LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

"We can't draft wide receivers"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
.....LOL......WUT.......

It's happened
Originally posted by 49erWay:
3 great recievers you break the bank for but let every other area go mediocre.....no supberbowl and possibly no playoffs.

Refer to the 15 or so teams who keep trying that losing recipe each year.

Spend your money on defense, special teams, running game, and some other areas.....AND BRING IN OR RE-SIGN PROVEN FREE AGENTS LIKE WE HAVE DONE. And if you happen to get it right on a great receiver without breaking the bank so bad in the draft you sacrifice the rest of the team....cool.

.....In the playoffs almost every year and sometimes a Superbowl when done that way.

Apparently some of you kids who can't play or understand football aren't capable of getting what people in the zone are trying to get into your arrogant naive fantasy football playing skulls.

You've b***h//d about everything 49ers since day one and now your on the receiver issue. How golden you are.

You don't think Crabtree, Manningham, and Boldin would have torn it up if the injuries didn't happen?

Forgot about that ..... idiot dumbss move by our ignorant dumbss staff did you?

Please. Do not buy tickets next to me.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by English:
.....LOL......WUT.......

It's happened

lol
3 great recievers you break the bank for but let every other area go mediocre.....no supberbowl and possibly no playoffs.

Spend your money on defense, special teams, running game, and some other areas.....AND BRING IN OR RE-SIGN PROVEN FREE AGENTS LIKE WE HAVE DONE. And if you happen to get it right on a great receiver without breaking the bank so bad in the draft you sacrifice the rest of the team....cool.

.....In the playoffs almost every year and sometimes a Superbowl when done that way.

Apparently some of you kids who can't play or understand football aren't capable of getting what people in the zone are trying to get into your arrogant naive fantasy football playing skulls.

You've b***h//d about everything 49ers since day one and now your on the receiver issue. How golden you are.

You don't think Crabtree, Manningham, and Boldin would have torn it up if the injuries didn't happen?

.....LOL......WUT.......

Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by English:
.....LOL......WUT.......

It's happened

lol

Name me a team who CONSISTENTLY drafts stud receivers and I promise you we have achieved more in the past two years than they have in five. The Falcons found a diamond in the rough with Roddy White, but sold the farm to get Julio Jones, and traded for Gonzo as well. The Broncos did well drafting Decker and Thomas but the year before that their best WR was Brandon Lloyd. There is no perfect formula to drafting any position because there are too many factors in life it's self to derail a player from panning out not to mention issues within the player himself. We have Crabtree, Q, Ham, and Vernon who are all proven, then Baldwin and Patton also have some upside not to mention Vance McD. Just calm down and let things play out fellas.

tough guy
Overall, I think this argument that we need bigger WRs is ridiculous. Look at the top 10 players at the WR position and the height varies from 5'9" Wes Welker to 6'5" Calvin Johnson and everything in between.

However, I did find something interesting when it comes to the league leaders in TD RECEPTIONS through 5 weeks. Almost all of them are huge. More interesting is that a big chunk of them are TE's - and yes, big ones.

Here are the leaders in TD receptions and their height:

Wes Welker(WR) - 7 TDs - 5'9" - 185 lbs
Dez Bryant(WR) - 6 TDs - 6'2" - 222 lbs
Jimmy Graham(TE) - 6 TDs - 6'7" - 265 lbs
Julius Thomas(TE) - 6 TDs - 6'5" - 250 lbs
Jordan Cameron(TE) - 5 TDs - 6'5" - 245 lbs
Brandon Marshall(WR) - 5 TDs - 6'4" - 230 lbs
Eddie Royal(WR) - 5 TDs - 5'10" - 185 lbs
Victor Cruz(WR) - 4 TDs - 6'0" - 204 lbs
Vernon Davis(TE) - 4 TDs - 6'3" - 250 lbs (has less than half the receptions - 14 - of MOST above him)
Calvin Johnson(WR) - 4 TDs - 6'5" - 236 lbs
Austin Pettis(WR) - 4 TDs - 6'3" - 203 lbs
Demaryius Thomas(WR) - 4 TDs - 6'3" - 229 lbs

Not to read too deep into this, but it's definitely and interesting trend this year.
We can't DEVELOPE wrs! Fire the WRs coach!
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Overall, I think this argument that we need bigger WRs is ridiculous. Look at the top 10 players at the WR position and the height varies from 5'9" Wes Welker to 6'5" Calvin Johnson and everything in between.

However, I did find something interesting when it comes to the league leaders in TD RECEPTIONS through 5 weeks. Almost all of them are huge. More interesting is that a big chunk of them are TE's - and yes, big ones.

Vernon Davis(TE) - 4 TDs - 6'3" - 250 lbs (has less than half the receptions - 14 - of MOST above him)

Not to read too deep into this, but it's definitely and interesting trend this year.

OK then, all they need is some big tall dude like a Kareem Abdul Jabbar. They should look at drafting a Basketball Player ... A Center ... 6' 8" or above would do. Then all Kaep would need to learn to do is throw up a jump ball!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM ]

Originally posted by trellblaze:

welker f**ks up that whole list lol. but it does make sense that bigger guys would get more TDs. they can break tackles, are harder to bring down, have size to jump over people and have intimidation on their side.
I'd make the Josh Gordan trade tomorrow if I was GM. WR must be addressed because it's a long term dilemma. Would rather get a guy who can come in and contribute right away instead of drafting a WR which take time to develop.
Share 49ersWebzone