LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Discipline

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
All he has done for the last 12 months is worry about what everyone else is doing. He need to worry about his own house keep it clean and stay out of everyone else business.

Where has he strayed into others business? He was asked a question about Seadderall. He answered it. He didn't single out any players or specific people in Seattle. And in fact he said he would like to keep his team and players above board.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you have watched Harbaugh at all this year you can see that he has actually calmed down a bit. Did you see him jump around and yell at all during the Seahawks game? I didn't. He was very composed and professional on the side line.

In his press conference today you could see he was pissed. But what Harbaugh doesn't do is pander to the media and just give them all the info they want to hear. He gives them the bare minimum and there is nothing wrong with that. He keeps it in house, the way it should be. The players respect that.

My personal opinion is that Harbaugh is pissed off at Aldon. Maybe he wants to suspend him but it isn't his call. Who knows.

^^

I feel ya... and why suspend the guy when he'll more than likely get suspended by the NFL. I hope he's not suspended for the Lambs game tho. Maybe he can just alternate Lemon/Aldon this Sunday with Aldon on the bench most of the game, just to send some kind of message... I don't really think we'll need Aldon for the Colts like we will against the Lambs.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Are you guys kidding? Do you really think that Harbaugh's passion causes penalties? I've seen a lot of strange takes around here, but that comes close to the silliest thing I've seen people argue. You know who kept his cool and looked real good on the sidelines? Mike Nolan. And we all know how hard they played for Nolan - he really got them fired up didn't he.

Calm down everyone. The players love Harbaugh. They love him because he's one of them. He's just as into it as they are. They know he'd like to be out there banging heads with them if he could. You guys are looking for problems in the wrong places and you're completely over-reacting to two very emotional games that begin this season. The first game was one that came at the end of a couple weeks of serious smack talk from the Packers about how they were going to knock Kaepernick around. The second was the Seahawks at Clink, something that is never pretty and always very emotional.

Niner fans kill me. Some of you are just unbelievable. If you spent any time anywhere else in the country, some of you might begin to realize how ridiculous some of us are. Over the last two seasons, Harbaugh has the best winning percentage of any head coach in the NFL. In a sane world, fans wouldn't look at a coach like that and try to manufacture some reason to complain. Antics on the sideline? Give me a break. I'll take a fired-up coach who wins games and inspires players to play hard over a robot who dresses well and maintains his composure any day of the week.

I have nothing against a fired-up coach, however, when that coach's team is displaying the same kind of out-of-control behavior as their coach, I make a connection.

My background for saying this is 15 years of coaching soccer at a pretty high level. Teams that have behavior problems on the field almost always had a very loud, out-of-control coach on the sidelines. Conversely, when a coach was calm on the sideline, the team was almost always much more focused on the field. Take that for what its worth but I believe it plays a part in the fact this team is struggling to maintain composure and focus on the field, as witnessed by the many penalties.

Come on, man. We've only played two games this season. And both games were very emotional and intense games. That naturally leads to more penalties. In Seattle, yes, I thought they should have maintained more composure, but don't forget that that stadium also set the record for loudest stadium that night which made things more difficult for the players. That's not to excuse their poor play, but we have to put things in perspective when looking at these first two games. It seems like every time the Niners lose or have a less than stellar game, we start seeing all the doomsdayers come out. The season is FAR from over, and there is a lot more football left to play. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 7-1 at the bye; then I'd like to see what people think of the coach at that time.

Thank You!! You just silenced the crowd. Spoke the truth!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In all seriousness, they could use a hardcore disciplinarian on the coaching staff, they all seem to be easygoing with the possible exception of Leavitt. As incompetent as he was with football strategy, it cant be said that Singletary didnt help VD pull his head out of his ass. Aldon needs a similar intervention.

Mangini?
Can it be monday already so the sky is falling crap can be over? I hate coming to this board after a loss
Originally posted by xtm059:
Can it be monday already so the sky is falling crap can be over? I hate coming to this board after a loss

Yeah, it's bumming me out
Originally posted by xtm059:

No kidding!! A big W is the only thing that can wash the stench of this week away.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by susweel:
fire Harbs bring back Sing. lol

get this nonsense out of here.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wasn't any problems when we had a white qb without tattoos.

Bring back Alex right method

Where the f*ck did you guys get that with Method's post?!?!?!?!?

It's a valid concern, IMO.

We were the 5th most penalized team in 2011 and had the 3rd most penalty yards. Not sure what he cited that team.

the OP just got pwned

Wait... subtract Goldson's penalties.

and we're #2 in penalties this year

The pwner got pwned? How very droll.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I am one of the biggest supporters of Aldon Smith, but there is no denying that he has issues that he has to deal with.

I am not sure the team should suspend him.

But, if the team decides to do so, they must do it in concert with the league office to avoid "double jeopardy"-- a team suspension followed by a league suspension.

Also, you know that some will discount your ideas if you use terms such as dumb a**, piece of *hit, and mother f*cker.
The idea, I guess it is an idea, is that these terms render a poster's comments truly worthless.

In general, I do not find these terms very useful, but they do not hurt my willingness to consider the points you raise.

Great post! Thanks for this!

Action will likely be taken to penalize the guy. But more importantly, to turn his life around.

It says quite a bit about the evolution of our views on drinking that this is even a subject of conversation in the WZ. In the 50s and 60s this would have been a non-news item.
Guess I am not too worried. Every team has some issues, and I can't blame Harbaugh for not being able to hand-hold Aldon 24-7. Not just him, I realize.. but as for the whole team and penalties? We get our share and then some.. not really sure what we (they) can do about that, except to make it a focal point and expect it to improve.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:28 AM ]

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
lol most of you dudes got some sandy vaginas.
Thanks, Amp!

My favorite absurd take is that we need a guy like Singletary running things. Yikes! Some people have lost their minds.
Back in the 80's the 49er organization was known for winning with class. While the winning has returned, I can't say that the class has. I much prefer Walsh's sideline demeanor over Harbaugh's. The temper tantrum man-child act that Harbaugh displays at times is a little embarrassing for a man his age. During the first game at GB last year, he looked like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth with his spit flying. Also, I don't recall anyone ever using the term "Forty Whiners" back in the day.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Back in the 80's the 49er organization was known for winning with class. While the winning has returned, I can't say that the class has. I much prefer Walsh's sideline demeanor over Harbaugh's. The temper tantrum man-child act that Harbaugh displays at times is a little embarrassing for a man his age. During the first game at GB last year, he looked like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth with his spit flying. Also, I don't recall anyone ever using the term "Forty Whiners" back in the day.

Please give it a rest. The first time I heard the term used was by a Raider fan in the mid '70's. Redskins fans I knew used the term when Walsh complained about the officiating after the '83 NFC Championship game. It's always been a tired, lazy go-to remark for Niner haters. I'm hoping Niner fans rise above this "Shehawks" nonsense. That's even more lazy than Forty Whiners.
You know who used to get really mad and scream on the sidelines? Vince Lombardi. Now, he wore a nice tie and a nifty little fedora, so it wasn't as obvious, but he'd go crazy on the sidelines at times. Packer fans didn't care because they were winning games.
Share 49ersWebzone