There are 267 users in the forums

Our coaching staff is too arrogant....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
How many out routes have we completed? How many comeback/curl routes have you seen us run? How many slants have we tried? How many screens have you seen us run vs blitzes? how many end arounds or reverses have we ran vs an over-pursuing run defense? These are all standard Football plays which for some reason seldom get called....

Yeah our staff is really stubborn with the playcalling...........

I also see a lot of long developing routes, very few short/quick hitter type setup plays, no slants, screens...etc. It's like Harbaugh wants them to play Lindy Infante football, right down to the use of the fullback in the passing game downfield. The more I look at this offense, the more it seems like Harbaugh doesn't know what identity he wants, there's a bit of the WCO, a bit of the read option style offense, a bit of the Infante offense, some of Bo's offense at Michigan, and meanwhile you've got Roman who's playcalling is incredibly erratic and all I see is chaos and lack of consistency.

In fact, the more I see this offense, the more and more I'm reminded of the Colts under Infante, with Harbaugh trying to turn this team into that offense and Kaepernick into himself as a player.

OH MY GOD....Yesterday after the loss I was praying Kap doesn't become Don "MajicMan" Majkowski of this generation(for those who don't know Majowski was a 80's QB who had early success and the media "crowned " him the next star prematurely).....Lindy was his coach....I need a drink!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Two years. First two game losing streak of the Harbaugh era. Yeah, they suck.

You like what you've seen from the playcalling this season so far?
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
OH MY GOD....Yesterday after the loss I was praying Kap doesn't become Don "MajicMan" Majkowski of this generation(for those who don't know Majowski was a 80's QB who had early success and the media "crowned " him the next star prematurely).....Lindy was his coach....I need a drink!

You don't have to look far beyond Lindy Infante and Bo Schembechler to find the influences for this offense. Lately its been far more Infante-style offense, all the stuff people criticized about Lindy's offenses are the things that people have been criticizing the 49ers for lately. When Lindy's offense worked, it could create some major fireworks, when it didn't................well, the result was much like what we see yesterday. Throw in that Roman is nowhere near as competent calling passing plays as Infante was and there you go.

Also I don't think the Majkowski comparison applies, his career fell apart after he tore his rotator cuff, not necessarily just performance decline out on the field.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM ]
Something is definitely wrong with our coaching staff when they failed to land Peyton freaking Manning. Manning probably didn't like how stubborn our coaches are. He was probably going to be forced to run Harbaugh and Roman's offense.

Can you believe it? He chose John Fox over Harbs and company and at the time, Denver was a crappy team compared to our NFC championship team.

It has to make you wonder how these guys are in real life.

You'd think the season is over already with the funeral procession going on in here this week.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
the pitch forks are out, lol
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Something is definitely wrong with our coaching staff when they failed to land Peyton freaking Manning. Manning probably didn't like how stubborn our coaches are. He was probably going to be forced to run Harbaugh and Roman's offense.

Can you believe it? He chose John Fox over Harbs and company and at the time, Denver was a crappy team compared to our NFC championship team.

This is b******t........to be kind. There's no telling what happened with the Manning situation, all that we do know is that Denver rolled out the red carpets for him, offered him an insane amount of money and basically gave him veto power over the offense. Why would anyone turn that down? I don't believe that any other team could have competed with Denver on what they were offering, especially on the financial part. Also, Denver was a playoff team at the time, one with a loaded defense and good players on offense.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Over their tenure here, this staff has adjusted very well. The playoffs are a great indicator. They were far better in the second half of every game.

This year is different though. They've gone to a pass-first mentality with a team that is built to run, and has no healthy quality receivers outside Boldin.

My question is this: why can't they use Hunter in the passing game a la Sproles? Why trade for Baldwin and not play him when he's clearly the biggest and strongest receiver on the team outside Boldin?

Or play James a la Sproles. Get him on some screen passes.

Slow down fellas, slow down... I like the ideas and they sound great. HOWEVER, in order to do any of that, Harbonehead/RoBlow/Fangina/BS needs to get their heads out of their butts and that right there is a much bigger task that any one of us can imagine. They are flat out getting out coached and out smarting themselves with stupid and/or weak schemes.

From what I remember, Peyton said he didn't want to face his brother on a regular basis.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

stop gossiping

Definitely arrogant, but an easy fix.

Pound the rock, use play action and once may be twice a game try something unique. Kaep needs to just calm down and not try to win the game with everythrow, he is throwing hay makers when he need to set up the jab first.

All these corrections are easy, especially since they have done it before. As my chemistry teacher said; KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

LOL! Yes, they are so lame...bet they don't win more than ten games this year.

In 1994 the 49ers got blown out in week 5 @PHI, and the fans about booing Seifert and Young out the door. Anyone remember what happened after that?

People on this site are so shortsighted its embarrassing.
Kudos to Peyton Manning, looks like he made the right choice.

Clearly, there is a disconnect between what plays Greg Roman thinks will succeed, and the result of that play. Defenses are crashing the gaps and disrupting our blocking schemes before they can start. Of course, crashing gaps leave defenses vulnerable to screens, draws, and traps, but we haven't called many. Against the Colts, we threw one bubble screen to Hunter.

I have no idea why Roman went away from the I formation that was successful early in the Colt's game.

Kaep, with his strong arm and sculpted physique, wants to go mano e mano against an opponent. So if he can throw a laser pass 20 yards down field, he much prefers to beat you with his strength. I remember in the Superbowl, Flaco lobbed a couple of bombs and let his receiver adjust to the ball. I've never seen Kaep throw a true lob pass deep. Most are throws that arrive on a roop. Last week, Wilson lobbed a throw to Lynch that went for a walk in TD. Hopefully, as Kaep matures, he will use all the throwing trajectories available to a QB.

As was said earlier, we haven't seen many slants or quick 3 step drop and throw passes. The longer passes that Kaep favors, and may audible into, require a 5 step drop, and more time to develop. Kaep was sacked 3 or 4 times against the Colts. Each one killed a drive. Either the 49ers are too confident about their vaunted offensive line, or Kaep is allowed to make the subset of throws that he likes to make. In contrast, Luck, who also has a big arm threw quick, 3 step drops, and rarely had a pass completion over 10 yards. The 25 yard gain to Reggie Wayne came off a 2 yard reception. That was Alex Smith's formula.

No matter how breathtaking Kaeps laser throws, if those are the only throws he can make, it makes the job of the secondary easier. As Kaep matures and can be accurate with all the throws, than he will be the nightmare for defenses that Roman and Harbaugh think he is right now.

In the Colt game, he often had receivers out of the backfield open in the flat, but by the time he checked through all his reads, someone on the D was converging on the wide open running back. Plus, Kaep's touch throws lack accuracy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This is b******t........to be kind. There's no telling what happened with the Manning situation, all that we do know is that Denver rolled out the red carpets for him, offered him an insane amount of money and basically gave him veto power over the offense. Why would anyone turn that down? I don't believe that any other team could have competed with Denver on what they were offering, especially on the financial part. Also, Denver was a playoff team at the time, one with a loaded defense and good players on offense.

I like when you do this Phoenix because it means I don't have to. Also, until Manning wins them a SB there 20 mil a year is just going towards bringing in more ticket and jersey sales. Manning is a great regular season QB but let's face it he isn't the most clutch in the playoffs. His brother is not 1/2 the regular season QB he but has managed to win 2 SB's because he is a heck of a lot more clutch especially in the playoffs. All those years the Colts won 12 or more games and only 1 SB win to show for it. Eli has 2 with 6 less years under his belt. Tebow got the Broncos to the playoffs and the result was the same, one and done. Don't get me wrong Peyton is one of the top regular season QB's ever but his playoff record is 9-11 with 8 1 and dones. Kap got us to the super bowl. Not saying Peyton can't win them a SB just that let's wait before crowning the Broncos front office for winning him. Keep in mind too like Phoenix said they rolled out the red carpet and we couldn't afford 20 mil a year. Would have meant losing guys like Brooks and Rogers. Doesn't seem like Rogers would have been a bad thing now but at the time we went into 2012 with I think Brown, Culliver, Cox and Brock. Would have been pretty thin. Also, keep in mind with him making 20 mil for 5 years these next 4 maybe we couldn't have extended Bowman, Anthony Davis, and some of the guys we will in the next few years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone