LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 211 users in the forums

Who's impressed with this win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's impressed with this win?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Sadly, it's hard to appreciate a good game when you are used to winning super bowls. I think that old farts like me are spoiled having watched our favorite team enjoy year in year out competitive advantage through a superior system. We keep trying to get back to that, even when we don't necessarily have the experience and savvy in the booth to make it happen to the same degree.

That's where I'm coming from, anyway.
i am what is considered to be a old fart, started being a fan in 1971. I do not travel in your packs where i am always trying to get back to the glory days because i know with the way the nfl operates and salary cap issues you can not keep a team together for as long as we did in the 80's. i am just more than happy with the way we climbed out of that black hole we were in for such a long time. i do not measure our success only on winning a super bowl(however if you get there the coaches need to make sure we win the thing because we do not or should not lose super bowls) anyhoo i just want a consistent winning team, make the playoffs every year and be a consistent player for the divisional title. not sure about you, but i find it very easy to appreciate a good team win like we have had in the last two weeks.. that is where i am coming from anyway
Originally posted by kazak13:
its amazing how many points we put up and yet our QB only completed 6 passes... we handled the Texans last night, but what if Denver comes in? can we go on a touchdown shootout with them? i want to see Colin throw the ball to 4-5 receivers and go for 300+ yards a game!

The way to beat Denver is keep the ball away from Manning, make him a spectator. Denver has a godawful defense we could dominate the line of scrimmage and run all over them. I don't see how Denver is so scary, if we run up against them, it will be in February @ the Meadowlands and probably not under conditions conducive to a high powered passing attack.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am what is considered to be a old fart, started being a fan in 1971. I do not travel in your packs where i am always trying to get back to the glory days because i know with the way the nfl operates and salary cap issues you can not keep a team together for as long as we did in the 80's. i am just more than happy with the way we climbed out of that black hole we were in for such a long time. i do not measure our success only on winning a super bowl(however if you get there the coaches need to make sure we win the thing because we do not or should not lose super bowls) anyhoo i just want a consistent winning team, make the playoffs every year and be a consistent player for the divisional title. not sure about you, but i find it very easy to appreciate a good team win like we have had in the last two weeks.. that is where i am coming from anyway

I'm not there yet. I'm a dreamer.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Bottom line we can't win a super bowl with this type of offensive play.. Talk all you about a win is a win, still doesn't mask that we have big issues with this inept offense.

actually you can win a super bowl with an offense like this. If the defense shuts down the opposing QB like we did tonight and forces him to make mistakes, you don't really need an effective offense.

jay9ers whats your deal man? are you upset because you have kap on your fantasy team? since when are stats more important then a W?

I am with you CC, this is not the 80s anymore, as awesome as they were for niners fans. Some folks just need to let go of the past, this is not 30 years ago but it is still good.
I'm not necessarily impressed, but considering that we have no legit number two wide-out, and a few of our best players are out with injuries, there's something to build on here. Kaep just has to manage the game till Manningham and Crabs can come back and let Gore and the defense do the rest.
Originally posted by buck:

But, you just can do not seem capable of controlling your apparent disdain for the team's leadership.

Let me get this straight.

You think that Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman, Boone, Staley, V. Davis, et al are overly concerned with their status as superstars.

I have no seen indication at all, not even a scintilla of a possible inkling that these guys look at the other members of the team with this team undermining mentality.
Either you have information that is not available to us common folk or you are seriously delusional.

I have some problems with the coaching directions on this team yes. Can you tell?

I believe there is a kind of pecking order that drives the domination of snaps taken by the starters on this team.

I am not sure, but I think it's coaching-culture driven. I don't know enough about how the locker room operates but that's my current view.

Open to discussion on that.

I think it hurt us last year. I think that fostering a more fluid rotation can get the young guys involved better and more deeply.

Look at Jerod-Eddie. First chance he gets,he fills in nicely on drop zone and gets a pick! How cool is that! Makes you wonder why not take a chance a little more with guys like that. And, he also put a little pressure on the pocket too -- fresh legs and all.

You know how coaches can sometimes go with their faves even when others can contribute too.

Anyway, I think guys like Lemonhead should have a lot more snaps than he does right now. Might even put in morris on our dime package too Just once in a while see how it goes. Get the most out of everyone. That's all I'm saying.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I am with you CC, this is not the 80s anymore, as awesome as they were for niners fans. Some folks just need to let go of the past, this is not 30 years ago but it is still good.

Can't. Sorry. And we had salary caps in the 80's. It's the 70s where we had hall of fame rosters playing against UDFA's.I.e Oakland Raiders 44 San Diego 0 week after week.
Niners are back! We ran the ball against a great run defense in Cushing and Watt! Who cares if Kaep isn't throwing for 300yrds? That's not our identity
I'm glad we stuck with the run -- we were smart. We saw it was working and kept going and they never were able to stop it. All game. That's how you do it. Do it until they force you to do something else.

I don't think anyone is upset that we ran more. People are upset that when we DID try to pass, most of the time it looked pretty ugly out there.

• buck
  • Veteran
Here is one exchange between a team superstar and his back-up prior to the game against Houston.

Less than an hour before game time, Wilhoite figured he would be backing up Willis. Then, Willis walked past him in the locker room as the team was preparing to head onto the field for warm ups.

"He pointed at me and said, 'It's you,'" Wilhoite said. "I took off my headphones and he said, 'I can't do that to you or the team. I can't be selfish. I want you go out and have a good game."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/reserves-step-49ers-defense-led-victory
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

agree. i loved the 80s like everyone but this is not then. you just want to be consistent winners every year, draft well, develop the kids well, be clever in the use of free agency, maintain a winning culture and climate, be in the hunt for the playoffs every year and then take your chances. living in the 80's and following the expression of super bowl or bust was nice but that was then,, this is now. the 70's broke down to me as just learning about the game of football,, the 80's was just xmas every day, the 90's was just about maintaining things, the new decade brought or should have brought all us spoiled fans down a few pegs and now we just appreciate all of the good things that are happening... sure i have my meltdowns when things do not go as i think they should but small potatoes in the big picture of being a niner fan all these years
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Early entrant for dumb post of the week.

Once again do we look like contenders? NOPE

You think we should look like contenders every week? Really?

Do you think the 49er Super Bowl teams looked like contenders every week? Really? Because if you do -- you would be wrong.

You want the team playing it's best ball in the month of December. Period. End of story. Nothing else matters.

Calm down. Enjoy the ride.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Originally posted by buck:
Here is one exchange between a team superstar and his back-up prior to the game against Houston.

Less than an hour before game time, Wilhoite figured he would be backing up Willis. Then, Willis walked past him in the locker room as the team was preparing to head onto the field for warm ups.

"He pointed at me and said, 'It's you,'" Wilhoite said. "I took off my headphones and he said, 'I can't do that to you or the team. I can't be selfish. I want you go out and have a good game."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/reserves-step-49ers-defense-led-victory

Willis is class. Not necessarily directing my comments there.
Share 49ersWebzone