LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Discipline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by outside4949:
Harbaugh should lay the hammer down on this motherf**ker. I don't necessarily think the team needs a message sent. but aldon does. He needs to understand that this will all be taken away traveling on this path. Suspend him for 4 games. send this dumbass kid a message!

I am one of the biggest supporters of Aldon Smith, but there is no denying that he has issues that he has to deal with.

I am not sure the team should suspend him.

But, if the team decides to do so, they must do it in concert with the league office to avoid "double jeopardy"-- a team suspension followed by a league suspension.

Also, you know that some will discount your ideas if you use terms such as dumb a**, piece of *hit, and mother f*cker.
The idea, I guess it is an idea, is that these terms render a poster's comments truly worthless.

In general, I do not find these terms very useful, but they do not hurt my willingness to consider the points you raise.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue. You know who kept his cool and looked real good on the sidelines? Mike Nolan. And we all know how hard they played for Nolan - he really got them fired up didn't he.

Calm down everyone. The players love Harbaugh. They love him because he's one of them. He's just as into it as they are. They know he'd like to be out there banging heads with them if he could. You guys are looking for problems in the wrong places and you're completely over-reacting to two very emotional games that begin this season. The first game was one that came at the end of a couple weeks of serious smack talk from the Packers about how they were going to knock Kaepernick around. The second was the Seahawks at Clink, something that is never pretty and always very emotional.

Niner fans kill me. Some of you are just unbelievable. If you spent any time anywhere else in the country, some of you might begin to realize how ridiculous some of us are. Over the last two seasons, Harbaugh has the best winning percentage of any head coach in the NFL. In a sane world, fans wouldn't look at a coach like that and try to manufacture some reason to complain. Antics on the sideline? Give me a break. I'll take a fired-up coach who wins games and inspires players to play hard over a robot who dresses well and maintains his composure any day of the week.

Thank you Buck and thank you G!

You guys are the voice of reason when the sky is falling for everyone else on the zone. Seattle really did a number to our fans' psyche, and that's the true embarrassment. It's us that needs to remain calm in the face of the storm. Get with it people and stop being so god damned dramatic.

Call Aldon Smith. He needs you.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Back in the 80's the 49er organization was known for winning with class. While the winning has returned, I can't say that the class has. I much prefer Walsh's sideline demeanor over Harbaugh's. The temper tantrum man-child act that Harbaugh displays at times is a little embarrassing for a man his age. During the first game at GB last year, he looked like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth with his spit flying. Also, I don't recall anyone ever using the term "Forty Whiners" back in the day.

Please give it a rest. The first time I heard the term used was by a Raider fan in the mid '70's. Redskins fans I knew used the term when Walsh complained about the officiating after the '83 NFC Championship game. It's always been a tired, lazy go-to remark for Niner haters. I'm hoping Niner fans rise above this "Shehawks" nonsense. That's even more lazy than Forty Whiners.

Maybe I just never heard the term because I lived in the Bay Area at the time and there was no social media or internet then. There's a difference between complaining about calls during a presser after the game and acting like lunatic on the sidelines. We all have our own opinions on what is and isn't acceptable social behavior, whether it's at a sporting event or any other facet of life. And that's just what they are---opinions. Walsh had a right to complain after the '83 Championship game though. The interference call at the end of the game was bogus. The ball was uncatchable by the receiver. Still have that game on videotape.
He doesn't discipline guys.
I agree that Harbaugh is sort of a weird bird. But, I don't think it hurts the team. And IMO, it's misguided to think Bill Walsh wouldn't approve. We already know the answer to that - Walsh was one of Harbaugh's biggest advocates when he was at Stanford. In fact, Walsh spent his last couple of years mentoring Jim Harbaugh and discussing all manner of coaching details with him almost every day of the week. I think it's just his ultra-competitive nature along with the fact that he was a player for many years. I think players really like playing for him because they see him as one of them. And, there is no question in my mind about his coaching skill. The results speak for themselves.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pdizo916:
he's the new charles haley. talented pass rusher that the niners give away to another team that jumpstarts their dynasty.

No, Haley was outright insubordinate and surly toward staff and teammates. Aldon seems to respect teammates and staff but does not believe the rules of society apply to him.
Harbaugh's a real cheerleader for the team but he is also a ruthless SOB when it comes to doing what wins...see benching Smith after building him up for two years with over done accolades. Does he talk too much hoopla? Sure! But he is also capable of making the tough decisions. So no, I don't think his players walk all over him.

I would like to see him temper his maniac act on the sidelines but that's my predisposition toward the John Wooden type of coach. When asked why he didn't yell at his players during games, Wooden said, "If I didn't teach them how to do the right thing during practice then it's too late during the game. It would just unnerve them and cause them to lose focus." I like that approach. He did discipline players during games by benching them...no words needed,,,until he could calmly explain their transgressions.

But if you bench A Davis for doing something stupid, you have to accept the likelihood that bad things will result for the rest of that game...like your QB being killed! If it were really bad you could blame the coaches but it seems like different guys and only once in a while. Young guys for the most part and the veterans should take care of it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
No, Haley was outright insubordinate and surly toward staff and teammates. Aldon seems to respect teammates and staff but does not believe the rules of society apply to him.

Extrapolating a person's beliefs from actions is a precarious endeavor.

When I was Aldon Smith's age, my actions were much more egregious than his.

I knew that rules of society applied to me. I knew that I should not do what I was about to do, and fool that I was I still did it.

To this day, I am not sure why I was such a fool. The phrase young and dumb, a somewhat trite cliché, seems to have some validity.

Aldon has made some major errors. He needs to stop making those errors. But, those errors do not make him a thug or a sociopath.

From what I have heard (read) from people who knew him when he was younger, these mistakes are out of character.

Maybe the fame and fortunate has gotten to his head--again maybe. I do not know.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM ]
Like I told you all WE NEVER SHOULDVE GOTTEN RID OF CAM JOHNSON
I'm so glad Harbaugh is the coach and none the people posting in this thread. -You people poke, and you act like what's best in your sheltered, righteous, yuppie lives like everything is just black & white.

You do what's best for the team, you gotta do what helps you get the 'W', not for status quo, or niceness points.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I don't know what Harbaugh is supposed to do. Voluntarily bench Smith for something that he'll be suspended for later on anyway?

Originally posted by Method:
I've been so disappointed in the professionalism displayed by this team so far this year. Two or three terrible personal foul penalties that have cost us points, and now this by Aldon. Two dui's is f**king inexcusable. Suspend him now.

The 2011 team was incredibly professional, very rarely made dumb penalties on the field and it led us all the way to the NFC championship. That team was built by Singletary / Nolan, but they needed a real NFL coach to lead them to the promised land. Now we have that coach, but I've been very disappointed in his discipline of his team.

Suspend Aldon and put more discipline in this team to stop all these stupid game costing penalties. I want a professional, stand up team. Not what I've seen so far.

Your points are valid but I remember this interview with Jimmy Johnson and he discussed Michael Irvin. He said there were two sets of rules, one for the superstars and the other for the rest of the team. We can have a team full of Nolan-Singletary guys who tow the line but don't win. I keep coming back to Charles Haley, we lost patience and Dallas wins 3 Super Bowls with him. If you bench Aldon bench Seattle's Lynch also. Watch how fast discipline sets in along with losses. Maybe the team is at fault for not giving more off the field attention, now is the time to remedy the situation.
  • dj43
Originally posted by buck:

Extrapolating a person's beliefs from actions is a precarious endeavor.

When I was Aldon Smith's age, my actions were much more egregious than his.

I knew that rules of society applied to me. I knew that I should not do what I was about to do, and fool that I was I still did it.

To this day, I am not sure why I was such a fool. The phrase young and dumb, a somewhat trite cliché, seems to have some validity.

Aldon has made some major errors. He needs to stop making those errors. But, those errors do not make him a thug or a sociopath.

From what I have heard (read) from people who knew him when he was younger, these mistakes are out of character.

Maybe the fame and fortunate has gotten to his head--again maybe. I do not know.

We can define it in whatever way we want but the bottom line is; he is CHOOSING to act in an irresponsible and illegal manner. He didn't "just make a mistake." He made a choice...and four occasions...and they were all wrong.
  • buck
  • Veteran
We can define it in whatever way we want but the bottom line is; he is CHOOSING to act in an irresponsible and illegal manner. He didn't "just make a mistake." He made a choice...and four occasions...and they were all wrong.

I agree. I am not trying to defend the choices he made.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
He's had early success, has developed a big head, and if allowed to continue unchecked, will become a cancer.
oh noes! he's losing the team! he's losing his mind! fire him he cant beat the seahawks!
Share 49ersWebzone