LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

What's More Important for Our Success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok guys we all know Justin Smith can't play forever and that we'll eventually need to find his replacement. We know how much of a stud Aldon is but his off the field troubles are concerning moving forward. Crabtree is a legit #1 wideout but is injury prone and we still have no complement to him. So my question is what position should we address first? We all want Aldon be extended but can we count on him long term? He may be gone several games this year and if he does anything else, probably a year. Do we grab a pass rusher since Aldon isn't dependable at the moment? Go for Justin's replacement, or finally grab someone to place on the other side of Crabs and possible be our #1 since Crabs always has a foot issue? Also what's more important in your opinions? Before the Aldon incident I would've said draft WR ASAP l, but now idk, because if Aldon can't be counted on our pass rush is virtually gone.
Originally posted by BigTrez:
Ok guys we all know Justin Smith can't play forever and that we'll eventually need to find his replacement. We know how much of a stud Aldon is but his off the field troubles are concerning moving forward. Crabtree is a legit #1 wideout but is injury prone and we still have no complement to him. So my question is what position should we address first? We all want Aldon be extended but can we count on him long term? He may be gone several games this year and if he does anything else, probably a year. Do we grab a pass rusher since Aldon isn't dependable at the moment? Go for Justin's replacement, or finally grab someone to place on the other side of Crabs and possible be our #1 since Crabs always has a foot issue? Also what's more important in your opinions? Before the Aldon incident I would've said draft WR ASAP l, but now idk, because if Aldon can't be counted on our pass rush is virtually gone.

Should we wait n see what we have in carradine, dial, lenonoir? Aldon im pretty sure will get back on track
Originally posted by frankie:

Should we wait n see what we have in carradine, dial, lenonoir? Aldon im pretty sure will get back on track

I agree, other than maybe killing someone, it's all uphill for Aldon.

Unfortunately, we're in a holding pattern waiting on Dial and Carradine. Other than that, I say we go all day for a replacement for Justin Smith, sort out wide receiver later.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I don't think us fans get to make roster moves. Unless I just didn't get my invite this year.
Scoring more points than our opponents is more important to our success, as opposed to not scoring more points than our opponents.
Carradine and Lomonier look like future starters with plenty of time to learn behind ProBowlers.

WR is the question mark. Moving forward, all we really have is Patton. We need to resign Boldin, IMO, and draft another guy early. I think Crabtree will get away from us. Ideally, I think Baalke will try to trade up for Lee or another top-rated WR (Evans/Watkins)..
balance
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankie:

No. Absolutely not. Only people who do not understand football want to wait.
Good question. Hopefully we already have Justin s replacement on roster with tank or dial. Aldons replacement would be lemoneir, who has shown great potential. Crabs is the only player whos replacement might not be on roster. Our WR core is paper thin.
Wasnt tank supposed to be a high to mid 1st round draft pick but due to the injury we got him in the second?

How much patience will the organization have with Aldon if his behavior doesn't change. I keep thinking back to Charles Haley, the situations may be different, but in Haley's case the 49ers could not put up with the distractions anymore. Aldon should sit down with Eric Wright and talk how wrong behavior can cost millions. Losing Haley may have cost us a couple of Super Bowls. He was a nasty dude, Aldon appears to be a nice kid but immature. I think he'll be OK.
getting laid before the game
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
How much patience will the organization have with Aldon if his behavior doesn't change. I keep thinking back to Charles Haley, the situations may be different, but in Haley's case the 49ers could not put up with the distractions anymore. Aldon should sit down with Eric Wright and talk how wrong behavior can cost millions. Losing Haley may have cost us a couple of Super Bowls. He was a nasty dude, Aldon appears to be a nice kid but immature. I think he'll be OK.

Aldon will sign a carefully constructed extension with us. Marathe will have conduct clauses installed to protect us. All will be right with the world as we see that Tank and Lemonier develop into quality starters by 2015. Impossible to say that Justin's eventual replacement will fill his shoes perfectly... but Tomsula will keep our DL strong.

Crabtree will seek the bigger money in the FA market after 2014, and we will wave g'bye. A plan is in place for our imminent WR future. Patton will be a part of that. Boldin and Crabtree will stay on till after 2014, so we are fine for a while.

Ok guys we all know Justin Smith can't play forever and that we'll eventually need to find his replacement. We know how much of a stud Aldon is but his off the field troubles are concerning moving forward.

Thought Tank and Lemonier were drafted for these very reasons?

Moving forward, I have very little confidence in the WR core outside of Boldin, and even Boldin - don't get too comfortable with him being #1 guy long term. I think with more experience and development, Patton can be a stud and compliment Michael Crabtree nicely. Crabtree/Patton, plus resign Boldin short term ! And I know Crabs' history, resigning him will be difficult, but I really hope (and still have confidence) that something will work out.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Sep 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM ]
Resigning Crabtree is an absolute must. I have little confidence in the Niners scouting dept. to find good talent at WR; this has been an issue for years.

For this simple reason--that a premier WR like Crabtree is hard to come by in general, but even moreso for the Niners in particular, I wouldn't be against paying market value for him; if we can offer something close, I think he'd take it. Hope we aren't competing with Dallas (his childhood fav); my buddy is a cowgirls fan & would be so annoying about it.

Patton may very well be a future star; however, if we are serious about keeping Crabs, that decision will need to be made no later than a year from now. In this context, I don't think the decision to let Crab walk could be made based on the belief that Patton will mitigate the loss. It is just to early in his career to know how he'll develop, how durable his body is over a couple seasons.. I want to see 3 years at least out of a player before deciding what they are, when this valuation directly impacts significant roster decisions.

Bottom line--we know what Crabs is at his worst, we've watched him improve and become a top flight player. His chemistry w/Kap was indispensable for our late season triumphs, and the dearth of talent at WR was on full display last week against a quality D. Finally, losing Crabtree without replacing him with a similar caliber player could severely hamper Kap's ability to utilize his immense arm talent. this is huge. Paying top dollar for Kap while weakening his arsenal of pass catchers is, ultimately, a poor investment that could hold the team back for years.

Signing Crab before Kap might also improve our leverage in dealing with Kap's extension; leaving him with a piss poor WR corps might compel him to demand more..s**t, I would if I were him.

I just want to add, on a somewhat different note , I don't see Vernon Davis as a WR. Not a natural pass catcher. He's an athletic freak that might just be more valuable as a decoy than as a primary option for offensive production. I love him still, but I like him as the #3 option, and even as that he can still be a top 5 TE.

Edit: I can think of one scenario in which I'd feel OK about seeing #15 go, at least with respect to the 49ers future success (he's my fav player , don't ask why,and prob will continue to be a fav of mine no matter where he goes after): Marcus Lattimore plays this year,is a beast, and is the catalyst in giving our offense an identity, which has been kinda missing since Kap replaced Alex. So in this scenario, we once again have an elite ground game which foments a passing attack sort of in the mold of Big Ben's when Pitt was good, Vance McDonald is an integral piece. Patton is putting up #s that, spread out over a year, rival those of top 10 Wr's.
So yea, in this dreamy scenario of ridiculous rookie production, maybe we'd be aite with out Crab. But the schematic concepts of this scenario, forgetting the players, is really what I want. can a ground game still win championships? I'm paranoid that Seattle will own us until we can beat them in other ways than through the air. They're just too good and too cheap (but smart, always gotta work the system especially the gov) with the whole coaching DB's to skirt the contact rules every play.

long ass post, if you're still reading, then here's my #1 thought about football lately: I f**kING HATE RICHARD SHERMAN AS A PERSON
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Sep 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone