There are 235 users in the forums

2013 - Week 3: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners94:
And the receivers suck. Plus Kap needs to keep on growing. He's not great at reading the defense yet.

Well, did you hear what Phil Simms said?

"I saw Kaepernick play. And it's not, that he tucks it and runs. It is just nothing there" (to throw to)....

I mean. Kap didnt play great today. But most of the time he did not have much time in the pocket.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Frank was a beast today. He might not have top speed or acceleration but that has never been his game. He fought for every yard. The colts just started stacking the box when they realized they could play man to man on our WRs and not need help.

This is the exact problem.

Our WRs can't get any separation whatsoever, Kap can't throw to anyone because they're all covered, and we can't run the ball anymore because the box is now stacked.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM ]
I want to see if i got this right if harbaugh / roman changed the play calling to running the ball more with gore and hunter to control the clock and then run some creative plays that give our receivers a opportunity for success for example slants things like that to keep the chains moving is that what would help? a different approach rather than just have kaep throw every down miss his target and go 3 and out is that what would help????? i sure think so we would control the offense and our defense wouldn't be burnt out and tired by the 4th qtr this approach is obviously not working all it's causing is 3 and out or very short drives and the defense becomes useless by the 4th qtr cause there worn out thanks to the bad offense they need to make a change NOW they need to get healthy to way to many injuries i feel like there passion just isn't into it this year maybe i'm wrong but the heart and passion i saw these last few years just seems missing.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am not going to reward them for run blocking in one series yesterday the way they should have done in all three games. pass protection has been good, either the wide outs are unable or unwilling to get open or ck holds the ball to long and makes bad decisions. the coaches of course f**ked up by going away from the run. at the risk of garnering the rath of the webzone wolves who drink the bathwater of the coaches,, roman is a f**king moron for going away from the run and of course just as he should have in the super bowl last year, JH should have whacked roman over the head with the clipboard and taken over play calling duties. three incomplete passes, punt. lovely

Not just one series of run blocking. When an opposing D guesses right, they will stuff your run blocks with outnumbering you. Our O has been more and more predictable, and teams are not fearing the great Kaep-arm as many expected them to.

As for receivers getting open, these guys were mainly single covered... so why isn't Kaep giving them a chance or throwing them open, I ask ya?

I agree with you. Kap needs to recognize when initial looks are not working and move around sooner be it in the pocket or take off to run. This will at least allow him to try and get some broken play routes. Right now, the play design is not working.
Thursday i want to see the following on offense.

WR1 - Boldin
WR2 - Hunter
WR3 - (slot) - LMJ
WR4 - Patton

No one on the Rams OR 49ers would know what to think!
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Thursday i want to see the following on offense.

WR1 - Boldin
WR2 - Hunter
WR3 - (slot) - LMJ
WR4 - Patton

No one on the Rams OR 49ers would know what to think!

What about Miller? Oh wait, we already do that! LOL
dbl
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Frank was a beast today. He might not have top speed or acceleration but that has never been his game. He fought for every yard. The colts just started stacking the box when they realized they could play man to man on our WRs and not need help.

This is the exact problem.

Our WRs can't get any separation whatsoever, Kap can't throw to anyone because they're all covered, and we can't run the ball anymore because the box is now stacked.

When deep routes aren't getting open, you have to start trying the following:

1. UTILIZE your outlets in the flats and in the middle of the field.

2. Make use of your fast WRs on WR screens and crossing routes and/or "PICK" plays that are designed to create some room.

3. Commit to the run game. If necessary, spread the field and force the opposing team to cover a 4-wide set and run out of that. If the defense runs a zone read or zone blitz, give CK a run-pass option and allow him to tuck and run if the defense bails in coverage instead of blitzing. If they DO blitz, have him hit the hot read IMMEDIATELY for a big gain.

It's NOT rocket science. The reason the lack of success is SO INFURIATING is because the solution seems SO OBVIOUS right now but we continue to smash our skulls into a brick wall doing the idiotic thing by continuing to do the opposite of what is working.
I said since last year that Boone was the best lineman on the team... quite easily, too... and that's saying a lot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

2. Make use of your fast WRs on WR screens and crossing routes and/or "PICK" plays that are designed to create some room.

3. Commit to the run game. If necessary, spread the field and force the opposing team to cover a 4-wide set and run out of that. If the defense runs a zone read or zone blitz, give CK a run-pass option and allow him to tuck and run if the defense bails in coverage instead of blitzing. If they DO blitz, have him hit the hot read IMMEDIATELY for a big gain.

It's NOT rocket science. The reason the lack of success is SO INFURIATING is because the solution seems SO OBVIOUS right now but we continue to smash our skulls into a brick wall doing the idiotic thing by continuing to do the opposite of what is working.

This! WR's can't get open when they run one or two straight-line routes all game and many of them are deep or all to one side of the field.

Originally posted by Toughniner:
Originally posted by niners94:
And the receivers suck. Plus Kap needs to keep on growing. He's not great at reading the defense yet.

Well, did you hear what Phil Simms said?

"I saw Kaepernick play. And it's not, that he tucks it and runs. It is just nothing there" (to throw to)....

I mean. Kap didnt play great today. But most of the time he did not have much time in the pocket.

I don't expect him to be perfect on every play, but he CAN'T keep bailing after his first two reads are not there. I can't even count how many times he had the two deep routes covered, but a RB in the flat and a TE/WR running a crossing route BOTH WIDE OPEN in the field but he ignored them, scrambling around looking for something deep to become available.

That is NOT good quarterbacking. Your job is to move the team downfield with whatever the defense gives you. He is trying to force things that aren't there and seems incapable of settling for the sure thing.
summary of why each drive failed...
(only noting the sets of plays that lead to a punt/turnover)

1st Q
- nice run Gore for 7 yds
- inc pass on 2nd (either inaccurate, ball was tipped, or Kyle W ran a slightly - different route than expected)
- stuffed run for Hunter... punt

- nice draw to Gore for 5 yds
- stuffed Gore run, 1 yd gain
- good evasion from Kaep as the RE spins inside on Staley for pressure.. throw was decent, but too strong... a little wobbly, and behind Kyle W at sideline. Still needs to be caught... punt

2nd Q

- Franky G run for 3 yds
- false start on 76.
- Kaep has Hunter as relief valve for the blitz.. looking his way, but pulls it down and tries to scramble around for room to run.. Gave up on the deeper routes too soon. He would have been better off continuing to run wide left, but instead cuts it back in. gains 5 yds.. now 3rd and 7
- pass needed to be coming out as soon as Patton made his cut. Instead the throw is a second late and thrown high and outside.. which allows the coverage behind QP to put the jarring hit on. punt

- Gore stuffed for 1 yd gain
- pass pro was there, throw to either 49er receiver (81 and 89) in area was wide and incomplete. VanceMac had steps on an out route vs LB, but Kaep never sees him. now 3rd and 10
- 5 man rush... Kaep has time, but can't find what he likes.. scrambles and then throws to an open Gore over the middle.. pass is off and Gore lunges but can't get hands under it before it hits ground. punt

end Half

3rd Q

- time in pocket.. good throw to VMac for 6 yds
- handoff Gore stuffed, no gain
- time in pocket, Kaep just won't let it go... scrambles runs forward but hesitated long enough to keep him from running for the first down. punt

- read option, and Kaep hesitated to get tackled 5 yds lost... should have handed it to Gore.
- Fake throw, handoff delay for minimal gain... 3rd and 13
- good pocket and quick slant throw to Boldin for 9 yds.. short of the first. punt

4th Q

- pocket was good.. Kaep passes up Boldin wide open over the middle to throw a strike to Celek on a seam route.. inaccurate and incomplete.
- quick-hitter RB screen to HUnter lined up wide... blocking and pursuit allowed minimal gain of 4...
- defense shows blitz but backs off... sent 4.. the LE spins inside of Boone, who was expecting help from Goodwin and didn't get it. Kaep hits back step, hesitates too long, and eats the sack. punt

- one read throw to the sidelines for Boldin, but uncatchable... pass pro was good
- good pocket.. looks like a nice deep pass here to Moore, but a tough catch that should have been made.
- The outside egdes give way here, and Kaep does right by stepping forward... still won't let the ball go though.. and runs left, but is quickly tackled and stripped of the ball.

* and obviously, whatever happens from this point on (3:51 left) is truly meaningless at this point.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frozen49er:
The Colts COULD NOT STOP THE RUN and we refused to stick with the running game.

Why stick with what works, wheres the point in that? Hell, we may have put up 28-35 points by pounding Gore and Hunter all day and worn down their D. Instead, terrible throws, 3 and outs, we get to watch our best LB get hurt because hes on the field so much and we get embarrased at home. Really, what did you want? Run the ball down their throats all day and win?

Kaepernick not Gore is the face of the franchise....deal with it!!

(I hope you guys sense some sarcasm in my reply)
Originally posted by NCommand:

This! WR's can't get open when they run one or two straight-line routes all game and many of them are deep or all to one side of the field.

There are so many things that I just can't sit here and really believe an NFL coaching staff doesn't possibly recognize. I mean, they HAVE to know this right? If they don't, that's a serious problem. If they do, and they're not fixing it... Well, that is STILL a SERIOUS problem. I mean, WTFrrrrick?

There are so many options. Running out of 4 WR sets is a great idea when you've got a QB struggling with the zone blitzes. You have pump n' go/slant and go options if they drop into zone coverage too. Linebacker drops back, CK pump fakes, linebacker bites, WR runs free downfield.

Get this fixed. NOW.
  • thl408
Posters have hit on many points that I share, but just wanted to list the three things I see as the main reasons for the team's struggles. Mainly for therapeutic reasons.

1 - WRs cannot get open. Are the coaches allowing the WR/TE to change their route depending on the coverage they read? There are some offenses that give the freedom for WRs to change their routes depending on their read of what the coverage is. This takes a lot of coordination on the WR and QB, but if done right, it beats coverages. It seems that the WRs have one route to run and that can severely limit the ability to change on the fly.

2 - Kap has very little pocket awareness. When Kap senses pressure, he always tucks and scrambles as opposed to a simple sidestep that would allow him to keep his eyes downfield. Instead, he will tuck and run outside the pocket, successfully evading pressure, but severely limiting his options once he's outside the pocket. His WRs already aren't that good, but now, once outside the pocket, he has cut down the field in half further limiting his options. There's always a spy now, so he never has a clear lane to scramble. There's got to be a hot read open somewhere, on every play, due to the assigned LB spy.

3 - Offensive playcalling has been atrocious. So many have hit on this, but I think the biggest blunder is getting away from traditional run sets. Running out of the pistol just doesn't give the RB a downhill start, which favors power blocking and tough inside the tackles running. With an 8 man box, I get that running between the tackles is harder, but I still feel that with the monsters along the Oline, that they can still consistently gain 4 yards. Then use play action off of that.

A big part of what made this offense effective is that it always outnumbered the opposition in plays ran. This would tire the opposing defense and allow for big run gains in the second half of the game. Simplify the run game by leaning heavily on the sheer physical dominance of the Oline.
Share 49ersWebzone