LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Our Defensive Line Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Was Dial decent in college?

Yea. I mean as decent as any other Bama linemen.

Sabans Dlines for the past 3 years have been focused on controlled pressure.

He wants players to first and foremost maintain the integrity of the pocket. If a player gets outside his gap he will get an earful after the play.

Playing against the mobile QB/spread offense has caused Saban to abandon the traditional pass rushing fronts for containment principles.

This means Dial didn't put up big numbers, and his performances were very blue collar.

From time to time he showed glimpses of guy that could beat the single block, and he's trench warrior.

Ultimately, I think this is the type of guy we need at NT. If Tomsula can turn Ian Williams into a legit prospect I'm very intrigued to see what he can do with Dial.

If the reports are true and he is weighing in at 350 lbs, I hope he will be good. I forget the name of the GB NT from years back, but I hated when the Niners played him because he wrecked the Oline.

KGB?

He wants players to first and foremost maintain the integrity of the pocket. If a player gets outside his gap he will get an earful after the play.

Playing against the mobile QB/spread offense has caused Saban to abandon the traditional pass rushing fronts for containment principles.

This means Dial didn't put up big numbers, and his performances were very blue collar.

From time to time he showed glimpses of guy that could beat the single block, and he's trench warrior.

Ultimately, I think this is the type of guy we need at NT. If Tomsula can turn Ian Williams into a legit prospect I'm very intrigued to see what he can do with Dial.

If the reports are true and he is weighing in at 350 lbs, I hope he will be good. I forget the name of the GB NT from years back, but I hated when the Niners played him because he wrecked the Oline.

Gilbert Brown...our OLine was light AND old, that's why he wrecked us. Denver's line was just as light, but younger and handled him with no problem.
these rookies cant come in soon enough, our depth is really being tested. if this team wins the superbowl this year baalke deserves a statue at the new stadium
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

Gilbert Brown...our OLine was light AND old, that's why he wrecked us. Denver's line was just as light, but younger and handled him with no problem.

That guy was a big one.

That is who Dial needs to be.

I have no idea why they would want him to be that heavy. He has the frame to support it, but he played about 25 pds lighter at Alabama. I have a feelings he's going to be a clogger.
Alabama players tend to suck in the NFL... not saying that Dial will, but just thought I'd throw that out there..
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Alabama players tend to suck in the NFL... not saying that Dial will, but just thought I'd throw that out there..

i think our system makes a lot of people look great and we have probowl guys everywhere around him so he'll be fine
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

except... not?
maybe we should consider signing Richard Seymour? what's his asking price?
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

$4-5 mil reportedly. Seymour doesn't give a f**k, he's got rings, he's got accolades, dude is only going to come back if he can get PAID.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 14, 2013 at 1:47 AM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
$4-5 mil reportedly. Seymour doesn't give a f**k, he's got rings, he's got accolades, dude is only going to come back if he can get PAID.

I think we should change the Seymour thread title in the free agency forum to what you just said.. Keep having people ask about him. We should be ok with Carradine and Dial back even if they aren't ready at least it's more bodies. As for Seymour ball is in his court and frankly I'd rather win with what we have than have him join mid season and probably be out of shape and not motivated just wanting to collect pay checks. Heck I'm sure he is still getting paid big bucks from the Raiders and their 50 million in dead money fiasco.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I think we should change the Seymour thread title in the free agency forum to what you just said.. Keep having people ask about him. We should be ok with Carradine and Dial back even if they aren't ready at least it's more bodies. As for Seymour ball is in his court and frankly I'd rather win with what we have than have him join mid season and probably be out of shape and not motivated just wanting to collect pay checks. Heck I'm sure he is still getting paid big bucks from the Raiders and their 50 million in dead money fiasco.

I agree, we don't need a big name at nose anyway. We just need a serviceble one. Even if not Seymour, there might be other FA's outthere. BUT lets just hope Dial and/or Carradine works out because our DL is in trouble in the longrun.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Yep. Seymour is not a dumb man. He has earned the right to do ask for what he thinks is fair.
Sucks to lose Ian the way we lost him

Maybe we(fans) should consider that Richard Seymour is asking for too much money and we(Niners) don't have enough cap space to sign him.
Share 49ersWebzone