LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Psinex:
I wouldn't say the Niners gave it to them, rather the Niners made a lot of stupid mistakes, bone-headed penalties. I even thought Frank Gore was going to get penalized when he pushed someone's face. I'm sure that Seahawks were talking a lot on the field. Harbaugh needs to coach his players to be smart. If Seattle thinks they can get under the skin of our players, they'll keep doing it, keep trying to intimidate and act like a bully. What really surprised me is how badly Joe Staley played. On a lot of running plays and pass blocking miscues, the replay showed Staley getting beat, missing his blocks, etc. I'm sure that he wasn't the only one, but he is a crucial part of the line.

If the Niners want to win this year, they will need to become balanced on offense. Since Kaepernick took over, I feared this day would come, when the forever scrambling QB, quick strike deep pass-type of offense met its match, and subsequent demise. Kaepernick is good, but he's not good enough to overcome a gameplan that stops the run and the deep pass simultaneously. He has to take shorter plays and let the receivers try to gain yards after the catch. He needs to be more cerebral, instead of just trying to jam the ball in to tight windows. Kaepernick needs to mature as a QB, and utilize every part of the field, no matter how deep or how shallow he needs to go. He needs to improve his progression, checking each receiver, not locking into just one. He needs to be shifty with his eyes, use pump fakes and misdirection. These are all things that will hopefully become a part of his arsenal.

Nice post.

This was a game in which Kap showed his limitations and maybe some immaturity.

His ability to throw every type of pass, especially touch, is not where it needs to be. That'll come. What's critical is that he develop a better sense of what to do when a play breaks down or his first options are not available to him. When that happens and he has to revert to "sandlot" football, he seems to miss locating the open receiver and really his most effective weapon is to run. Until the game was getting out of hand, he refused to do that. Although he professes not to read the press, he obviously does, because early he seemed intent on proving that he was a "passer" and didn't need to run at all. He did later, but perhaps after a lot of damage had already been done and opportunities missed.
In fact I was a little surprised by his lack of instinct in this game. I really though that he was better than that. When he scrambled late in the game he missed spotting receivers who had worked themselves open and at other times he forced the ball when an easy first down was to be had if he just ran. Wilson, by contrast, even though he was handled masterfully by the Niner defense, seem more polished in this respect.

The other thing that struck me was how easy he was to bring down. For all the working out he does, he seems to lack a bit in the "balance" department and is knocked off quite easily. Seems a little delicate. He also got "trucked" by SHERMAN after an interception. LOL. That looked humiliating for a tough guy; either make the tackle, or get out of the way. A guy that has looked the opposite of that is Luck and he's coming to town next, so we'll see.

Finally, take a page out of Willis' and Harbaugh's book. Give credit where credit is due. The team got beaten fair and square by Seattle. Kap sounded really sour grapes in just not acknowledging that post game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by cciowa:
you would like to think he would but i think he wants big money,, dorsey is a good starter so we just need a body behind him. i think with our salary cap situation it will be a cheap body which is fine,, we just need someone behind dorsey
I was talking about his character my friend ;)

Who will be activated for the 53rd spot?
wow, did i get screwed up,. i know what you were talking about. instead i just went on a rant about signing richard seymour. good lord. i am not even self medicating today. sorry for the mixup communist
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I wouldn't say the Niners gave it to them, rather the Niners made a lot of stupid mistakes, bone-headed penalties. I even thought Frank Gore was going to get penalized when he pushed someone's face. I'm sure that Seahawks were talking a lot on the field. Harbaugh needs to coach his players to be smart. If Seattle thinks they can get under the skin of our players, they'll keep doing it, keep trying to intimidate and act like a bully. What really surprised me is how badly Joe Staley played. On a lot of running plays and pass blocking miscues, the replay showed Staley getting beat, missing his blocks, etc. I'm sure that he wasn't the only one, but he is a crucial part of the line.

If the Niners want to win this year, they will need to become balanced on offense. Since Kaepernick took over, I feared this day would come, when the forever scrambling QB, quick strike deep pass-type of offense met its match, and subsequent demise. Kaepernick is good, but he's not good enough to overcome a gameplan that stops the run and the deep pass simultaneously. He has to take shorter plays and let the receivers try to gain yards after the catch. He needs to be more cerebral, instead of just trying to jam the ball in to tight windows. Kaepernick needs to mature as a QB, and utilize every part of the field, no matter how deep or how shallow he needs to go. He needs to improve his progression, checking each receiver, not locking into just one. He needs to be shifty with his eyes, use pump fakes and misdirection. These are all things that will hopefully become a part of his arsenal.

Nice post.

His ability to throw every type of pass, especially touch, is not where it needs to be. That'll come. What's critical is that he develop a better sense of what to do when a play breaks down or his first options are not available to him. When that happens and he has to revert to "sandlot" football, he seems to miss locating the open receiver and really his most effective weapon is to run. Until the game was getting out of hand, he refused to do that. Although he professes not to read the press, he obviously does, because early he seemed intent on proving that he was a "passer" and didn't need to run at all. He did later, but perhaps after a lot of damage had already been done and opportunities missed.
In fact I was a little surprised by his lack of instinct in this game. I really though that he was better than that. When he scrambled late in the game he missed spotting receivers who had worked themselves open and at other times he forced the ball when an easy first down was to be had if he just ran. Wilson, by contrast, even though he was handled masterfully by the Niner defense, seem more polished in this respect.

The other thing that struck me was how easy he was to bring down. For all the working out he does, he seems to lack a bit in the "balance" department and is knocked off quite easily. Seems a little delicate. He also got "trucked" by SHERMAN after an interception. LOL. That looked humiliating for a tough guy; either make the tackle, or get out of the way. A guy that has looked the opposite of that is Luck and he's coming to town next, so we'll see.

Finally, take a page out of Willis' and Harbaugh's book. Give credit where credit is due. The team got beaten fair and square by Seattle. Kap sounded really sour grapes in just not acknowledging that post game.

Yes, the bright side of all this is that these are correctable problems. If the 49ers played their best, to their utmost physical ability and still got beaten like this, then I think we would have a serious situation. Seattle didn't outmuscle or outFhysicaled (Singletary-spelt) the Niners by any stretch. It was a coaching and scheme issue. You would think Roman would have learned from the last time they were in Seattle.
Right on Psinex... we are now unidimensional, and need to integrate the offensive( as in stinky to haters) WCO, as what we are doing is just showcasing Kap's cannon. Roman is stuck on taking it downfield, on1st and 2nd down and then giving Frank the ball on third and long against a 9 man line. Krapt! What are they thinking....that the rest of us can see? Nice comment on this is what you were afraid of. I never thot of it until Sunday....when it was not "missable"
Seattle's defense is better than our offense. Period. Our defense played just fine, especially considering we lost our NT and FS. But when you turn the ball over and can't sustain drives on the offensive side of the ball, the defense has no chance. Throw in a couple personal fouls and a pass interference call that helps Seattle sustain drives and you're cooked.

Our WRs were manhandled all game. Our OL has looked ordinary in two games. The WR issue is a personnel problem. The OL/running game is a scheme problem. We can't fix the personnel problem - our WRs are always going to get outplayed by stronger and faster secondaries. So we need to fix the scheme. We need Kaep to run the Alex Smith offense. We don't need to change the whole tenor of our team just because our new QB can throw lasers.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Nice post.

Kap never clicked yesterday. He was off the whole day. Yes, he had major issues with WR not getting open, no running game, which all contributed to the real issue. He was not playing from within himself. He was nervous, lacked pocket awareness, didn't scan the field well. That's mental and happens when someone gets intimidated.
I posted this in the wrong thread, so I'll re-post it here where it belongs...don't know why week 1 thread was on the first page...lol.

Originally posted by Afrikan: who is #41???? just looked it up Raymond Ventrone... WTF?

I'm just now watching the Coaches film view of the game and oh my f'n god.. some around here always throw around the word "special teams ACE" for some players that we do decide to keep over other players who are good at their positions.

on the very first punt, this guy just looks lost running down the field and just gives Tate a huge.... actually you know let me just create a gif...

I mean, aren't his teammates that on the right responsible from Tate going to the outside.... and this Ventrone guy is suppose to hold his section and not over commit.. or am I wrong about special teams.

I think the 136+ decibels had a huge impact. I think most of the analysis, is over thinking.

If we kick their butts in Candlestick, then all this negative analysis is wrong and it was the noise. If Seattle stomps us at home, then I will agree with many here, but not until.

But we will see.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I choose to believe that no secondary is that good in the NFL anymore. I think there is a lot of mugging and holding going on in Seattle's secondary and the refs aren't calling it. The sinister side of me thinks the NFL wanted Seattle to win this game so they can have that "heated NFC West" rivalry they have been talking about all offseason. Probably not the case, but they are not that good.

We absolutely have to smash Indy into the ground. They need to regain their form and let the rest of the NFL know they are still elite. F*ckin Seahawks. I hope they go on a losing streak.

C'mon Jags your chances of winning there are minimal but maybe Gabbert (I don't even know who their QB is right now) can have the game of his life.
1. We started out with the gameplan that would have worked had it not been abandoned. We ran multiple powers on the first two drives and they were actually working. We ran a couple read/options which worked to a degree as well. The assertion that our gameplan sucked simply isn't true. On the first drive Keap makes a horrible throw to miller who had to dig the ball off the turf-had he not needed to do that we would have had a first down on the first drive. On the second drive we got two first downs, and the issue was everyone was covered on the 3rd down play when Keap throws the ball into the zone. He misreads the play and it was Keap's fault. There was really no one open on the play. Williams was the most, but it would have been a dangerous throw.

2. On the 3rd drive (after Reid's pick) we start with a five yard gain on a read option play. Boldin gives it up with a false start (stupid) and then Keap has Gore wide open for a 10 yard gain or more and simply can't complete the pass...we then get our first delay of game. In other words, penalties penalties penalties....this is when the crowd started to take control of the game.

3. Our defense actually played lights-out in this game. Wilson only had 142 yards passing with a pick at home....horrible. The problem was we couldn't win for losing and the defense had some simply bad breaks (with Ahmad Brooks ridiculous facemask), and Aldon was acting like a child. Somehow the seahawks got in their heads...stupid $hit...they acted like a high
school team. In other words, we were winning the down and then losing in-between plays.

4. Then end score of the game was really not indicia of how the game actually went. The seahawks one because the noise got to the team. That's what happened. I actually think the seahawks are simply not as good as they were last year.

5. When we come back from the delay, on our first play we run a straight lead and Goodwin simply doesn't block the right person. It looks like there should have been a double team on the guy in the strong side A gap, but Goodwin goes straight to the backer and the dude simply runs right into Gore. Lame. On the next play Keap needs to step up in the pocket and doesn't resulting in a sack.

6. The absolutely worst play call of the game was on the first and ten at our own five yard line. We ran a total spread formation and ran gore up the middle for negative two yards....this has to be the dumbest call of the game. We should have been pounding the ball out of our endzone. Miller then can't make a simple block and ends up holding the guy in the end zone. First score of the game is a safety....ridiculous. We should never have been in the endzone to begin with.

7. We get stuck punting and with horrible special teams play our defense gets stuck with a short field, but our defense stands strong and gets them when they go for it on fourth down!!!

8. Then Keap misses another wide open receiver on first down for a five yard gain. On third down, Keap steps up in the pocket but has the ball dangling around like a moron....fumble.

9. Our defense then plays strong again and gives them no first down...they have to kick a FG. Whitner got flat out beat again by a TE, but it was a bad throw on second down thank goodness.

10. On the next drive is perhaps one of the game changers that no one talks about. On second down Wilson absolutely destroys the DB covering him, but Boone doesn't block his guy very well flushing Keap to the right, which stops Keap from seeing Wilson. This was a touchdown that was missed because our OL.

11. We then go heavy read option from the reversed wishbone formation-this is a mistake and one of the biggest mistakes in the game. Seattle game planned very well to stop this formation. Keap should have ran for the first down...and would have done so easily. Instead he tries to make a throw to Gore who was covered...stupid and I have no idea what Keap was doing here. GET the FD dumbass.

12. Some have mentioned how Alex Smith owned Seattle, and that is true. Alex's steady, take what they give you, style was very effective. There were a ton of easy plays to be made in this game by Keap and he simply doesn't make them...he had the worst game of his career by far obviously, and that was before he started throwing INT's.

13. The worst play of the game for Keap was on the 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line. Instead of standing strong and high in the pocket for one more second he freaks out and roles to his left. Both Boldin and Patton were wide open...and the OL gave him time to throw. He simply quit on the play....horrible.

I really think everyone needs to calm down. Seattle is a worse team this year than last year at this point. I think this will play out over the course of the year.
[ Edited by bigwads on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM ]

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Great thoughts, Big Wags. Piggybacking off your post, the short/intermediate passes lacked by Kaepernick really surprised me. Patton, Boldin, McDonald, and Davis are very good at brushing off defenders and gaining additional YAC.

You don't have to chuck it down field every time, give your receiver the ball with some space, and let him make a play.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Great thoughts, Big Wags. Piggybacking off your post, the short/intermediate passes lacked by Kaepernick really surprised me. Patton, Boldin, McDonald, and Davis are very good at brushing off defenders and gaining additional YAC.

You don't have to chuck it down field every time, give your receiver the ball with some space, and let him make a play.

Agreed with both as well. It was maddeningly frustrating watching him play so poorly. He routinely passed up the open man when we needed to get the ball out for positive yardage and locked in on everything going deep downfield to the point where he either wound up getting sacked (and stripped of the ball), panicked and threw the ball away, or just ran for something like 3 yards instead of a potential 5-15 yard gain on a pass.

Those short plays are a lot like runs and WILL wear down a defense (see KC vs. Philly this past Thursday). Wide open receivers in the flats or short routes that catch the ball will make all defenders converge and chase him down. 6-10 or more passes like that, and the defense starts to get REALLY frustrated and quite tired.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
1. We started out with the gameplan that would have worked had it not been abandoned. We ran multiple powers on the first two drives and they were actually working. We ran a couple read/options which worked to a degree as well. The assertion that our gameplan sucked simply isn't true. On the first drive Keap makes a horrible throw to miller who had to dig the ball off the turf-had he not needed to do that we would have had a first down on the first drive. On the second drive we got two first downs, and the issue was everyone was covered on the 3rd down play when Keap throws the ball into the zone. He misreads the play and it was Keap's fault. There was really no one open on the play. Williams was the most, but it would have been a dangerous throw.

2. On the 3rd drive (after Reid's pick) we start with a five yard gain on a read option play. Boldin gives it up with a false start (stupid) and then Keap has Gore wide open for a 10 yard gain or more and simply can't complete the pass...we then get our first delay of game. In other words, penalties penalties penalties....this is when the crowd started to take control of the game.

3. Our defense actually played lights-out in this game. Wilson only had 142 yards passing with a pick at home....horrible. The problem was we couldn't win for losing and the defense had some simply bad breaks (with Ahmad Brooks ridiculous facemask), and Aldon was acting like a child. Somehow the seahawks got in their heads...stupid $hit...they acted like a high
school team. In other words, we were winning the down and then losing in-between plays.

4. Then end score of the game was really not indicia of how the game actually went. The seahawks one because the noise got to the team. That's what happened. I actually think the seahawks are simply not as good as they were last year.

5. When we come back from the delay, on our first play we run a straight lead and Goodwin simply doesn't block the right person. It looks like there should have been a double team on the guy in the strong side A gap, but Goodwin goes straight to the backer and the dude simply runs right into Gore. Lame. On the next play Keap needs to step up in the pocket and doesn't resulting in a sack.

6. The absolutely worst play call of the game was on the first and ten at our own five yard line. We ran a total spread formation and ran gore up the middle for negative two yards....this has to be the dumbest call of the game. We should have been pounding the ball out of our endzone. Miller then can't make a simple block and ends up holding the guy in the end zone. First score of the game is a safety....ridiculous. We should never have been in the endzone to begin with.

7. We get stuck punting and with horrible special teams play our defense gets stuck with a short field, but our defense stands strong and gets them when they go for it on fourth down!!!

8. Then Keap misses another wide open receiver on first down for a five yard gain. On third down, Keap steps up in the pocket but has the ball dangling around like a moron....fumble.

9. Our defense then plays strong again and gives them no first down...they have to kick a FG. Whitner got flat out beat again by a TE, but it was a bad throw on second down thank goodness.

10. On the next drive is perhaps one of the game changers that no one talks about. On second down Wilson absolutely destroys the DB covering him, but Boone doesn't block his guy very well flushing Keap to the right, which stops Keap from seeing Wilson. This was a touchdown that was missed because our OL.

11. We then go heavy read option from the reversed wishbone formation-this is a mistake and one of the biggest mistakes in the game. Seattle game planned very well to stop this formation. Keap should have ran for the first down...and would have done so easily. Instead he tries to make a throw to Gore who was covered...stupid and I have no idea what Keap was doing here. GET the FD dumbass.

12. Some have mentioned how Alex Smith owned Seattle, and that is true. Alex's steady, take what they give you, style was very effective. There were a ton of easy plays to be made in this game by Keap and he simply doesn't make them...he had the worst game of his career by far obviously, and that was before he started throwing INT's.

13. The worst play of the game for Keap was on the 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line. Instead of standing strong and high in the pocket for one more second he freaks out and roles to his left. Both Boldin and Patton were wide open...and the OL gave him time to throw. He simply quit on the play....horrible.

I really think everyone needs to calm down. Seattle is a worse team this year than last year at this point. I think this will play out over the course of the year.

Are you Marvin50 ? Great post
Nice post bigwads! Hopefully we play smarter this game and take it out on the Colts!
Share 49ersWebzone