LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

We need a true nose tackle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
lol, I think I have a thyroid problem. I dont eat much, and gain weight tho. I try to stay far away from fatty foods. I eat veggys, and fruit most of the time. Still gain weight. I see the doctor next week, or week after. Need other things checked out,

Just start mainlining some kelp, you'll be good.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
The team knows that the defense flows thru the NT. The defense has played good. Even before injuries came up, the plugger in the middle would not only allow Willis and Bowman to fill the holes and hold teams to 3 yards MAXX in the ground game, and it took pressure and responsibility off Smith and McDonald so they could occupy their two blockers and allow more rush from the outside. And if we pressured like we have with Aldon, then the offense would slide someone in to help block, which obviously took away a route in passing downs. But that was in 2012 and 2011. Now we give up 5 yards a pop.

On the surface, it looks like the run D is still dominant and it has played better with Dorsey holding the anchor in the last few weeks (Rams, Texans, Cardinals) --and even the Texans could've keep punching with their effective running game-- but its only effective because Justin and RayMac are such dominant players at their position. This cannot be overstated...,>>> They are being relied on way too much and even they are getting beat in the second half of games because teams are going right after them and they cant hold up enough for what their being asked to do.

Remember 2011 run defense? Not a single rushing TD until week 14 or ?? If we had that NT now AND the range we have at FS together wow , watch out.

But No, a few posters look at stats and think we have sufficient enough defenders to stop teams running games, but it wont work down the stretch with Justin and RayMac exhausted from carrying all this weight on the back end of the schedule

Mark my words, its going to happen. Our run D will be our doom if we keep running our dominant DEs into the ground without players to truly spell them and keep them fresh. Im not even sure a healthy Dorsey is enough at NT to keep our Defense elite in December.

A better NT will keep our Justin Smith playing at a high level, but without that right now, no one can tell me any different

All of this is something I was talking about around draft time last year. I think Dorsey has done well, but I'd still be on the lookout for a guy that could potentially dominate at NT. This would help take the pressure off of our DEs. After taking a WR (or two), corner, and safety, we still could take a NT with one of our first 5 picks. In 2014, I can see us having Dorsey, Williams, and a rookie at NT, with Smith, McDonald, Carradine, and Dobbs at DE, with Dial possibly backing up at both positions. Or at least this is how I saw it before I found up Dial was up to 350 pounds lol. If this is the case, then maybe then use that pick on someone who can backup both positions (basically our new Ricky Jean-Francois).

We need talented guys so there isn't much of a drop off when we rotate other D-lineman in. Both Justin and Ray Mac are playing less snaps than they did last season which shows a commitment to not burning the guys out considering the injuries we've had up front on defense. Ideally when our guys is healthy, it would be great it that number were between 60-70% of the snaps for both our starting defensive ends.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
I have a feeling we're all going to be very happy with Dial in Sunday. Have a very good feeling about this guy.
lol, I think I have a thyroid problem. I dont eat much, and gain weight tho. I try to stay far away from fatty foods. I eat veggys, and fruit most of the time. Still gain weight. I see the doctor next week, or week after. Need other things checked out,

My new diet is cardiac related...can't eat carbs and can't seem to fit in enough protein...will have to start chugging protein powder with water or dry. Might turn to cement internally though! LOL. Use to weigh enough to be a small lineman, now I'm a small TE. At least it's going in the right direction. Good luck on that and keep eating those green veggies...no potatoes! Damn!
AB81

Love our fans showing up with you having your back.

Been on the receiving end of severe medical conditions no one can control to the point of death as a child, and have also been both a mediocre athlete. and at times nothing going on, and also an Olympic prospect. I shut it down because my family was afraid, no one shut me down.

Medical things are no joke. You should not discount them. That said, things can get rearranged and you are good to go.

Have faith, live with love, and get the best medical support you can find. And always make a difference and know you have.

Go Niners
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Dial activated.

350 lbs of fun.

Does Dial really weigh that much?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Dial activated.

350 lbs of fun.

He's listed at 318 on the Roster. 49ers.com
Originally posted by 49erWay:
AB81

Love our fans showing up with you having your back.

Been on the receiving end of severe medical conditions no one can control to the point of death as a child, and have also been both a mediocre athlete. and at times nothing going on, and also an Olympic prospect. I shut it down because my family was afraid, no one shut me down.

Medical things are no joke. You should not discount them. That said, things can get rearranged and you are good to go.

Have faith, live with love, and get the best medical support you can find. And always make a difference and know you have.

Go Niners

Thanks man, sucks sometimes. I hate when people make fun of a mental illness or condition. But I am doing just fine. I see my doctor soon, so I hope we find whatever is wrong, and get to correcting it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Just start mainlining some kelp, you'll be good.

lol.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

I heard 350 too.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I really think we need to slide Justin into the NT on running downs and use Dial as the DE. At least until Williams comes back into form, or worse, until Dorsey comes off of the IR in 4 months. He's really the only guy that has the strength and technique to play the position. Although, in interested in seeing how Dial plays there as the preseason progresses. Purcell simply is not going to be the answer.

Dial was a force out there today. If he keeps that up, I'd have no problem with him holding down the NT spot until Williams and Dorsey get back.

Purcell never had a shot at the 53-man imo. He was forced into action with Justin, RayMac, Dorsey, and Williams all out. It's comical he started and played the entire game lol. I'd imagine if this were a real game, we'd have Justin and RayMac available, allowing Dial and TJE to focus more on NT.

Keep an eye out on the waiver wire once pre-season is officially over. Might find a nice prospect for the 53 or PS.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM ]
I really think we need to slide Justin into the NT on running downs and use Dial as the DE. At least until Williams comes back into form, or worse, until Dorsey comes off of the IR in 4 months. He's really the only guy that has the strength and technique to play the position. Although, in interested in seeing how Dial plays there as the preseason progresses. Purcell simply is not going to be the answer.

Man I don't know. Cowboy is a medical anomaly, but I don't know how productive he would be sparring with young stout center/guards. His body isn't really made to hold up blocks.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Man I don't know. Cowboy is a medical anomaly, but I don't know how productive he would be sparring with young stout center/guards. His body isn't really made to hold up blocks.

That would worry me as well. Age and durability are creeping up on him. I'd be really nervous if he were asked to play NT. That's a very physically demanding position. It requires size and weight, not just to clog the lanes, but to withstand the punishment. We already ask a lot of him..adding NT responsibilities seems a bit much.
Either our staff wanted a long look at Purcell or they feel Dial is better suited on the end. NT aren't typically as tall because they need to have a lower center of gravity to dig into the trenches and not get pushed back. As long as Dial can get low enough to play the position, we'll be fine. However, I think it's telling that he wasn't playing it tonight. Again, I hope it was just because we wanted to give Purcell a long look.

That's my hope as well. Dial is taller than your average NT, so leverage could be an issue. But he looked strong as an ox. Held his ground pretty well and used his large frame and long arms to make several plays. Hopefully next game we see him more at NT and see what he can do there.
Share 49ersWebzone