LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

It's time to unleash the WEST COAST OFFENSE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erempire:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Agreed.

Starting to feel like, live by the pistol, die by the pistol.

We have to get back to our 2011 style imo. The pistol is there if and when we need it but please get back to power running, play action, long sustained drives that gives our D rest, etc.

That year our offense was so beautiful. Very innovative running scheme and we dominated with possessions. Suddenly, overnight, we became this passing spread option college type offense.

It really was. Seemed like we were "ahead of the game" to me. With the NFL spreading things out, we pulled it in and smashed. Why can't we do that AND have a dynamic QB in kap that could add that extra big play ability
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Been saying this since they made the switch to Kaep. I knew it was a matter of time before it caught up to us. You can't put the entire game plan on one player with such a basic offense. It was extremely arrogant and foolish to think that "we don't even need to call plays for Kaepernick" would be sustainable.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
We had one of the best running QBs in NFL history and he ran the WCO to perfection...so I agree with the premise of this thread.
Does anyone know if we're zone blocking on the O-line?

If we are, I think that's hurting them since they line was built to be physical and to bring it to the d-line, instead of letting the d-line come to them.
I agree the read option is a distraction to our offence, we need to get back to our identity ,power running game
Enough is enough of the Pistol sets. We cannot abandon our bread and butter because Colin can run. Our running game is better than Colin's ability to run. We need to stop getting into the shotgun or Pistol because it's not fooling anyone. Playing under center is still the best and much more deceiving where the run game is easier to establish. I don't know about most fans but I'm getting sick and tired of this Pistol.

We were actually a better team with Alex than we are with Colin. Colin's a better QB but that also forces us to use sets that we shouldn't be using.

Stopped reading after Alex
Cannot believe they relied on the RO as heavily as they did in the first half. If we established a solid running game in the beginning and didn't overdo it and get too cute and flashy, we would've had a chance...or at least made it a respectable loss. I'm so over the RO, it's a disaster and it will only hurt us. And hopefully this ass kicking will serve as a reality check for our stubborn coaches who have obviously gotten a little too enamored with it to the point where they don't think they need to change (Jim, Roman, looking at you). I'm completely in favor of reverting back to the WCO and ONLY unleashing the flashes of the RO on teams caught off guard like we did with the playoffs against GB. But we do NOT need it to win and I can only hope the coaching staff realizes this.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM ]
Man, where were all you guys last week?
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM ]
Enough is enough of the Pistol sets. We cannot abandon our bread and butter because Colin can run. Our running game is better than Colin's ability to run. We need to stop getting into the shotgun or Pistol because it's not fooling anyone. Playing under center is still the best and much more deceiving where the run game is easier to establish. I don't know about most fans but I'm getting sick and tired of this Pistol.

We were actually a better team with Alex than we are with Colin. Colin's a better QB but that also forces us to use sets that we shouldn't be using.

No we're not. Harbs' needs to run the offense with Kap like he did with A.Smith.
The honeymoon is over with the pistol. I'm not going to lie, it was a beautiful thing last year when it was a compliment to the 49ers base WCO offense. Both the Packers and Seattle showed that it is pretty easy to shut it down. Just run-blitz the hell out of the 49ers. The difference in the two games is that Seattle has the best secondary in the NFL and is allowed to play outside of the rules at the Clink... and GB has the worst secondary in the league.

In my opinion it is obvious that the pistol cannot be the centerpiece of an offense this year, the defenses have adjusted and adapted over the summer. The 49ers need to get back to the WCO they ran with Alex. I think that with Colin's arm and higher level of talent the 49ers can have great success with that offense. They can do the dinky dunk stuff to wear down the defenses but now they can take shots down the field more often like they did against GB.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]

Dang, we've been so successful with the pistol I forgot for a moment that we used to run the West Coast 2 seasons ago.
kap needs a running game, he alone is not our running game. take some pressure off the kid
The read option/ pistol should be part of a package, not the base offense. Should be mixed in from time to time.
The read option sure looked good when Seattle ran it. Nothing wrong with the read option being mixed in, but you need to execute it.
Share 49ersWebzone