LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Can someone explain this to me??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Baalke has lost his mind
Originally posted by buck:
I am not sure that they all count against the cap. As far as I know only the top 51 salaries count against the cap.

I do not know if all those guys are in the top 51.

You are probably correct, I was using Niner Nation as my source on the rules. According to that site all players count--whatever their status.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:54 AM ]
I'm only pissed at the Cooper release. He actually showed something in an actual game.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Why does this organization continue to make questionable roster decisions... it seems everyone that is half way decent we are cutting or getting rid of..

Cam Johnson 7th round pick, physical specimen finally shows the upside we took the risk on with the 7th rounder.. wins a game ball... we trade him for another 7th... useless trade...

Lavelle Hawkins.... not a great player, but played well for us in the preseason... we reward him with a cut..

Bj. daniels... for a rookie looked REALLY good.... we cut him for skelton???

I don't know whats going on here, but it seems to me we are not allowed to have decent backups on this team...

Sure, Jim Harbaugh knows more about football than you.

Next question.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I am not sure that they all count against the cap. As far as I know only the top 51 salaries count against the cap.

I do not know if all those guys are in the top 51.

You are probably correct, I was using Niner Nation as my source on the rules. According to that site all players count--whatever their status.

I checked and it is a bit more complicated.

Do all player contracts count against the salary cap in the off season?

No. The "Top 51" rule stipulates that only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap in the off season.

However, once the regular season starts, all contracts – including practice squad players – count against the salary cap.

So, it looks like you were right.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/18/durkin-explaining-the-nfls-salary-cap/
[ Edited by buck on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:02 AM ]
Originally posted by SoCold:
Why does this organization continue to make questionable roster decisions... it seems everyone that is half way decent we are cutting or getting rid of..

Cam Johnson 7th round pick, physical specimen finally shows the upside we took the risk on with the 7th rounder.. wins a game ball... we trade him for another 7th... useless trade...

Lavelle Hawkins.... not a great player, but played well for us in the preseason... we reward him with a cut..

I don't know whats going on here, but it seems to me we are not allowed to have decent backups on this team...

Next question.

I checked and it is a bit more complicated.

Do all player contracts count against the salary cap in the off season?

No. The "Top 51" rule stipulates that only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap in the off season.

However, once the regular season starts, all contracts – including practice squad players – count against the salary cap.

So, it looks like you were right.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/18/durkin-explaining-the-nfls-salary-cap/

Thanks for looking that up Buck.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
B.J. Daniels claimed off 49ers waivers by the Seattle Seahawks, according to a league source.

lol
I knew this would happen.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
B.J. Daniels claimed off 49ers waivers by the Seattle Seahawks, according to a league source.

lol

Let Seattle pay him for the year...or cut him after he divulges all the 9ers secrets...it's all part of Harbaugh's master plan to deceive the Seahawks!
I personally think the minor roster transactions get waaay to much reaction from fan bases.

I am a hawks fan, but I go through the same thing every year as well. We watch these guys in the preseason, and read what's written about them through training camp, learn a little about their background, and to the fan base they become these indespensible parts of our team. When they get cut after camp, or released as part of a roster transaction, we're crushed and question the sanity of the front office.

I always have to remind myself that the front office can't be as emotional about these things as we are as fans, and they know 100000 times more about football and these players specifically than we ever will. All you can do is look at your teams track record with building a roster, the transactions they've made, and hope they know what they're doing.

The bottom line is 9 times out of 10 these types of transactions never amount to anything at all. I remember losing my mind about the 49ers signing Ricardo Lockette from Seattles PS. I was positive this guy would come back to bite us in the arse every game we faced SF. Then kept hearing about the bond he developed with CK, and how highly Harbaugh thinks of him, and my fears were about to be realized. SF goes through a rash of injuries and the guy still can't even get on the field. I also remember thinking years ago that Seattle was INSANE for trading Darrel Jackson to an inter division team. Again......nothing.

Michael Robinson is about one of the only exceptions I can think of to this. He helped Seattle a ton for a quite a while, but again this is the exception, not the rule.

The other thing that I think gets overblown a ton, is the idea that teams sign other teams castoffs for inside information. I've heard coaches comment on this in the past, that any information they may get is negligable, and isn't really any more than they pick up through film study anyway. The exception I've heard coaches say (Mike Holmgren specifically) may be for a QB that has a lot of experience in a system. So even a rookie QB wouldn't be able to offer too much.

If it were such a huge advantage, teams would just make a practice of keeping one roster spot open and sign a player off their opponents practice squad every week for insider information.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

lol

Who didn't ?

May be just about the whole world other than two guys named Baalke and Harbaugh perhaps ?

What a joke !!
Originally posted by maltz88:
I personally think the minor roster transactions get waaay to much reaction from fan bases.

I am a hawks fan, but I go through the same thing every year as well. We watch these guys in the preseason, and read what's written about them through training camp, learn a little about their background, and to the fan base they become these indespensible parts of our team. When they get cut after camp, or released as part of a roster transaction, we're crushed and question the sanity of the front office.

I always have to remind myself that the front office can't be as emotional about these things as we are as fans, and they know 100000 times more about football and these players specifically than we ever will. All you can do is look at your teams track record with building a roster, the transactions they've made, and hope they know what they're doing.

The bottom line is 9 times out of 10 these types of transactions never amount to anything at all. I remember losing my mind about the 49ers signing Ricardo Lockette from Seattles PS. I was positive this guy would come back to bite us in the arse every game we faced SF. Then kept hearing about the bond he developed with CK, and how highly Harbaugh thinks of him, and my fears were about to be realized. SF goes through a rash of injuries and the guy still can't even get on the field. I also remember thinking years ago that Seattle was INSANE for trading Darrel Jackson to an inter division team. Again......nothing.

Michael Robinson is about one of the only exceptions I can think of to this. He helped Seattle a ton for a quite a while, but again this is the exception, not the rule.

The other thing that I think gets overblown a ton, is the idea that teams sign other teams castoffs for inside information. I've heard coaches comment on this in the past, that any information they may get is negligable, and isn't really any more than they pick up through film study anyway. The exception I've heard coaches say (Mike Holmgren specifically) may be for a QB that has a lot of experience in a system. So even a rookie QB wouldn't be able to offer too much.

If it were such a huge advantage, teams would just make a practice of keeping one roster spot open and sign a player off their opponents practice squad every week for insider information.

Good post
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by SoCold:

Next question.
If I may? Sometimes, my dog SoCold is just so damn Cold that he is abrupt in his rationale. And this is because he is solely predicated in an endeavor to make a point to you, fellow colleague of da Webzone. So, let me put it to you like this....

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Who didn't ?

May be just about the whole world other than two guys named Baalke and Harbaugh perhaps ?

What a joke !!

Alternatively, two guys named Baalke and Harbaugh, who happen to know Daniels better than we do, did not care if the SeaHawks picked up Daniels up.

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I am not sure on who!!!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Alternatively, two guys named Baalke and Harbaugh, who happen to know Daniels better than we do, did not care if the SeaHawks picked up Daniels up.

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I am not sure on who!!!!

Who cares ?! Either you agree or you don't with the move. Is as simple as that !!

Good job Trent & Jim !! Love you guys, man !!
Share 49ersWebzone