There are 283 users in the forums

POLL: Is Jim Harbaugh losing control of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL: Is Jim Harbaugh losing control of the team?

• dj43
He might be on the verge. This week will be crucial. If he comes up with another pedestrian game plan and the Rams game goes poorly, this season could go in the tank in a big hurry.

Every team has injuries but good coaches figure out a way to maintain functional levels of performance. The total failure of Harbaugh and Roman to put a reasonable (doesn't need to be great) passing game on the field in excusable, IMO. Yes the receivers are not winning one-on-one battles but the route patterns and combinations they are running are so simple a high school team could defend them. Thursday night Alex Smith completed 3 key 3rd down passes to 3rd string receivers for first downs. Andy Reid had put together some route patterns that allowed even the Bearded Wonder TE to get open. A good coach does that. He figures out how to make the players he has effective. That is what Harbaugh has to do. Dump his tricks and gimmicks and all the movement, and put in plays that let the players he has be successful.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
I understand Franks frustration but i think there's more to blame than the coach, it's kinda hard to run the ball when your in a catch up mode. There are too many things going on in that team and it needs to be settled soon, and the media aint helping either by being an instigator. it is what it is

Catch up mode? It was a one score game into the 4th quarter.
I understand Franks frustration but i think there's more to blame than the coach, it's kinda hard to run the ball when your in a catch up mode. There are too many things going on in that team and it needs to be settled soon, and the media aint helping either by being an instigator. it is what it is

Yea but we have to play to our strengths. The score was 7-10 colts and we went to the read option for runs and the running game died. We should've played to our strengths and trusted the Jumbo packages and Big I packages.
He hasnt lost control. His gameplans need adjusting though. We were still in position to win the game in 4th quarter.

This just in............our WRs are horrible. We just stick our heads in the sand when Crabs went down. Should have seen this coming
Originally posted by rondoman:
I honestly don't think we have one of the best coaching staffs in the league.
Well it sure is difficult to explain how we got 2 Super Bowl runs their first 2 years on the job
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Players will start to lose confidence in the game plan. They're not stupid, they know why it's not working. I hope someone steps up, becomes a leader, and voices their concerns with coaching staff. This cannot continue.

Gore already did

Gore has always been outspoken like that./ He did the same thing during the Falcons game in the playoffs.

The team hasn't lost confidence in Harbaugh or the coaching staff. It makes sense that Gore is b***hing because it's his stats getting hurt when we switch to the read option. He wants Jumbo I every snap. Harbaugh needs to get to what works. Plain and simple. If he doesn't then it's not going to matter what the players think because Baalke will have no problem shuffling things around.

Do you really think Gore gives two s**ts about stats at this point in his career? He wants a ring.

We work best when the offense functions through Gore. Has been that way since we drafted him and nothing has changed. Gore knows it, the rest of the team knows it, for whatever reason, Harbs and roman havent figured it out.
Originally posted by dj43:
He might be on the verge. This week will be crucial. If he comes up with another pedestrian game plan and the Rams game goes poorly, this season could go in the tank in a big hurry.

Every team has injuries but good coaches figure out a way to maintain functional levels of performance. The total failure of Harbaugh and Roman to put a reasonable (doesn't need to be great) passing game on the field in excusable, IMO. Yes the receivers are not winning one-on-one battles but the route patterns and combinations they are running are so simple a high school team could defend them. Thursday night Alex Smith completed 3 key 3rd down passes to 3rd string receivers for first downs. Andy Reid had put together some route patterns that allowed even the Bearded Wonder TE to get open. A good coach does that. He figures out how to make the players he has effective. That is what Harbaugh has to do. Dump his tricks and gimmicks and all the movement, and put in plays that let the players he has be successful.

Excellent post.

Good coaches set up plays around their personnel to maximize their effectiveness and put them in situations to succeed.

Harbaugh seems to have a gameplan he runs regardless of who the players are which puts the offense in bad situations more times than not.
  • Veteran

Well said.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
catch up mode? Niners were in all those games first two quarters. They gave up on Gore early like they did in falcons and SB game and when we went back to run what do you know it worked. Gore has all the reason and right in the world because he is correct. This isn't kaps team or a passing team.
  • dj43
Originally posted by barrymartin:
If players are not 100% bought in to the coaching staffs philosophy, that is the beginning of the end most times.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves. We lost two games. Yes, there are major problems, but we went deep in the playoffs the last two years. We have one of the best coaching staffs in the league. Everyone knows that. I don't think any of the players are going to start checking out because of two bad games. Let's try to avoid the chicken little syndrome. Yeah it could be a s**tty year, with no playoffs. That doesn't mean the team is sailing off a cliff.

I agree with you and have said so in the forum on a number of occasions. Harbaugh has been on a honeymoon because he was so much better than Singletary/Nolan.

The truth is, he inherited an absolutely loaded team that could have won 10 games minimum with me coaching it. Initially his gimmicks and tricks won some games, however, as always happens, the league studies the new stuff and figures out how to defeat it. Now all those tricks are covered and Harbaugh does not appear to know how to move to the next level. He appears stuck in his own time machine. Until he shows a willingness and ability to adapt, there will be more days like today. Today should never have happened.

• dugo
  • Veteran

Absolutely..great post.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Players will start to lose confidence in the game plan. They're not stupid, they know why it's not working. I hope someone steps up, becomes a leader, and voices their concerns with coaching staff. This cannot continue.

Gore already did

Gore has always been outspoken like that./ He did the same thing during the Falcons game in the playoffs.

The team hasn't lost confidence in Harbaugh or the coaching staff. It makes sense that Gore is b***hing because it's his stats getting hurt when we switch to the read option. He wants Jumbo I every snap. Harbaugh needs to get to what works. Plain and simple. If he doesn't then it's not going to matter what the players think because Baalke will have no problem shuffling things around.

Do you really think Gore gives two s**ts about stats at this point in his career? He wants a ring.

We work best when the offense functions through Gore. Has been that way since we drafted him and nothing has changed. Gore knows it, the rest of the team knows it, for whatever reason, Harbs and roman havent figured it out.

exactly he wants the ring always has Gore is most humble player in this team and hardest working
Well it sure is difficult to explain how we got 2 Super Bowl runs their first 2 years on the job

Took the league by surprise. Snuck up on teams. Stayed relatively healthy. Plenty of teams go on deep runs without having what others consider a great coaching staff.

Harbaugh has a short shelf life IMO now that teams have caught on to our game plan and his unwillingness to adjust. Hope I'm wrong but it's the feeling I get.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
If players are not 100% bought in to the coaching staffs philosophy, that is the beginning of the end most times.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves. We lost two games. Yes, there are major problems, but we went deep in the playoffs the last two years. We have one of the best coaching staffs in the league. Everyone knows that. I don't think any of the players are going to start checking out because of two bad games. Let's try to avoid the chicken little syndrome. Yeah it could be a s**tty year, with no playoffs. That doesn't mean the team is sailing off a cliff.

I agree with you and have said so in the forum on a number of occasions. Harbaugh has been on a honeymoon because he was so much better than Singletary/Nolan.

The truth is, he inherited an absolutely loaded team that could have won 10 games minimum with me coaching it. Initially his gimmicks and tricks won some games, however, as always happens, the league studies the new stuff and figures out how to defeat it. Now all those tricks are covered and Harbaugh does not appear to know how to move to the next level. He appears stuck in his own time machine. Until he shows a willingness and ability to adapt, there will be more days like today. Today should never have happened.

Amazingly put. 100% agree.

Catch up mode? We weren't down by 2 scores till the 4th quarter!!!
Share 49ersWebzone