LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Jerry Rice says consulting with 49ers' young receivers would be ‘fantastic'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
Yorks don't want any of the Eddy D.people around.
Jed York talks to Eddy D on a regular basis.

That seems to be the York that matters at this point.
Originally posted by cciowa:
this times infinity.rice would get pissed when he finds out not everyone has his drive and mental toughness,. That is not a knock on any of our guys playing for us . I feel bad for him that he misses the game so much he is using an eager media and a sentimental fan base to drive this "story',, which actually has no legs to it in my opinion

I think you're going too far with this. It is likely that he was simply responding to a question the media asked him. "Jerry would you be open to mentoring the young 49er WRs?"

I didn't see anything in the story to indicate that Rice went out of his way to volunteer his services. He DEFINITELY doesn't want to be any type of coach as he said himself that he believes coaches "don't have a life" and that he dedicated enough of his life to football already.

Rice does indeed have a healthy ego but I think you're laying it on quite a bit thicker than it really is.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 190836:
Yorks don't want any of the Eddy D.people around.
Jed York talks to Eddy D on a regular basis.

That seems to be the York that matters at this point.

Talking to his uncle doesn't mean that he is following his path. I can understand that, but to totally ignore our past hero's desire to help is unacceptable.
Rice might be a terrible teacher or a great one...no one on this board knows. Is he capable of nurturing talent? Or would he be disdainful when players couldn't understand?

As much as I liked Rice the player I don't trust that he would be a great teacher. Should the team give him a listen? Definitely! But don't expect much. As for their current WR coach(s), not sure what they are doing or whether it's the scheme...don't see enough improvement in players like KW. He should be a great route runner by now.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM ]
Pattons interested

@PattonBoy_11 Where? When? I'm there! RT @INDlVlDUAL : .@PattonBoy_11  what would you say to @JerryRice  if he asked if you wanted to train and learn route running techniques?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Pattons interested

@PattonBoy_11 Where? When? I'm there! RT @INDlVlDUAL : .@PattonBoy_11 �what would you say to @JerryRice �if he asked if you wanted to train and learn route running techniques?

I love his attitude and optimism. Sharp contrast from others from the past
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I love his attitude and optimism. Sharp contrast from others from the past

Hes left a good impression with me so far watching and reading about him, whether it was that god awful dance that has left me scarred or showing up early for camp im not sure.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by cciowa:
this times infinity.rice would get pissed when he finds out not everyone has his drive and mental toughness,. That is not a knock on any of our guys playing for us . I feel bad for him that he misses the game so much he is using an eager media and a sentimental fan base to drive this "story',, which actually has no legs to it in my opinion

I think you're going too far with this. It is likely that he was simply responding to a question the media asked him. "Jerry would you be open to mentoring the young 49er WRs?"

I didn't see anything in the story to indicate that Rice went out of his way to volunteer his services. He DEFINITELY doesn't want to be any type of coach as he said himself that he believes coaches "don't have a life" and that he dedicated enough of his life to football already.

I agree.

I said earlier I think this is a non-story, and I'm basing that on two things:
1. his statement was probably reactionary -- a response to a question, rather than him taking initiative.
2. even if he does help, he's not going to commit to much.
Man if Baldwin doesn't talk to Jerry and run the hill I will hate him forever!

- the webzone
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Man if (insert random receiver) doesn't talk to Jerry and run the hill I will hate him forever!

- the webzone

fixed.

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Pattons interested

@PattonBoy_11 Where? When? I'm there! RT @INDlVlDUAL : .@PattonBoy_11 what would you say to @JerryRice if he asked if you wanted to train and learn route running techniques?
Thats the attitude a person should have. I like it!
Originally posted by trellblaze:

Rice does indeed have a healthy ego but I think you're laying it on quite a bit thicker than it really is.

This is probbly very true IMHO. Rice, I'm safely guessing, has been in talks with our own coaching staff and probably knows they would be open to such consultation as well but it's on both parties to seal a deal. All that said, this is much ado about nothing. I'll believe it when I see it but no question, we need someone in here who can teach these WR's how to beat press coverage within the first few steps (Jerry's TOTAL career was built within the first couple steps).
I've seen talk like this about Jerry Rice working with our guys several times since he retired, with Nolan and Singletary and Harbaugh. I have yet to see anything.

And even if he did, I don't see it amounting to much. No idea if he'd be a good coach, and our young WRs have had a chance to be around top receivers in Boldin, Crabtree, and Randy Moss. If the talent and work ethic isn't there, it's simply not going to happen. We wouldn't see some miraculous improvement from our receiving corp.

Our WR situation will be salvaged if Jon Baldwin can step up until Manningham and/or Crabtree arrive to contribute.
Question...

Does Jim want Rice working with our guys?

What does this say about his WR coach if we have to go technically outside the organization to teach our guys better technique and work effort?

Do you think the GOAT is going to work for FREE?!

I just think this is a non-story in so many ways... As dear and near as legends are to our heart they aren't always the best option for being a coach. If that was the case Aikman would be the HC of the Cowboys and not his ex-backup QB.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Question...

Does Jim want Rice working with our guys?

What does this say about his WR coach if we have to go technically outside the organization to teach our guys better technique and work effort?

Do you think the GOAT is going to work for FREE?!

I just think this is a non-story in so many ways... As dear and near as legends are to our heart they aren't always the best option for being a coach. If that was the case Aikman would be the HC of the Cowboys and not his ex-backup QB.

This is my view as well, nicely stated!
Share 49ersWebzone