LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Frank was a beast today. He might not have top speed or acceleration but that has never been his game. He fought for every yard. The colts just started stacking the box when they realized they could play man to man on our WRs and not need help.

Exact same story in Seattle. This offense has been figured out completely. Time for major adjustments. HarRoman are going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to get this team ready to play STL.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
One silver lining - GB & ATL (superbowl contenders) are 1-2 same as us.

Way too early in the season.
Gore 11/82. Hunter and Gore combined for 4 carries in the second half.

Gore is just fine.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
OR

We could've just kept MarQuise Gray...who was very impressive in the preseason.

We cut or traded guys we should have kept I guess.
for a while now.

Not really...it was Soap's time to move on

RJF got 22 million dollars...Niners said no thank you

Walker got 18 million...once again no thank you

Goldson got 40 million...a huge no thank you

The only player I believe we gave up on too early was Alex...and I stand by that.

not talking about salary cap decisions.

Gray
Cam Johnson (Seattle stacks up on pass rushers and it has payed off for them with their other injuries...we on the other had keep Special team "Aces")
Ginn- for special teams and speed on the outside

wish we could've speedsters who could get separation just with their speed or threat of their speed... Owusu or Ricardo Lockette.... again we are struggling to get separation...most of our receivers don't have elite speed..... it would be nice to have at least one guy who might stretch the field.

Trading Haralson to NO for a 7th rounder was completely asinine.
Thanks Marvin. They showed overhead views of the offense and the receivers had no separation on many plays. Kyle Williams was the only receiver that had any receptions from last year - 14.
Are you seriously still making excuses for Kap? Dude as absolutely dreadful. He had open check downs throughout the game.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well, Hunter was kinda busy getting hit in the backfield.

Lets put it this way...I'd LOVE to be wrong and I'd like to see Frank play forever at a high level...I just don't think it's gonna happen. He had some nice runs today.

IMO opinion tho, I think Hunter needs more carries. I'm sure peeps here are gonna disagree and jump all over me...but that's how I see it.

Kind of proved by point... Gore was gashing the Colts in the first half. Hunter was being stuffed in the backfield. Now why should Gore give up the limited carries for a guy not cutting it so far this year? Now is Gore going to play at a high level forever, of course not. But he has yet to show a decline in production so why limited him because well someday he might not be as good so might as well start now.

Right..because it was Kendalls fault he was getting hit in the backfield. Gore would have just used his disappear juice and the defender would have been gone.

SMH

I'm done arguing. I see what I see. You are free to disagree.
Marvin remember when I said last week that its not only the scheme but personnel?

again this week, with Vernon out for the game, we made a choice of activating a new player...a FB..supposedly for special teams sake...although I don't know who on special teams he replaced this week.

We already struggled with both Boldin and Vernon last week....so you would think with Vernon not out there we would struggle more. So why not add an offensive weapon like Baldwin who adds size and speed if anything else....a threat to the outside maybe.

or if Vernon is not going to be out there, and we are going to need to move McDonald to Vernon's spot...which leaves McDonald's old spot to Celek...well, why didn't we activate Chris Harper to spell Walker/McDonald's role....while again McDonald is replacing Vernon.

we have a 6'5 220lb 33 year old Vet WR running down field covering punts.....he is also taking up an active roster spot, that could go to a receiver who could help the offense.

I really don't know what the coaches are doing anymore.

Bottomline is, there isn't another WR or TE on the roster who are a real offensive threat. There was a graphic early in the game where they showed Atlanta as the team with the best holdover of WR productivity last year and the Niners as the worst. We have to face it. Boldin is all we have at WR. Kyle Williams is a 4 at best and Patton is a rookie learning the game. Without VD we don't have a chance. This is going to be a very long season unless Manningham comes back and becomes an instant strong factor. I nope this happens, but don't expect it to.
Yea your point bout Hunter really makes know sense. And at somepoint we just can't overlook the fact that when they go to a 4 man front they are being exposed defensively. Been that way since the 2nd half of the Pats game. We talked about rotations on defensive front all off season. Season starts and there isn't any capable rotational players in sight. 2nd half of games the defense has been getting gashed by runs A lot of bone head penalties today magnified the issue
  • We have faced 3 playoff opponents to start the season
  • Culliver, Crabtree, Manningham and James all injured to start the season, followed by Vernon Davis, Ian Williams.
  • That is two of Kap's top 4 targers missing from the offense, and 3/4 today.
  • One of these games was an automatic loss, as no one goes up to Seattle and beats the Seahawks.

There have been a lot of things going against us to start the season. Now, Aldon and Willis might be out for an extended period of time. AND we're going to St. Louis to take on the Rams on a shortened week. Things aren't looking good now, but not much more can go wrong at this point. I hate to blame it on the football gods bending us over and giving it to us raw, but we've had s**t luck so far.

I'm not gonna sit here and say things are going to get better because for all we know Kap could get a concussion next week and Justin Smith could tear an ACL. I'm just saying this 1-2 record does not represent how good this team is.

We have the softest part of our schedule coming up in a couple weeks, and that's hopefully when we'll be getting back most of our players from injury. It's a long season.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Lets stop looking at his career numbers and focus on now...

53 completions
94 attempts
54.57 pct
689 yards
3 TD's
4 INTS
8 Sacks
2 Fumbles
64.5 rating

That's fair...just did it because I am trying to get a full 16 game look in week 9. I do it every week (and also did it with Alex) and I had no complaints when he was great after week 1.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea your point bout Hunter really makes know sense. And at somepoint we just can't overlook the fact that when they go to a 4 man front they are being exposed defensively. Been that way since the 2nd half of the Pats game. We talked about rotations on defensive front all off season. Season starts and there isn't any capable rotational players in sight. 2nd half of games the defense has been getting gashed by runs A lot of bone head penalties today magnified the issue

I'm glad it makes know sense.

No worries...just my opinion of the way the players look on the field. Not based on the numbers thus far.
You play the hand your dealt.

JH signed off on Roman's game plan. He better go to the "Vault" for some Bill Walsh WCO ideas for this game with the Rams.
My thoughts:
indy looks revitalized and good to go. More worried about them than I am the texans.

Other thoughts:
You guys are effing hilarious. From the SB and "domination" to complete hysterics at 1&2.
Maybe your coach and QB should focus on football instead of starring in every other effing commercial on TV.
Maybe they could also stop b***hing and moaning and making excuses... Actually I can't even blame kaep for that, it starts at the top but, dude, put some clothes on and play ball.

Good luck (ouch) next week Niner fans.

Go Hawks!

Dang, it noisy up in hur.
[ Edited by Squatch on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM ]
And the special teams return game is ugly. Cox is the worst kickoff returner in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone