LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 184 users in the forums

2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I got a serious question here.

Has there ever been a time in the Harbaugh era where the Niners have come into a game with a gameplan that continued to fail and adjustments were made?

I really get the feeling that Harbaugh and staff are almost so egotistical that they stick to the gameplan at all costs, no matter what is happening on the field.

Love Harbaugh, great coach, but in my opinion his major weakness is in game adjustments. When something isn't working they seem to stick to it no matter what is happening on the field, and last nite was a prime example of that.

We even saw a little bit last week defensively against Green Bay where our Db's would be playing 10-15 yards off their receivers and we got burned on quick outs over and over and over.

This team just seems to stick to the original gameplan no matter what, and it's very frustrating to see.
Pre-question: was there any gameplan? If yes, did they really hold on that gameplan?
Originally posted by communist:
Pre-question: was there any gameplan? If yes, did they really hold on that gameplan?

Seems like we were playing RUN all game, or at least that's how our formations were. Too much out of the Pistol, IMO.

Seattle, in a sense, dared us to run against them... and we failed.

Good job Marvin49. So ready for next Sunday already so we can knock this taste out of our mouths!
Man man man. Watching this game was such a waste of time

What was the gameplan again? I dont get it. Sending in "slow" receivers against physical DBs???..."brilliant".
Where was our passrush? Passrush was missing against the pack, too (at least in the 1st half). Fangio, do your f... job finally.

If we want to be a serious SB contender, we will have to start doing our homework. First of all, scout your opponent exactly, especially if you to play against him twice a year.

YEEEAHHHH....

THAT was the problem. Harbaugh, Roman and Fangio didn't scout. they just went out ther and winged it. Total morons.

Sending slow receivers....um...do they HAVE fast ones?

Pass Rush? It was there all night. Did ya notice that WIlson had his lowest Qb rating in his last 10 starts AND was sacked 4 times?

Yes...there was a gameplan. Yes, they changed it during the game.

No...it didn't work.

BREAKING NEWS: Seattle has a really good defense. It's even better at home. People criticize the gameplan when it doesn't work. When it does the players tend to get the credit. The players are just as guilty as the gameplan. Boldin had a Richard Sherman jacket on all game and Kap had no time or anyone to throw the ball to.

It isn't rocket science.
This game reminds me of the Giants game last season. All hyped up and ready for revenge....only to fall flat on their faces. Still early in the season fans so no need to worry.
I know im going to get flamed here but im gunna say it anyways. If there was any game to use an offense Alex would have used this was it. Due to Seattle commiting so many men to the pass rush and stopping the run the short route game was wide open. The passes to miller wide open, every short route rb or te was left untouched because they wanted to contain kap gore and the deep pass. We really could have used the oh so hated dink and dunk game last night to open everything else up.

Marv I agree with almost everything you stated as usual top notch reporting. Im curious to know though did you notice a difference in how our d was attacking after Reids injury it may be just me but I noticed a change whether aggresiveness the coverage i cant put my finger on it but our defense didnt look the same once Reid went down.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
YEEEAHHHH....

THAT was the problem. Harbaugh, Roman and Fangio didn't scout. they just went out ther and winged it. Total morons.

Sending slow receivers....um...do they HAVE fast ones?

Pass Rush? It was there all night. Did ya notice that WIlson had his lowest Qb rating in his last 10 starts AND was sacked 4 times?

Not so sound like a hater, but I really think Seattle's weaknesses are painfully obvious in the pass protection department now. It's only the end of week 2, and he's already been sacked 6 times. He was getting hammered pretty hard last night too. I don't care how young you are, if your pass protection is that bad where you're running for your life half the game and your zone blocking scheme consists of cut blocking, sooner or later the failure to address their pass protection is going to come back to bite your team hard.

...and there's 14 more games to go.

I'd never wish harm on another human being, but you can't ignore that that possibility exists, especially with the new rules in place with read-option QBs.

That being said, the pass rush was there all night. Other than the bonehead penalties that extended drives, the defense played their hearts out IMO.
[ Edited by Protoman on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
This game reminds me of the Giants game last season. All hyped up and ready for revenge....only to fall flat on their faces. Still early in the season fans so no need to worry.

That's exactly what I was thinking this morning. We were all hyped up for revenge and didn't focus on the little things that win games . . . and face planted.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Kap messed up on 2 big plays that could have had us in a position to have a shot. The redzone int, we need atleast 3 there with the way our D was playing and the 3rd down where he was running and could have ran for a 1st down but instead he fired a low % ball to gore. That would have been a big drive to keep going.
  • thl408
It seemed, to me, that the gameplan was to hit the RBs and TEs in the short flat area after it was vacated by the CBs. This was sound strategy due to play action sucking in the LBs, then hit the flats with quick short passes. Basically, concede that the WRs are locked up by the SEA secondary and hit the other pass catchers. Kap was not having a good day throwing the ball even at short distances. I give lots of credit to the SEA front 7 as well. Even though they had some injuries, they stepped up big time.

The only issue I have with the offensive gameplan was the run game, as many have pointed out. With a silent count, the Oline gets no jump on the snap. Both Dline and Oline are going at the snap. There is no advantage to the Oline when it drives forward. Perhaps some draw plays to Hunter may have worked. The 49ers run game should be better when they play in SF.
Originally posted by pd24:
Kap messed up on 2 big plays that could have had us in a position to have a shot. The redzone int, we need atleast 3 there with the way our D was playing and the 3rd down where he was running and could have ran for a 1st down but instead he fired a low % ball to gore. That would have been a big drive to keep going.

That was the play that drove me nuts. I knew right then his head was not in the game. IMO, he looked rattled and indecisive because he was not confident in the game plan. I know I've been beating that point to death, but I can't think of any other reason why a player as confident as Kap would lack confidence in what he was doing. He couldn't trust his reads because he knew they were crap.
We missed some opportunities early, ie. Miller not catching what I thought was a catchable TD pass. Kaepernicks interception on the pass to VD. Lets face it, Tom Brady would have hit Vernon right in the chest and that would have been 6. That's the precision I think you need to score against the leagues best defense. A couple bad throws and drops in crucial situations early and everything just went down hill. Point is, they need to play perfect to win up there, nothing else is going to cut it.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Why did Hunter not play until it was out of hand? If we are doing the read option, isn't he the best RB for that? I don't get it, looks the the coaches were hiding something and didn't want to break out parts of our game plan since it is so early in the season. We saw that last year.
Share 49ersWebzone