There are 232 users in the forums

2013 - Week 2: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Only watched it once. Didn't have the heart to do so twice.

1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 9 starts, 160 comp, 259 att, 61.77 comp%, 2139 yards, 8.25 YPA, 13 TDs, 6 INTs, 95.05 QB Rating. Ouch. That one smarts. Easily his worst game as a pro and more than a little of it had to do with WHERE they were playing and WHO they were playing. I've read reports on the Seattle board about how this justified their thinking all along that he was just a one read QB...that his first guy was covered and he'd just run. Thats BS. In fact, early on I think he too often was trying too hard to DISprove that theory when he should have just run with the damn thing. I think the issue here isn't that he was making only one read...it's that Seattle was taking ALL of his reads away and giving him very little time to get through them. The first INT was his fault. Misread the coverage. The second was his as well...underthrew the ball and Sherman made a very good play. I was annoyed at Vernon about not going up for the ball until I realized he had pulled a hamstring on the play. I'll take the INT in that game at that point over a MORE injured Vernon. Live to play another day. The last one was all Kap. He was pressing trying to find something that just wasn't there.

2) Run game: 2 weeks now of NOTHING. Kaep can win the game "on his own" against a GB defense, but when the run gets taken away AND you are facing the best secondary in the NFL AND you're IN Seattle....yeah...we saw what happened. I expected the 49ers to lose, but I have to admit that I was surprised they stopped the run game so effectively. I don't think the issue is Frank. I don't know if its scheme or what but the last two opponents have found a flaw in the design of the 49ers run game. The entire O-Line played poorly in this regard but in particular Joe Staley. He let defenders get inside him on several occasions and they simply blew up the play. Was he expecting help from Iupati or a FB or TE? Dunno...but WAY too much penetration to get anything going. Is Gore getting old and slow? Lets be real...Gore was never FAST. LOL. I don't think Gore is the issue here. He just hasn't had ANY room to run in 2 games now.

3) Defense: Ya know something? This game was much closer than the score would indicate. No excuses here. Seattle DOMINATED the 49ers offense, but the 49er Defense played very, very well. All they gave up in the first half was 3 points and that was after the Kap fumble so they were given a short field. What killed them? No help whatsoever from the offense and...

4) Penalties: Sigh. Ya know, its hard enough to beat Seattle in Seattle when you aren't beating yourself. That isn't to say that the 49ers lost because they beat themselves (Seattle did more than enough to win the game)...but they certainly didn't help themselves. Stupid, costly Personal Foul penalties. The one on Brooks I actually felt bad for him on. I don't think he intended to hit him in the face like that. You could see by his reaction. That gave them a first down in the redzone and resulted in a TD. The one on Aldon was inexcusable. STUPID, STUPID play. That would have been 3rd and very long and he gave them another 1st down...and another TD. The score at that point is closer to 11-3 instead of 19-3. If those drives don't result in TDs then Kap isn't forced to pass into a DIME defense and he possibly doesn't turn the ball over 2 more times in Seahawk territory. In a game that close bad decisions can spiral a game out of control in a hurry. Those two penaties in particular against Brooks and Aldon were backbreakers.

5) Injuries. Ugg. Again...not sure how much they affected the game (dunno if Williams would have made a huge difference over Dorsey...D played well all night so tough to put it on them). What it does affect tho is the rest of the season. We are again shorthanded up front. Williams gone and McDonald gimpy. Reid may be out as well. Great. Just perfect. The worst part of the Reid hit is that he was trying to do the right thing when he got hurt. He was leading with his shoulder that he ended up getting hit in the side of the head. If he keeps his head up and see's his target (IE, doesn't use the crown of his helmet) he doesn't get hurt on the play.

6) "THE SEASON IS OVER!!!": OMG people please just STOP. LOL. Have just an OUNCE of PERSPECTIVE. I was pretty sure this was a game the 49ers were going to lose. If they lost by 2 or by 50...it adds up to ONE loss on the schedule. The Seahawks have a one game lead after 2 weeks. They won't win every game. Relax. Lemme roll off some scores for you....26-3. 42-13. Those are the scores of games the 49ers lost LAST YEAR. They still advanced to the Super Bowl. How about this score...40-8. 1994 Super Bowl Champion team...and THAT was at home. How about these....43-13 (Ravens last year), 49-24 (Giants the year before). Moral of this story? CHILL. It aint the end of the world. We are one game back with FOURTEEN left to play. LOL. The first 5 games of this season are a crucible. All we needed was to get out to a 3-2 or 4-1 start before we can start cruising a bit. We are 1-1 and now face a Colt team thats struggled, a Ram team I'm not convinced was all that good to begin with, and then the Texans who have performed miracles to win over so-so teams. We still get Seattle at home this year and they still have 7 more road games (although maybe we shouldn't count the Jags) where they went 3-5 last year. This is a LONG, LONG, way from being over.

7) O-Line: Rough, Rough night. Noise clearly affected them. Avril/Bennett getting an extra beat to get upfield and it showed. Anthony Davis just couldn't get back fast enough all night. As I said before, the combination of the secondary mauling the WRs and the Line getting Kap no time is what resulted in what we saw. No run lanes, No time, No open receivers = Ugly, ugly performance. I don't expect that to continue tho. No other team in the NFL is built to do what the Seahawks did last night. Nobody. Even the Seahawks would have trouble replicating it at Candlestick.

8) Aldon/Justin: Outside of that horrific penalty, Aldon's back. He is who we thought he was. 3.5 sacks already and played very, very well in the run game as well making a few tackles for loss. Justin is the same guy he's always been. That D-Line was NOT the reason they lost. Running a 7 man front all game against Seattle was going to catch up with them eventually.

9) Gameplan: I'm actually not upset about the offensive gameplan. You can look at what happened in the game and think that I just made a ludicrous statement, but hear me out first. The offensive gameplan was to run up tempo to tire that Seahawks D, silence the crowd somewhat, and prevent clock issues. They also ran completely silent for portions of the game. They could just never get any drive going long enough to tire the D. The problem wasn't the plan...it was the execution. Seattle was GLUED to receivers all night and the O-Line just couldn't get a push.

10) Is it Sunday yet? This one is gonna linger.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]
Kap cost us the game. Dude had open checkdowns throughout. Had Kyle Williams on a slant into the endzone, looked right at him, didnt trust his read then forced it to VD on a terrible throw that was picked. Just an awful awful awful performance. So disappointed.
[ Edited by Method on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Method:
Kap cost us the game. Dude had open checkdowns throughout. Had Kyle Williams on a slant into the endzone, looked right at him, didnt trust his read then forced it to VD on a terrible throw that was picked. Just an awful awful awful performance. So disappointed.

That wide open play should have got us the TD. I seriously couldn't believe he missed Kyle there. I still believe in Kap, but up there seems to be his kryptonite so far.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Method:

this, the dude played awful just no way to sugarcoat it. but I do expect him to bounce back and have a great season.
sorry marvin but the game plan was poor.

seattle's strength in that environment is their pass rush due to the noise and they already have a great secondary

so, instead of lining up i-formation and going traditional and pounding it w/ gore and allowing our o-line to be the aggressors, we instead had them going backwards in pass protection w/ that noise and the seattle pass rush fed off that, and it doesn't help that our wr's are no match for their secondary

it was a horrible game plan
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by iLL49er:

seattle's strength in that environment is their pass rush due to the noise and they already have a great secondary

so, instead of lining up i-formation and going traditional and pounding it w/ gore and allowing our o-line to be the aggressors, we instead had them going backwards in pass protection w/ that noise and the seattle pass rush fed off that, and it doesn't help that our wr's are no match for their secondary

this and the type of run plays we been calling the last two games are not working. I think they need to go back to a more traditional run offense.
Marv, this may be your best one yet! Way to come through.

I also noticed that (and had suggested it in our pre game thread) that we come out in a hurry, up-tempo game to try and take the crowd out of it early. We just couldn't get ANYTHING on first down allowing us any real options on 2nd downs+. Some was b/c of horrible touch passes by CK, jitters, nervousness, game delayed, etc. and the other was that it was Sunday Night Football. I know THAT sounds odd but one thing I've noticed about big hyped, nationally televised games is that there are only 2 outcomes 1) blowout or 2) game comes down to the final play.

Sadly for us, it became a blow out.

Aside from McDonald running right over Dick Sherman, I can't think of a single positive play. And this has been our trend. When we win, we click on all cylinders. When we lose, it's a collosal fail from top-to-bottom.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:56 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
btw I hate this f**king douche.

Originally posted by susweel:

this and the type of run plays we been calling the last two games are not working. I think they need to go back to a more traditional run offense.

When did we have a traditional run offense?
Two weeks in, and I think we've given the ball to an RB outside of the tackles once or twice. Everything's up the gut, into a mass of humanity for 1 or 2 yards. Looking like Singletary's offense.

Good job, Marvin.

I was hoping for a more imaginative game plan, but I guess what I really mean is a more successful one. D was great, except for penalties (as you note) and a couple of big plays. Wilson wasn't very good. Kap had a bad game. Every young QB does, usually way more often than he does.

And you are right, the season isn't over.

Did you see what happened when they ran up the middle? No movement. No hole. No nothing.

Agree to disagree I guess.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:

When did we have a traditional run offense?

maybe not tradition but we did run more with QB under center than having him him in the shotgun.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
btw I hate this f**king douche.

he was just another coach, an afterthought when we was with us back in the day. who would think we would hate him so much and his roots actually started with us. we created this monster
Omg the season is over
Share 49ersWebzone