALWAYS has much more information about players than we do. That doesn't mean they can't get it wrong, but it means that we don't know why they make certain decisions and overreacting to them is simply irrational. Second, it's one thing to believe that the FO might make mistakes, but it's another thing to make categorical, exaggerated statements like "Harbaugh is making the Niners look like a joke," all because we are exercised over movements the team has made for the 3rd string QB position. As for carrying a developmental QB, can you tell me which successful organization today carries a developmental 3rd string QB and who this QB might be?

I don't disagree with much of what you say.

There always seems to be a group who brings up the "we can't know better than the FO" argument to forestall any further discussion (NOT SAYING THAT YOU"RE PART OF THIS GROUP). If that's going to be the attitude, why bother having any discussion on roster moves? Of course we don't know, but its fun speculating anyway, and subsequent event's are either supportive of the argument made or not. FO does make mistake and that's evident, but then you know that.

Re Back-up QB's: Are you suggesting that successful organizations don't carry developmental QBs? Because that's the point, isn't it? Do teams carry developmental QB's . . . not so much whether they are 2nd or 3rd string? I'm sure that you agree.If the team carries three QB's and one is a rookie, he's usually the developmental guy and usualy 3rd string. Two years ago the Niners carried two "developmental" guys, wouldn't you say? Off the top of my head, NE carried Ryan Mallet as a third stringer in his rookie season. A few years ago San Deigo carried Charlie Whitehearst (who has graduated to 2nd string) as their developmental guy. I'm sure that there a lot of examples.

I agree that the team does have a reason to be making the decision that they do. And that saying the Niners are looking like a joke is an over reaction. A fan voicing frustration and going a bit over the top with it. I don't agree with that part of the assessment at all.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM ]

There always seems to be a group who brings up the "we can't know better than the FO" argument to forestall any further discussion (NOT SAYING THAT YOU"RE PART OF THIS GROUP). If that's going to be the attitude, why bother having any discussion on roster moves? Of course we don't know, but its fun speculating anyway, and subsequent event's are either supportive of the argument made or not. FO does make mistake and that's evident, but then you know that.

Re Back-up QB's: Are you suggesting that successful organizations don't carry developmental QBs? Because that's the point, isn't it? Do teams carry developmental QB's . . . not so much whether they are 2nd or 3rd string? I'm sure that you agree.If the team carries three QB's and one is a rookie, he's usually the developmental guy and usualy 3rd string. Two years ago the Niners carried two "developmental" guys, wouldn't you say? Off the top of my head, NE carried Ryan Mallet as a third stringer in his rookie season. A few years ago San Deigo carried Charlie Whitehearst (who has graduated to 2nd string) as their developmental guy. I'm sure that there a lot of examples.

I agree that the team does have a reason to be making the decision that they do. And that saying the Niners are looking like a joke is an over reaction. A fan voicing frustration and going a bit over the top with it. I don't agree with that part of the assessment at all.

Whitehurst wasnt a developmental QB, neither was Mallet, he was considered NFL ready.

Yes we kept two, but now is different. Daniels didn't fit in, he is a read option QB. We wont use it anymore on a regular basis, as everyone is targeting Kap.

Please get over it, it's a frigging 3rd QB, who shined against guys not in the league anymore.

But of course I will get ignored. So wtf.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Whitehurst wasnt a developmental QB, neither was Mallet, he was considered NFL ready.

Yes we kept two, but now is different. Daniels didn't fit in, he is a read option QB. We wont use it anymore on a regular basis, as everyone is targeting Kap.

Please get over it, it's a frigging 3rd QB, who shined against guys not in the league anymore.

But of course I will get ignored. So wtf.

Yeah and he didn't even plating that great. We just thought it was spectaculer given what Colt and Tolzien were doing, which was playing like garbage.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
And what happens if and when Kap goes down? You really think that McCoy can do the job? You'd better have a third one who has familiarity with the 49er's playbook, instead of trying to learn on the fly. With Kaps foot giving him problems .... you think he can really last the full season? Maybe ... Maybe not.

But this QB carousel is NOT getting anybody prepared adequately in case things go wrong! BTW none of these guys are my favorite and I root for both the 49er's and the Raiders. Yeah, you read that right. I used to know a lot of them. ... the old timers. Get off your high horse and let people have their opinions.

Then the 49ers are screwed. Just like the Saints, Packers, Patriots, Broncos and Gia...err nevermind...........would be screwed.

If Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning goes down, then yes .... those teams would have a hell of a time making it to and through the playoffs. But so far, none of those QB's have injury problems .... Kap on the other hand has a bad foot which the 49er's are trying damned hard to hide. I know all about bad feet and unless rested can only get aggravated. It's a long season ... and they just better hope that Colt McCoy can do the job. ...else they will be watching the Seahawks in the playoffs.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And what happens if and when Kap goes down? You really think that McCoy can do the job? You'd better have a third one who has familiarity with the 49er's playbook, instead of trying to learn on the fly. With Kaps foot giving him problems .... you think he can really last the full season? Maybe ... Maybe not.

But this QB carousel is NOT getting anybody prepared adequately in case things go wrong! BTW none of these guys are my favorite and I root for both the 49er's and the Raiders. Yeah, you read that right. I used to know a lot of them. ... the old timers. Get off your high horse and let people have their opinions.

Then the 49ers are screwed. Just like the Saints, Packers, Patriots, Broncos and Gia...err nevermind...........would be screwed.

If Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning goes down, then yes .... those teams would have a hell of a time making it to and through the playoffs. But so far, none of those QB's have injury problems .... Kap on the other hand has a bad foot which the 49er's are trying damned hard to hide. I know all about bad feet and unless rested can only get aggravated. It's a long season ... and they just better hope that Colt McCoy can do the job. ...else they will be watching the Seahawks in the playoffs.

So Daniels, a project rookie would be a good starter, or Skelton, or even McBlt, of course we would be s**t out of luck. We dont have a legit #2 QB, and Daniels wasnt it.
I dont understand how Thompson is any more ready than Daniels could have been at this point?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I dont understand how Thompson is any more ready than Daniels could have been at this point?

he can tick through his read progressions faster than daniels. but i'd give daniels the overall edge in passing playmaking.
my picks for current 49er backup qb:
1. daniels
2. b-t
3. mccoy
32. skelton
Most coaches cant find a starting qb. Harbaughs problem is he cant find a backup. hahaha. The best part is people around here want to lynch him for the backup qb debacle. hahahaha you motherf**kers are to much!!
Thank god we have easy teams before the bye week hopefully kap can heal up
Share 49ersWebzone