LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

A Little Perspective, Please?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So much of this is childish - bench Kap, Please get a life.
As long as we can win ten games we should get into the playoffs. Hopefully by then we will have Aldon back, Crabs, Ham, Tank etc. I think people are underestimating how beat up we are atm. If we can come out 3-2 after the next two games we should be okay.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I realize that people here are only partially serious....

....but being even partially serious is NUTS.

Even with his struggles, 20-25 teams in the NFL would take Kaep over what they have right now.

This is the kind of stuff that gets our fans called bandwagoneers.
Is it that hard to believe that people are upset? I too think Kaep is the greatest thing to ever happen to the 49ers in a long time, but when you see the other guy that was here for a long time with a 3-0 record. It's hard not to be upset right now. I remember being upset with that same guy when we were winning. Crazy right?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i thought we were over the theory of losing on purpose in order to draft higher. the talk of benching ck is silly as number one,, he is our best quarterback and to bench him would force JH to admit he made a giant mistake and i do not think he is prepared to do that. Ck got along well without davis being involved much last year but I think the niners really did underestimate how much his loss affected us sunday
In a way, it's a really good thing that Alex lost his job in the middle of the season and not in the off season. There would be a lot of people calling for Alex right now if he were still on the roster.
Originally posted by webslinger9er:

Even with his struggles, 20-25 teams in the NFL would take Kaep over what they have right now.

Is it that hard to believe that people are upset? I too think Kaep is the greatest thing to ever happen to the 49ers in a long time, but when you see the other guy that was here for a long time with a 3-0 record. It's hard not to be upset right now. I remember being upset with that same guy when we were winning. Crazy right?

Never said anything about being upset. I'm talking peeps being nuts.

No GM in the NFL would trade Kaepernick for Alex Smith. Wouldn't happen. Two weeks it seems is all it takes for the bandwagon to get a bit lighter.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What I wanna know is, how many teams in the last 20 years went BACK to the playoffs, after losing their Super Bowl??

or

What about teams that loss their Super Bowl and went back to win it the next year??

The only two teams to do it were the 1971 Cowboys and the 1972 Dolphins.

Sounds like it happening again is past due.
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
-terry bradshaw
-joe montana
-troy aikman
-tom brady
-eli manning

Kaepernick doesnt look like a NFL caliber quarterback at the moment let alone a hall of famer.

Neither did Bradshaw or Eli...or at that point Tom Brady.

RELAX.

Peeps around here crack me up with their "the sky is falling" posts.
Yeah, these same bandwagon clones will be saying Kap is the best QB in the league when we get back on track.

Marvin49VeteranPosts: 11,378Originally posted by webslinger9er:Originally posted by Marvin49: I realize that people here are only partially serious.... ....but being even partially serious is NUTS. Even with his struggles, 20-25 teams in the NFL would take Kaep over what they have right now. This is the kind of stuff that gets our fans called bandwagoneers.Is it that hard to believe that people are upset? I too think Kaep is the greatest thing to ever happen to the 49ers in a long time, but when you see the other guy that was here for a long time with a 3-0 record. It's hard not to be upset right now. I remember being upset with that same guy when we were winning. Crazy right? Never said anything about being upset. I'm talking peeps being nuts. No GM in the NFL would trade Kaepernick for Alex Smith. Wouldn't happen. Two weeks it seems is all it takes for the bandwagon to get a bit lighter.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174943-must-patient-only-have-one-good/page3/#pAHSTIzBAYVRE4rg.99
Originally posted by webslinger9er:

Never said anything about being upset. I'm talking peeps being nuts.

No GM in the NFL would trade Kaepernick for Alex Smith. Wouldn't happen. Two weeks it seems is all it takes for the bandwagon to get a bit lighter.

Who said anything about trading anyone? I'm just saying there are some people here that thought the other guy deserved his job back and after seeing the story unfold right in front of our eyes, why wouldn't upset fans think of benching CK as dumb as it may seem? Those same eyes probably thought it was dumb for Harbaugh to stay with CK when Alex was playing well before he was concussed. You don't lose your job due to injury but it's dumb to lose your job for playing poorly for 2 weeks? Now that's just NUTS for someone to even bring up while upset right?

Originally posted by billbird2111:
I am a fifty year old 49er fan. I watched Joe Montana win his first Superbowl in front of an old 20 inch color TV in the recreation room at Homan Hall at Fresno State with fifty other students who had gathered to watch the big game. I lived through the glory years. I lived through the good times and died just a little during the bad times. In the words of the radio announcer from a League of Their Own: "I have seen enough to know I have seen too much."

We're 1-2. We just lost to a team we shouldn't have lost too. We just didn't lose. We got our butts handed to us. Our best pass rusher is a drunk headed off to rehab. Our 2nd year QB looks like he's never seen, let alone thrown, a football before. Our best running back is peeved at his head coach. Our best linebacker got hurt and may miss a few games. Things are looking bad.

I'm here to tell you that I have seen this before. I have seen it all. And I'm here to tell you "don't worry." Things are going to be alright.

In 1982, I watched a Super Bowl defending champion get smashed the following season, shortened by a strike year, where they finished 3-6. "Big deal," you say? "They were on strike!" Well, to be brutally honest, most of the 49ers weren't. Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and many others crossed those picket lines in defiance. End result? A bunch of replacement players smashed their collective teeth in. Montana couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Our defense was swiss cheese.

An even better example came in 1988. The 49ers stumbled out of the gate to a 6-5 start. This included a 9-3 loss to the RAIDERS, people. Think about it! A team comprised of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig and so many others put up a measley three points against THE RAIDERS. Think that made the beat writers happy? There were whispers that Bill Walsh had "lost his touch" as head coach. There were "rumors" that he'd "lost the team."

That '88 team, by the way, would recover and go onto win the Super Bowl. It was Bill's final year. George Seifert replaced him and a year later the 49ers were back in the big game where they proceeded to absolutely DISMANTLE John Elway and the Denver Broncos in the most lopsided Super Bowl ever played.

Don't try to tell me that it was a different game back then. It wasn't. The rules were, for the most part, the same. A pigskin was a pigskin. The QB was still the QB.

The point I'm trying to make here is this: We've stumbled out of the gate to a 1-2 start, just as we did in 1981 when we won our first Super Bowl. And, just like 1981, we've looked terrible to boot.

Don't worry about it. Tomorrow is another day. Jim Harbaugh hasn't forgotten how to coach. Trust me when I tell you that he hasn't "lost the team." CK7 hasn't forgotten how to play the position of QB. Greg Roman is still a fine Offensive Coordinator.

We're 1-2. In the big scheme of things? It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether Seattle won or lost. We can't control what they do. So when a sportscaster makes a snide remark of referring to Seattle's QB as "the best QB in the NFC West," smile a bit and let it roll off your shoulders.

This is a long journey. We're just getting started. Smile. Today is a new day.
I'm 45, I was there too. I actually attended that first Super Bowl in Pontiac, MI. That was a good post and some perspective is a good thing.

The current 49ers are loaded with talent, but this transition to Kaepernick and change in offensive style is significant. They did it to give an octane boost to the offense last year, and that worked, but this year the bloom is off the rose and it's getting stuffed. In the Walsh era, Walsh was simply a better coach than almost everyone else and he consistently out schemed to opposition. Week-in and week-out, regardless of the parts, Walsh's offense was moving the ball and putting points on the board. When the Niners started assembling great defenses to match the offensive production the championships started tumbling in.

Our current Niners have been built the past 5-6 years on stout defense. With Smith the offense went from crappy, to competent, to good, and that got them close to a Super Bowl. The switch to Kaepernick was ballsy and definitely added a quick strike dimension, but as we are seeing, he is backsliding and the surprise of last year's novel attack has worn off.

It's certainly not helping that the Niners don't have great receivers, but Roman isn't in the same universe as Bill Walsh in terms of giving his team a consistent advantage to win every week. Kaepernick, I'm not sold on yet. Too much windup on his rocket launch passes and not enough reading and audibles and making a team pay with QB smarts like Montana, Young, and to a lesser extent, Smith. For the Niners to succeed with Kaepernick I think they need a stable of excellent receivers the way the Miami Dolphins did with Dan Marino. Find guys who can get separation, and then just let Kaepernick fire them the ball.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I am a fifty year old 49er fan. I watched Joe Montana win his first Superbowl in front of an old 20 inch color TV in the recreation room at Homan Hall at Fresno State with fifty other students who had gathered to watch the big game. I lived through the glory years. I lived through the good times and died just a little during the bad times. In the words of the radio announcer from a League of Their Own: "I have seen enough to know I have seen too much."

We're 1-2. We just lost to a team we shouldn't have lost too. We just didn't lose. We got our butts handed to us. Our best pass rusher is a drunk headed off to rehab. Our 2nd year QB looks like he's never seen, let alone thrown, a football before. Our best running back is peeved at his head coach. Our best linebacker got hurt and may miss a few games. Things are looking bad.

I'm here to tell you that I have seen this before. I have seen it all. And I'm here to tell you "don't worry." Things are going to be alright.

In 1982, I watched a Super Bowl defending champion get smashed the following season, shortened by a strike year, where they finished 3-6. "Big deal," you say? "They were on strike!" Well, to be brutally honest, most of the 49ers weren't. Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and many others crossed those picket lines in defiance. End result? A bunch of replacement players smashed their collective teeth in. Montana couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Our defense was swiss cheese.

An even better example came in 1988. The 49ers stumbled out of the gate to a 6-5 start. This included a 9-3 loss to the RAIDERS, people. Think about it! A team comprised of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig and so many others put up a measley three points against THE RAIDERS. Think that made the beat writers happy? There were whispers that Bill Walsh had "lost his touch" as head coach. There were "rumors" that he'd "lost the team."

That '88 team, by the way, would recover and go onto win the Super Bowl. It was Bill's final year. George Seifert replaced him and a year later the 49ers were back in the big game where they proceeded to absolutely DISMANTLE John Elway and the Denver Broncos in the most lopsided Super Bowl ever played.

Don't try to tell me that it was a different game back then. It wasn't. The rules were, for the most part, the same. A pigskin was a pigskin. The QB was still the QB.

The point I'm trying to make here is this: We've stumbled out of the gate to a 1-2 start, just as we did in 1981 when we won our first Super Bowl. And, just like 1981, we've looked terrible to boot.

Don't worry about it. Tomorrow is another day. Jim Harbaugh hasn't forgotten how to coach. Trust me when I tell you that he hasn't "lost the team." CK7 hasn't forgotten how to play the position of QB. Greg Roman is still a fine Offensive Coordinator.

We're 1-2. In the big scheme of things? It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether Seattle won or lost. We can't control what they do. So when a sportscaster makes a snide remark of referring to Seattle's QB as "the best QB in the NFC West," smile a bit and let it roll off your shoulders.

This is a long journey. We're just getting started. Smile. Today is a new day.

Thanks for the post Bill. It lifted my spirits. I get depressed when the team I love loses like this.
I too, enjoyed your post very much Bill. I am going to throw one thing into the mix that our early Super Bowl teams had. Eddie D's passion for his team and to win. Perhaps Jed could learn a bit from his Uncle Eddie and start throwing things around and firing folks (only to hire them back). Maybe a jab in the rear to these coaches from a ticked-off boss would stir up the imagination a bit.
Good post Bill. I too have been around long enough to have been through all the ups and downs. But, perspective in NinerTalk? Good luck with that.
I am another 50 year old who has been following and supporting the team since 1988, through the good and then bad times, before the fantastic last two years. But in my opinion, these two years are just gone and we are going to enter into a rebuilding phase again. Alex is gone and has only be partly replaced; Kaep is just not ready for the time being. Frank is obviously in his last year(s). The WR corps needs a total retooling and the secondary, with the exception of Eric Reid, is currently not very efficient. With Aldon Smith and Ian Williams gone, the DL is having trouble as well. If you add to this the injured Culliver, Manningham, Crabtree, Willis and Davis, there is actually not much left from the last two years, except for the O line. The future may still be bright, but I am not very confident for the current season.
Share 49ersWebzone