LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

We need a true nose tackle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
well, to be honest, we haven't won s**t in three years. Last year it was Seattle and Indy early in the season sending us to a losing record and IF we would've gotten turnovers in those games, we might have won. But we didn't.

So look at today as kind of "Thank God we got those turnovers, because if those olives don't pop out of that jar, a good running team may kind of come in here and take our lunch like they did last year in the NFCCG.

49ers have made it to 3 straight NFC Championships, I think they're doing something right. The bigger issue last year was not being able to score. Look what Seattle just did to Green Bay. 49ers held their offense down pretty well for the most part. The issue is that its never enough to go for FG's and I'm hoping the coaching staff will grasp that this year.
A win is a win but I'm not putting too much stock into beating Dallas. Garrett has a lot to learn if he's giving Tony Romo the green light against our defense. You're just not going to do your thing against the niners. They may have gotten some yardage on us, but I saw Romo's picks as doing exactly what the defense was baiting him to do.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
well, to be honest, we haven't won s**t in three years. Last year it was Seattle and Indy early in the season sending us to a losing record and IF we would've gotten turnovers in those games, we might have won. But we didn't.

So look at today as kind of "Thank God we got those turnovers, because if those olives don't pop out of that jar, a good running team may kind of come in here and take our lunch like they did last year in the NFCCG.

49ers have made it to 3 straight NFC Championships, I think they're doing something right. The bigger issue last year was not being able to score. Look what Seattle just did to Green Bay. 49ers held their offense down pretty well for the most part. The issue is that its never enough to go for FG's and I'm hoping the coaching staff will grasp that this year.

I can agree with this. I thought that our offense looked pretty good and we didn't even use all of our guys (McDonald, Ellington, and James who got some bad blocking). We just have to find a way to keep our feet on the gas and punch it in. It would be great to see the creativity this offense showed in 2011.

And its going to happen. That's how you are going to beat us. If you can keep your Rb in the game, play a balanced attack, be mistake-free, and then you can hold the TOP, run at 5 yards a pop, you can have some winning success against us. Everyone can see how we give it up to big backs. s**t, Ahmad Bradshaw last year was gashing us. Murray this year is gashing us. I hate seeing it.

Youre right about great defensive plays, by great players. Reid, I love him. Willis is so great. I always liked Cox and wanted to draft him but Denver got him. Im jumping for joy at every great play we make, but we ARE NOT going to get 3 ints a game to help us win the game
This 49er defense was built for stopping the run. With key players out back-ups will have to step up.

And its going to happen. That's how you are going to beat us. If you can keep your Rb in the game, play a balanced attack, be mistake-free, and then you can hold the TOP, run at 5 yards a pop, you can have some winning success against us. Everyone can see how we give it up to big backs. s**t, Ahmad Bradshaw last year was gashing us. Murray this year is gashing us. I hate seeing it.

Youre right about great defensive plays, by great players. Reid, I love him. Willis is so great. I always liked Cox and wanted to draft him but Denver got him. Im jumping for joy at every great play we make, but we ARE NOT going to get 3 ints a game to help us win the game

We have to, have to, have to, figure a way to stop the run. If we do, we are winning the Superbowl. If we cant stop the run, mark my words, Mark f**king Ingram is going to send us into the offseason
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Like I've said this whole Preseason, people were more worried about Blaine Gabbert than the Nose Tackle position and opposite of Patrick Willis. Wilhoite is terrible in coverage and Ian Williams cannot come off his blocks until the RB has blown by him. These two issues need to be corrected or it's gonna be a long season of "WTF's" on defense. Hopefully Quinton Dial can ease my worries next week and a little bit of Chris Borland in the mix also. Fix those two holes and it will be less likely us fans will want to throw our TV out the window, cause that crap was frustrating to see today, it's just not like our defense.
We have to, have to, have to, figure a way to stop the run. If we do, we are winning the Superbowl. If we cant stop the run, mark my words, Mark f**king Ingram is going to send us into the offseason

NT wasn't the problem today. It was a combination of things. I'll have to re-watch the game, but it seemed like we were lining up with a 5 or 6 man box on most plays. Dallas ran the ball effectively, but we didn't respect it. Gameplan was clearly devoted to coverage, and waiting for Romo to inevitably force throws resulting in INTs . That's exactly what happened. Good gameplan.

Navorro Bowman is the biggest loss to our run defense imo. His ability to diagnose, close, fill the gaps, and stop a RB dead in his tracks is missed greatly. We won't be as consistent against the run without him. You just can't replace an elite player like that. Him and Willis are a killer 1-2 combo. Good news is, most teams are not as effective in their zone-blocking run schemes as Dallas. We just have to get our players back and ready to go for the Seattle games.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:
NT wasn't the problem today. It was a combination of things. I'll have to re-watch the game, but it seemed like we were lining up with a 5 or 6 man box on most plays. Dallas ran the ball effectively, but we didn't respect it. Gameplan was clearly devoted to coverage, and waiting for Romo to inevitably force throws resulting in INTs . That's exactly what happened. Good gameplan.

Navorro Bowman is the biggest loss to our run defense imo. His ability to diagnose, close, fill the gaps, and stop a RB dead in his tracks is missed greatly. We won't be as consistent against the run without him. You just can't replace an elite player like that. Him and Willis are a killer 1-2 combo. Good news is, most teams are not as effective in their zone-blocking run schemes as Dallas. We just have to get our players back and ready to go for the Seattle games.

I'll just go ahead and disagree with that, while you re-watch the game.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Like I've said this whole Preseason, people were more worried about Blaine Gabbert than the Nose Tackle position and opposite of Patrick Willis. Wilhoite is terrible in coverage and Ian Williams cannot come off his blocks until the RB has blown by him. These two issues need to be corrected or it's gonna be a long season of "WTF's" on defense. Hopefully Quinton Dial can ease my worries next week and a little bit of Chris Borland in the mix also. Fix those two holes and it will be less likely us fans will want to throw our TV out the window, cause that crap was frustrating to see today, it's just not like our defense.

No I agree. Gabbert is krap and not even worth discussing. We got some key injuries and how we replace them is the real issue. That and getting more TD's.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I'll just go ahead and disagree with that, while you re-watch the game.

Hahaha! Well, I'll have to wait until tomorrow for NFL Rewind to post the game.

A few things, I think Glen Dorsey is a "true" NT, and he'll be back this season along with Aldon and Bowman, ultimately, this D will be better than last year when those guys come back considering how much better our DB is.

Next, I think we're being a bit too hard on Ian Williams, remember, today was his 1st game since week 2 of last year, he had 4 surgeries to correct a devastating injury, he didn't practice/play much in TC/PS. He was the starter over Dorsey last year b4 the injury, give him time, I think he's a lot better than a lot of ppl give him credit for.

The front 7 did a much better job overall, getting pressure especially in the 2nd half & the points & yards the Cowboys put up were greatly padded by the sad excuse for officiating today. With all that said, it was pretty obvious that we need some more burst on the DL, both Dial and Tank seem perfect for that. I can see a situation where the team decides to deactivate either TJE or Dobbs next week & somebody at another position as well in order to activate our 2 young DL. If they are behind mentally & haven't been able to win a job on the DL rotation, then simplifying their roles early on like we did w/Aldon his rookie season may just be the answer.
Originally posted by matt49er:
A few things, I think Glen Dorsey is a "true" NT, and he'll be back this season along with Aldon and Bowman, ultimately, this D will be better than last year when those guys come back considering how much better our DB is.

Next, I think we're being a bit too hard on Ian Williams, remember, today was his 1st game since week 2 of last year, he had 4 surgeries to correct a devastating injury, he didn't practice/play much in TC/PS. He was the starter over Dorsey last year b4 the injury, give him time, I think he's a lot better than a lot of ppl give him credit for.

The front 7 did a much better job overall, getting pressure especially in the 2nd half & the points & yards the Cowboys put up were greatly padded by the sad excuse for officiating today. With all that said, it was pretty obvious that we need some more burst on the DL, both Dial and Tank seem perfect for that. I can see a situation where the team decides to deactivate either TJE or Dobbs next week & somebody at another position as well in order to activate our 2 young DL. If they are behind mentally & haven't been able to win a job on the DL rotation, then simplifying their roles early on like we did w/Aldon his rookie season may just be the answer.

Agree 100%.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by matt49er:

Whether I'm being hard on Ian Williams or not, it was not a good showing today of him. Sure he's coming off of injury and hasn't practiced all that much, that's the main reason why I've said this whole off season that another NT is needed. Mike Purcell who was getting most of the reps at NT this past Preseason was not the answer and did nothing but take up snaps that will only put him back on the practice squad. I also felt that Dial would be better utilized at RE, but now I have to rethink what I've said in the past and think Dial should be ROTATED in with Williams. I'm not calling for Williams' head but more of a rotation on running downs needs to be made. Also DeMarcus Dobbs needs to be put on the shelf for Carradine, I have no doubt he'll improve the pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone