There are 197 users in the forums

I-Formation, Two TE and Jumbo package.....anyone remember these?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kidash98:
Granted, they have a sick aZz secondary but damn. All the WR yesterday were blanketed... Pretty much the whole game.

Look at the WR snap counts again. Boldin and Williams got the bulk of the workload, but Patton and Moore got scraps in garbage time. We didn't even play all the WRs. Not even 3 of them regularly, it was a 2 WR offense. What we were doing failed miserably. 3 and 4 WR formations would have spread the field because that is what they are designed to do. Seattle's secondary is good, but they are not gods. They still have to account for the change in formation and adjust accordingly.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 9erempire:
What the hell happened to these plays?

I think they are out of the playbook essentially, in part due to the fact that kaepernick doesn't seem comfortable taking the ball under center, which also somewhat limits placation passes off fakes
Then He is not a pro bowl caliber Qb if he cannot run an offense from under center. If that is what the caching staff really thinks than we have the wrong QB running our team.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

Which is why you spread them out, that why you're not limiting yourself to just half a field dealing with Sherman going with a 2 WR set, like we did.

That will also open up the running game since it would for Seattle to drop that 8th man back into coverage.

Instead, we called a gameplan that played right into their strength and did exactly what they wanted us to do.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Seattle has a shutdown corner that can take away half the field. Sherman gives them a lot more flexibility bringing an extra safety in the box anytime they want. We don't have that luxury so this really isn't as black and white as you're it making it seem.

Which is why you spread them out, that why you're not limiting yourself to just half a field dealing with Sherman going with a 2 WR set, like we did.

That will also open up the running game since it would for Seattle to drop that 8th man back into coverage.

Instead, we called a gameplan that played right into their strength and did exactly what they wanted us to do.

Thank you.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Granted, they have a sick aZz secondary but damn. All the WR yesterday were blanketed... Pretty much the whole game.

Look at the WR snap counts again. Boldin and Williams got the bulk of the workload, but Patton and Moore got scraps in garbage time. We didn't even play all the WRs. Not even 3 of them regularly, it was a 2 WR offense. What we were doing failed miserably. 3 and 4 WR formations would have spread the field because that is what they are designed to do. Seattle's secondary is good, but they are not gods. They still have to account for the change in formation and adjust accordingly.
Hell many times we ran 1 WR with 2 TE the FB and Rb that will not work against the Seahawks. Many of those times only 2 went out on a route.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Hell many times we ran 1 WR with 2 TE the FB and Rb that will not work against the Seahawks. Many of those times only 2 went out on a route.

This. It's not surprising the best secondary in the NFL was able to shut down a passing offense that only sends out 3 pass catchers on a route at most. Had we ran spread the field with WRs we could have established more of a ground game and actually move the ball.

The spread is not just about throwing, its about creating room to run. That's the key
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM ]
  • Jiks
I just don't feel handing the ball off 5 yards back in the pistol is going to work. Even in college most pistol teams are more QB run, pass first oriented. It gives defenders more time to react when you are so far away from the Los. Does it work? Yes when defenses fall for it. But if they don't the last 2 games is what you will see. We can run it but it shouldn't be our base offense.

This. It's not surprising the best secondary in the NFL was able to shut down a passing offense that only sends out 3 pass catchers on a route at most. Had we ran spread the field with WRs we could have established more of a ground game and actually move the ball.

The spread is not just about throwing, its about creating room to run. That's the key
If we would ditch the read option and go back to pounding Gore between the tackles and add some play action things would be much better.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Ah, the usual post loss panic. I seem to remember quite a many folks complaining last year because we ran the jumbo sets too much and got nothing. Now were not running it enough. Oh football season, how I miss thee

Balance... We need to find a happy medium between the two styles...
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I just don't feel handing the ball off 5 yards back in the pistol is going to work. Even in college most pistol teams are more QB run, pass first oriented. It gives defenders more time to react when you are so far away from the Los. Does it work? Yes when defenses fall for it. But if they don't the last 2 games is what you will see. We can run it but it shouldn't be our base offense.

Gimmick offense that NFL defenses have already figured out. Both Seattle and San Fran seldom pass out of it so defenses no a run is coming.

If we would ditch the read option and go back to pounding Gore between the tackles and add some play action things would be much better.

The read option was great when it was unpredictable. I think the read-option can still be used with success, but you have to mix it up just like any other play. Run it too often and it loses that element of surprise.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]

Not necessarily because they still have Earl Thomas (all pro safety) who's versatile enough to cover a wideout in their nickel packages. Thomas coverage ability also gives Kam Chancellor more flexibility to creep into the box.

I'm sorry but I think it's very naive to expect Patton and Moore take Seattle out of their gameplan. They're very good defensively and last night their front four were manhandling our Oline.
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM ]
This is the formation the Niners needed to use when they where on the 5 yard line. Heck they could have brought Kilgore in as a second TE for a jumbo package.

That being said, the Niners just lost in all aspects of the game. Long season, we will no doubt see the seahawks in the play offs. This is why home field is SO SO important for the niners. The 12th man is for real.

Not necessarily because they still have Earl Thomas (all pro safety) who's versatile enough to cover a wideout in their nickel packages.

I'm sorry but I think it's very naive to expect Patton and Moore take Seattle out of their gameplan. They're very good defensively and last night their front four were manhandling our Oline.

If Thomas is covering a wideout, and Chancellor is still down in the box to form an 8 man front, that would leave Seattle with no safeties on the back end. Unless they sub out a LB for a DB, they would be very vulnerable in that situation especially if Vernon Davis were matched up with a LB. And if they put more DBs on the field, that is less of a stout front to stop the run.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Been wondering the same thing with the I-Formation. It wouldn't kill Harbs and Roman to use it a little more. jeesh the I is where Gore has had his most success.

yeah esp since harbs is screaming I-forming in that commercial
Share 49ersWebzone