LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

A Little Perspective, Please?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Only 5 teams? Now i'm more depressed then before i opened this thread.

2 Teams won the super bowl after losing it, lots of teams have made it back to the playoffs multiple times after losing the super bowl
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
-terry bradshaw
-joe montana
-troy aikman
-tom brady
-eli manning

Kaepernick doesnt look like a NFL caliber quarterback at the moment let alone a hall of famer.

How many QBs are hall of fame caliber in their first 12 starts? Did you know that Montana, Aikman, Brady, Bradshaw, and Manning would ALL be hall of famers in their first 12 starts? If so, you've got quite a football mind and should probably be in someone's front office...
Great post
-terry bradshaw
-joe montana
-troy aikman
-tom brady
-eli manning

Kaepernick doesnt look like a NFL caliber quarterback at the moment let alone a hall of famer.

Luck had only 164 passing yards Sunday, but boy, did he look like the real deal.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
-terry bradshaw
-joe montana
-troy aikman
-tom brady
-eli manning

Luck had only 164 passing yards Sunday, but boy, did he look like the real deal.

Its not like running the ball helped him or nothing. Our coaches have gone full retard and its infecting the players.
Oh well I tried. I guess the knee jerkers will keep jerkin' the knees. I wonder what the outlook will be IF we blast the Rams 55 - 0? Will the coaching staff be geniuses again? Will Kaepernick be the best QB of alltime again? Will Gore be Walter Payton reborn? Guess we'll find out in a few days...
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I am a fifty year old 49er fan. I watched Joe Montana win his first Superbowl in front of an old 20 inch color TV in the recreation room at Homan Hall at Fresno State with fifty other students who had gathered to watch the big game. I lived through the glory years. I lived through the good times and died just a little during the bad times. In the words of the radio announcer from a League of Their Own: "I have seen enough to know I have seen too much."

We're 1-2. We just lost to a team we shouldn't have lost too. We just didn't lose. We got our butts handed to us. Our best pass rusher is a drunk headed off to rehab. Our 2nd year QB looks like he's never seen, let alone thrown, a football before. Our best running back is peeved at his head coach. Our best linebacker got hurt and may miss a few games. Things are looking bad.

I'm here to tell you that I have seen this before. I have seen it all. And I'm here to tell you "don't worry." Things are going to be alright.

In 1982, I watched a Super Bowl defending champion get smashed the following season, shortened by a strike year, where they finished 3-6. "Big deal," you say? "They were on strike!" Well, to be brutally honest, most of the 49ers weren't. Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and many others crossed those picket lines in defiance. End result? A bunch of replacement players smashed their collective teeth in. Montana couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Our defense was swiss cheese.

An even better example came in 1988. The 49ers stumbled out of the gate to a 6-5 start. This included a 9-3 loss to the RAIDERS, people. Think about it! A team comprised of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig and so many others put up a measley three points against THE RAIDERS. Think that made the beat writers happy? There were whispers that Bill Walsh had "lost his touch" as head coach. There were "rumors" that he'd "lost the team."

That '88 team, by the way, would recover and go onto win the Super Bowl. It was Bill's final year. George Seifert replaced him and a year later the 49ers were back in the big game where they proceeded to absolutely DISMANTLE John Elway and the Denver Broncos in the most lopsided Super Bowl ever played.

Don't try to tell me that it was a different game back then. It wasn't. The rules were, for the most part, the same. A pigskin was a pigskin. The QB was still the QB.

The point I'm trying to make here is this: We've stumbled out of the gate to a 1-2 start, just as we did in 1981 when we won our first Super Bowl. And, just like 1981, we've looked terrible to boot.

Don't worry about it. Tomorrow is another day. Jim Harbaugh hasn't forgotten how to coach. Trust me when I tell you that he hasn't "lost the team." CK7 hasn't forgotten how to play the position of QB. Greg Roman is still a fine Offensive Coordinator.

We're 1-2. In the big scheme of things? It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether Seattle won or lost. We can't control what they do. So when a sportscaster makes a snide remark of referring to Seattle's QB as "the best QB in the NFC West," smile a bit and let it roll off your shoulders.

This is a long journey. We're just getting started. Smile. Today is a new day.
I agree with you billbird. I've been a 49er fan since 1960 and have been through a lot of highs and lows. The thing that worries me about this coaching staff is that they seem to be stuck on running the pistol and read option. The league has got it figured out and its time to get back to WCO and run the ball down their throat like they did in the first half yesterday. That's what Bill Walsh would have done and I'm surprised Harbaugh hasn't figured it out yet.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_the_percentage_of_NFL_teams_who_start_1-2_that_make_the_playoffs

We will be watching from home this year.

Originally posted by trellblaze:
Oh well I tried. I guess the knee jerkers will keep jerkin' the knees. I wonder what the outlook will be IF we blast the Rams 55 - 0? Will the coaching staff be geniuses again? Will Kaepernick be the best QB of alltime again? Will Gore be Walter Payton reborn? Guess we'll find out in a few days...

Knee jerkers gunna knee jerk.
how many have won the SB or gone to the SB after being 1 and 3 with 2 division losses?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
You don't need to look so far back into the history books, take the Giants for example, won the Super Bowl in 2011 and couldn't even make the playoffs last year with a 9-7 record. At this point, a 9-7 record might not be too far fetched for the 9ers.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
For you doom/gloom fans who are already calling for firings and major changes...

1974 Steelers (record was 1-1-1. A tie is not a loss but it's not a win either)
1981 49ers (remember these guys?)
1992 Cowboys (started 0-2)
2000 Patriots (started 0-2)
2006 Giants (started 0-2)

The moral of the story? RELAX! It's week three!!! Geez...

'81 9ers: That was the first year everything clicked. We were horrible in '80.
'92 'Boys: Emmitt Smith sat out
'01 Pats: Brady wasn't starting yet

The odds aren't great here. Looking to see improvement.
Has the 49ers Madden Rating dropped from 90?
Oh for f**k's sake! Really guys? Stupid trends like this mean nothing. The team determines its own fate, not some stupid trend.

Remember, they said the Red Sox would never win another World Series.
[ Edited by Byisgod on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_the_percentage_of_NFL_teams_who_start_1-2_that_make_the_playoffs

We will be watching from home this year.

So what? Most teams that start 1-2 are bad. We're a great team but have played poorly.
Share 49ersWebzone